[KERNEL]Droid DNA Cubed Kernel Stock/System Write/Unsec ADB[01.23.13]Added HSIC fix

Search This thread

kensikora

Jun 25, 2010
I'm hitting a wall here. I was running your other kernel version 2.2.3, ran into a few freezes on device wake, and saw that 2.3.2 might be a fix. Flashed the boot.img through fastboot, flashed the modules through recovery, and ended up with a bootloop.

At this point, I figured I might as well try this stock kernel since, to be totally honest, write to system was all I wanted. The problem is, the DNA.Stock.Kernel.zip won't flash in recovery. It keeps aborting, even when sideloaded.

I don't know enough adb to figure out exactly what the issue is, but if you need more information, I'll be glad to give it.

madAdam6LOVE

Jul 8, 2010
Gilford, NH
I'm hitting a wall here. I was running your other kernel version 2.2.3, ran into a few freezes on device wake, and saw that 2.3.2 might be a fix. Flashed the boot.img through fastboot, flashed the modules through recovery, and ended up with a bootloop.

At this point, I figured I might as well try this stock kernel since, to be totally honest, write to system was all I wanted. The problem is, the DNA.Stock.Kernel.zip won't flash in recovery. It keeps aborting, even when sideloaded.

I don't know enough adb to figure out exactly what the issue is, but if you need more information, I'll be glad to give it.

DNA.Stock.Kernel.zip is not flashable. Unzip and move boot.img to your computer. Flashboot the img. Then flash the modules zip.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: kensikora

elkay

Apr 6, 2005
github.com
Already installed the Cubed kernel and it fixed my problem with WiFi Tether. I guess WiFi Tether doesn't work well with Superuser, but SuperSU had problems with no write access to system so I was using Superuser. Kept getting NAT problems starting WiFi Tether no matter what settings or APK I used. As soon as I popped this kernel in and switched back to SuperSU, WiFi Tether started working perfectly without any other setting changes. Thanks for this kernel, big help! Also, thanks for the link to revert if I need to.

yearn2burn

Apr 3, 2011
Atlanta
Wifi problem

Wifi won't start with this stock/system write kernel. I've gone back and forth with the true stock kernel a couple of times and same thing. When I start wifi the first time, it just gets stuck with the turning on wifi... message, but never succeeds. Can't fully turn it off either, just sits in limbo, and even persists after reboot, clearing caches, etc, though I'm not willing to try factory reset. Going back to full stock fixes it.

dsb9938

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 17, 2010
Edison, NJ
Wifi won't start with this stock/system write kernel. I've gone back and forth with the true stock kernel a couple of times and same thing. When I start wifi the first time, it just gets stuck with the turning on wifi... message, but never succeeds. Can't fully turn it off either, just sits in limbo, and even persists after reboot, clearing caches, etc, though I'm not willing to try factory reset. Going back to full stock fixes it.

Then you aren't flashing the modules. Nothing is broken.

D

SAMPCam

Every time you update the kernel you'll want to flash the modules. Not doing so will cause a mismatch which won't allow the kernel to load the modules.

[Edit] whoops, someone beat me to it. Feel free to ignore. :p

rajuabju

Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles
www.rajuabju.com
Has anyone had any SOD's, Reboots, lockups, etc on this kernel?

I've been running DSB' other Cubed kernel but last few days have been a bit problematic with random reboots... so I'm fine with going back to stock, if I can keep write to system, as this kernel offers

elkay

Apr 6, 2005
github.com
No problems at all. I'd stick with this kernel if it provided two additional things, overclockability and the battery life fix in the kernel. Those are the only two things I really care about besides system write.

madAdam6LOVE

Jul 8, 2010
Gilford, NH
Has anyone had any SOD's, Reboots, lockups, etc on this kernel?

I've been running DSB' other Cubed kernel but last few days have been a bit problematic with random reboots... so I'm fine with going back to stock, if I can keep write to system, as this kernel offers

This kernel is 100% reliable. Tried Cubed 2.4.2 but too many reboots.

Don't forget to flash the Back to Stock zip before you switch.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

elkay

Apr 6, 2005
github.com
Hey dsb, I know you said you weren't going to maintain this kernel nor provide individual modifications to it, but is there *any* way you could compile this kernel with just the battery fix also in it from the other kernel? I would normally agree that individual requests would become overwhelming, but that fix isn't just a random feature request. It's an actual bug in the stock kernel that should really be addressed by HTC but obviously you beat them to it. It might also be a good test to see if that fix is what is causing the freezing problem on the other kernel, since the best way to test that (unfortunately) is probably going to be testing kernels by either inclusion of changes on stock, or exclusion of changes on modded. As a developer myself, I totally understand the frustration in tracking down bugs that can't be easily reproduced by any one given method. If you'd like someone to test the extra change, I'll gladly volunteer my device.

I understand if you don't want to fulfill this request, and no hard feelings if you can't or don't want to. Really appreciate all you've already done.

S121Guy

Mar 30, 2011
No problems at all. I'd stick with this kernel if it provided two additional things, overclockability and the battery life fix in the kernel. Those are the only two things I really care about besides system write.

Then download his other ROM

sent from my rooted DNA

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay folks. I built this for those of you who prefer to be on a mostly stock kernel.

It is all stock except you can write to /system, and adb shell as root.

I will not be modifying, maintaining, updating, or otherwise doing anything else with this.

If you are coming from my other kernel, you need to flash the return to stock zip in the OP of that thread first to restore your files.

Enjoy!

Droid DNA Cubed System Write Stock Kernel
    MD5: 78dba0c85090d89fd681269a09140e5f

D

Thread unlocked. Links up.

D

Added the HSIC fix to this so the stock folk can save some battery.

D

Can you make an overclock version too?

The end goal would be to include that, too. My primary focus is absolute stability, so overclocking won't be coming right away (but it will be on the short list). Since I'm going to have to follow the GPL in order to provide the kernel to you guys, I'm going to go official and set it up on github which might take a couple days since I'm also busy with a few real life things at the moment, too. I'm going to be splitting off from this thread for the release since it won't be this "stock" kernel anymore and I'm getting dsb's ok to include his system write patch in it. Between getting the source on github and ensuring that I've tested the stability thoroughly myself, I'm going to say probably Friday I'll start the new thread with my kernel ready for download.
    Hey dsb, I know you said you weren't going to maintain this kernel nor provide individual modifications to it, but is there *any* way you could compile this kernel with just the battery fix also in it from the other kernel? I would normally agree that individual requests would become overwhelming, but that fix isn't just a random feature request. It's an actual bug in the stock kernel that should really be addressed by HTC but obviously you beat them to it. It might also be a good test to see if that fix is what is causing the freezing problem on the other kernel, since the best way to test that (unfortunately) is probably going to be testing kernels by either inclusion of changes on stock, or exclusion of changes on modded. As a developer myself, I totally understand the frustration in tracking down bugs that can't be easily reproduced by any one given method. If you'd like someone to test the extra change, I'll gladly volunteer my device.

I understand if you don't want to fulfill this request, and no hard feelings if you can't or don't want to. Really appreciate all you've already done.