Tempered Glass - Recurring Problem

Search This thread

davpel

First, let me say that I'm not a novice with respect to tempered glass screen protectors. I've been using them since they first started coming out for the second gen iPhone and have continued to use them with every Android device I've owned for which they have been available. That being said, I'm having the strangest problem with these protectors on my LG G3 and I'm curious whether anyone else has experienced this.

I'm now on my third different brand of tempered glass screen protector for the G3. Each one has installed fine and looked great. But after a few weeks, each one started to develop an air bubble in the exact same spot. It is on the first right side along the edge about 1/3 from the top. The bubbles have consistently been about 3/4 of an inch long and cannot be pressed out. After it happened the first time, I assumed there was simply an adhesive issue with that particular brand. When it happened with the next one, I thought maybe there was dirt or oil built up on the spot and gave the whole screen a strenuous cleaning. But now it has happened again with the third protector and I'm extremely frustrated to the point where I'm considering going back to the old school, non-glass protectors.

Has anyone else been hit with this same problem?

S

soulysephiroth

I've had mine on since a week after release and have no problems

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

mjb152

Sep 13, 2013
seems rather odd, it's definitely in exactly the same place ?
that can only mean there's something on the screen then, and I'm not sure how the older style would help you any more ?

I ordered a cheap and cheerful glass protector from ebay.co.uk, it's 0.33mm thick, and has a small layer of glue (similar to LOCA you use replacing screens, but weaker so it can be removed easily). this layer helps it remove all bubbles and imperfections. Maybe try a protector which has this glue ?

Pilz

Dec 1, 2013
Texas
Maybe your phone has a slight defect causing the issue. Try looking to see if there is a chip, scratch or abnormality in the display

Also I've had many issues with Spigen and Xtreme Guard, howveve, my MIME is great!

Zb134

Dec 8, 2010
Montreal
I had tried two so far, Spigen and nillkiin, had issues with both with bubbles that won't go away. I had mine in different spots.
On closed inspection I realized that it is because the glass screen protectors where slightly bent at the corners. Maybe happend during installation. It needs to be perfectly flat, once bent you cannot do anything

AB_

Sep 25, 2009
I'm on my second iCarez protector and I too am having a reoccurring air bubble in the same spot. I thought about switching brands..

davpel

I'm on my second iCarez protector and I too am having a reoccurring air bubble in the same spot. I thought about switching brands..

seems rather odd, it's definitely in exactly the same place ?
that can only mean there's something on the screen then, and I'm not sure how the older style would help you any more ?

I ordered a cheap and cheerful glass protector from ebay.co.uk, it's 0.33mm thick, and has a small layer of glue (similar to LOCA you use replacing screens, but weaker so it can be removed easily). this layer helps it remove all bubbles and imperfections. Maybe try a protector which has this glue ?

Thanks. Any chance you remember which brand you ordered?

Crazypinoy9

Jun 19, 2010
I had the same bubbling problem with the iCarez. I switched to this one and haven't had an issue for a little over a week now.

GTiceman

Dec 3, 2007
I also had the issue with iCarez after about a week, contacted them and they sent me a new one. I told them if it happens again I expect another replacement and they assured me they would keep sending until there were no issues. Doesn't solve the problem though.

AllstarE4

Jan 8, 2012
I have the Zagg Glass and after a few weeks have noticed no issues at all. This is my first glass screen protector I've ever used and from reading about all the others I'm glad I spent the extra money for it. I actually got it for $27 during a sale they ran.

Sent from my LG-D850 using XDA Free mobile app

TD22057

Sep 6, 2010
I just applied a Tech Armor (.3 mm, 9h) glass protector and it went on very easily. A couple of small bubbles that were easy to remove and now I don't even notice that it's there (except that I think it's actually smoother than the regular glass). It was very cheap ($12 from amazon w/ free shipping) and seems to be good quality.