[Q] Problem with File transfers to SD Card

Search This thread

ashtonsd

Feb 7, 2014
I received my Note Pro (WiFi) on Wednesday. :)
It really is superb and I am loving it, however I have a really irritating problem.
When connecting to my PC and attempting to transfer content to the Micro SDCard (SanDisk 64gb - mainly video files) the connection frequently drops causing the transfer to fail. Sometimes it is fine for a file or two, sometimes it fails on the first file. The PC then cannot see any content on the card untl I reboot the Note Pro.
Any ideas?

Please note:
1) I have tried two other cards, another 64gb SanDisk and a 32gb Samsung but this happens with all transfers (suggesting its not the card)
2) All cards work fine in my Note 3 and Note 10.1 2014
3) Transfers to the internal memory are fast (on USB 3.0) and work fine (suggesting it is the Note Pro)
4) Transfers from my PC to my Note 3 and Note 10.1 2014 work fine (suggesting it is not the PC)
5) The problem occurs with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 transfers, and with various cables to any PC port
6) My MX Player Pro app cannot delete files from the SDCard but can see them
7) Some apps (e.g. My Drives) cannot see the SD Card but the stock apps can all see the content and delete/modify files
8) I have tried reformatting the cards both in the Note Pro and the PC but that makes no difference
9) I have used Kies 3 to re-install the USB drivers but this didn't cure the problem

As my primary use for the tablet is watching pre-downloaded video on my commute to work this is very frustrating.

It might be that this is a firmware problem that gets sorted as the device becomes more available and I am working round it atm.

Any help would be appreciated.

bitpushr

Retired XDA:Administrator
I received my Note Pro (WiFi) on Wednesday. :)
It really is superb and I am loving it, however I have a really irritating problem.
When connecting to my PC and attempting to transfer content to the Micro SDCard (SanDisk 64gb - mainly video files) the connection frequently drops causing the transfer to fail. Sometimes it is fine for a file or two, sometimes it fails on the first file. The PC then cannot see any content on the card untl I reboot the Note Pro.
Any ideas?

Please note:
1) I have tried two other cards, another 64gb SanDisk and a 32gb Samsung but this happens with all transfers (suggesting its not the card)
2) All cards work fine in my Note 3 and Note 10.1 2014
3) Transfers to the internal memory are fast (on USB 3.0) and work fine (suggesting it is the Note Pro)
4) Transfers from my PC to my Note 3 and Note 10.1 2014 work fine (suggesting it is not the PC)
5) The problem occurs with both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 transfers, and with various cables to any PC port
6) My MX Player Pro app cannot delete files from the SDCard but can see them
7) Some apps (e.g. My Drives) cannot see the SD Card but the stock apps can all see the content and delete/modify files
8) I have tried reformatting the cards both in the Note Pro and the PC but that makes no difference
9) I have used Kies 3 to re-install the USB drivers but this didn't cure the problem

As my primary use for the tablet is watching pre-downloaded video on my commute to work this is very frustrating.

It might be that this is a firmware problem that gets sorted as the device becomes more available and I am working round it atm.

Any help would be appreciated.

Are you able to check out logcat to see if it is spitting out any errors?

ashtonsd

Feb 7, 2014
Logcat

I have repeated the process a few times but cannot see anything obvious in logcat. There are certainly no errors in the log immediately after the event.

logcat.zip file attached.

Attachments

• logcat.zip
    109.1 KB · Views: 110

extrememonkey

Oct 13, 2010
I'm having a similar issue when transferring a 1.3g video file from my notepro storage to the micro sd card.... It starts to transfer the data and then fails.

It's like the sd card had been removed as when I look at the sd card using a file Explorer it is accessible but all info on the card isn't present. If I unmount the sd card I can't remount it, I have to manually remove the card and put it back in to see any info on the card!!!!

Definitely a faulty sd card reader or a bug in the firmware!!!

Sent from my SM-P900 using xda app-developers app

Reactions: ashtonsd

ashtonsd

Feb 7, 2014
I'm having a similar issue when transferring a 1.3g video file from my notepro storage to the micro sd card.... It starts to transfer the data and then fails.

It's like the sd card had been removed as when I look at the sd card using a file Explorer it is accessible but all info on the card isn't present. If I unmount the sd card I can't remount it, I have to manually remove the card and put it back in to see any info on the card!!!!

Well at least I know I am not going mad :laugh:716

Samsung will need to sort this out quickly with the impending release of the Note Pro in the US on 13th Feb.
I hope it can be fixed with a firmware update.

extrememonkey

Oct 13, 2010

Yes I know - whats the point of having a micro sd card slot if you cant write to the card!!! I know I can do this on my S4 and Note 2 and I used to be able to do this on my old 10.1 - all are rooted but that shouldn't make a difference!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 PM ----------

Just got off the phone to samsung support..... its definitely a problem with how 4.4 is implemented on the NotePro, even though the Samsung Support Guy did everything he could to blame my SD Card.

Hopefully a firmware update will fix it a little down the line.... so for the time being my micro sd card adapter is going to get a lot of use!!!!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

extrememonkey

Oct 13, 2010
Looking around the net and looking at Note 3 and Note 10.1 (2014) forums there have been lots of problems when people upgrade to 4.4 and aren't rooted.

It looks like the permissions are set to disable write access to the ext micro card, if your rooted it's is easy to change these, if your not it can't be changed.

Samsung will need to change these permissions if they see fit and release an update. I have sent an email to Samsung support advising them of the issue and also advising them how to fix it..... Just have to wait and see!!!

bitpushr

I have repeated the process a few times but cannot see anything obvious in logcat. There are certainly no errors in the log immediately after the event.

Maybe a problem with SELinux permissions on the card? I see a lot of errors with Knox/SELinux from that logcat.

MTP is the media transfer protocol.

W/ContextImpl( 7677): Calling a method in the system process without a qualified user: android.app.ContextImpl.sendBroadcast:1464 android.content.ContextWrapper.sendBroadcast:377 android.content.ContextWrapper.sendBroadcast:377 com.samsung.android.MtpApplication.MtpReceiver.finishSync:606 com.samsung.android.MtpApplication.MtpReceiver$2.handleMessage:485

W/ContextImpl( 7677): Calling a method in the system process without a qualified user: android.app.ContextImpl.sendBroadcast:1464 android.content.ContextWrapper.sendBroadcast:377 android.content.ContextWrapper.sendBroadcast:377 com.samsung.android.MtpApplication.MtpReceiver.finishSync:613 com.samsung.android.MtpApplication.MtpReceiver$2.handleMessage:485

I/SELinux (13275): Function: selinux_android_load_priority [0], There is no sepolicy file.

I/SELinux (13275):

I/SELinux (13275): Function: selinux_android_load_priority [1], There is no sepolicy version file.

I/SELinux (13275):

I/SELinux (13275): Function: selinux_android_load_priority , loading version is VE=SEPF_SM-P900_4.4.2_0004

I/SELinux (13275):

I/SELinux (13275):

I/SELinux (13275): selinux_android_seapp_context_reload: seapp_contexts file is loaded from /seapp_contexts

I/JAM ( 2248): isRunningJackd : stopped...

W/System.err(13275): java.lang.NoSuchFieldException: SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_REMOVE_NAVIGATION

E/JAM ( 5470): print sendControlCommand error: Invalid argument

W/System.err(13275): at java.lang.Class.getField(Class.java:724)

W/System.err(13275): at com.sec.android.gallery3d.util.GalleryFeature.checkSystemUiVisibility(GalleryFeature.java:1517)

W/System.err(13275): at com.sec.android.gallery3d.util.GalleryFeature.init(GalleryFeature.java:320)

W/System.err(13275): at com.sec.android.gallery3d.app.GalleryAppImpl.getDataManager(GalleryAppImpl.java:229)

W/System.err(13275): at com.sec.android.gallery3d.provider.GalleryProvider.onCreate(GalleryProvider.java:126)

W/System.err(13275): at android.content.ContentProvider.attachInfo(ContentProvider.java:1591)

W/System.err(13275): at android.content.ContentProvider.attachInfo(ContentProvider.java:1562)

W/System.err(13275): at android.app.ActivityThread.installProvider(ActivityThread.java:5029)

W/System.err(13275): at android.app.ActivityThread.installContentProviders(ActivityThread.java:4624)

W/System.err(13275): at android.app.ActivityThread.handleBindApplication(ActivityThread.java:4538)

W/System.err(13275): at android.app.ActivityThread.access$1500(ActivityThread.java:164)

W/System.err(13275): at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1318)

W/System.err(13275): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)

W/System.err(13275): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:157)

W/System.err(13275): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5341)

W/System.err(13275): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)

W/System.err(13275): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:515)

W/System.err(13275): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1259)

W/System.err(13275): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1075)

W/System.err(13275): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

E/EnterpriseContainerManager( 2707): ContainerPolicy Service is not yet ready!!!

As a temporary workaround you should be able to transfer files to the sdcard using an external reader. I should be getting mine soon so I can test this out.

Reactions: ashtonsd

deathdreams

Jul 16, 2007
Is this an issue with all note pro 12.2s? just returned one and ordered another for this issue... Was able to transfer to main memory over WiFi then copy to SD card but transferring to the SD card over WiFi was a 50/50 chance if even that...

ashtonsd

Feb 7, 2014
I was expecting a lot more reports once the tablet launched in the US but haven't seen too many so far.

It's a real pain but I can live with it. I'm waiting it out for firmware fix for now, but if that doesn't come then it's going back. There is time yet and I love the screen size too much to let it go...

Let us know how you get on with the replacement.

deathdreams

Jul 16, 2007
I was expecting a lot more reports once the tablet launched in the US but haven't seen too many so far.

It's a real pain but I can live with it. I'm waiting it out for firmware fix for now, but if that doesn't come then it's going back. There is time yet and I love the screen size too much to let it go...

Let us know how you get on with the replacement.

Same issue with replacement and replacement card... Can not transfer files using WiFi to SD card... Can transfer to device then copy to SD card, hook up usb cable and transfer to SD card or transfer through a card reader... hopefully Samsung will get on this quick like... lol ya that made me laugh too

Tension113

Dec 29, 2010
Is this just a problem with the UK version? I think I read somewhere the US version was coming shipped with an update that the UK version would soon be getting?.. If it makes anyone feel better, my US model has no problems at all syncing to the external over wifi..

The only problem I did run into was the changes of writing to the external sd with 4.4 Normally I would just make a folder anywhere on the external and sync my comics to it in the past.. but now, I had to copy my reader app to the external and then make the folder within that one in order to copy my books to it..

bitpushr

It looks like this is a widespread issue caused by Android 4.4. Since Samsung is running KitKat on these out of the gate, it seems to be a pretty widespread issue. From https://plus.google.com/+TodLiebeck/posts/gjnmuaDM8sn:

KitKat will make your SD Card completely useless: per the Android API specification, apps can no longer write files to your SD card. And Samsung is following it.

This only applies to dual-storage devices, i.e., devices with a user-writable internal flash storage AND a removable SD card.

From http://source.android.com/devices/tech/storage/index.html:

"The WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission must only grant write access to the primary external storage on a device. Apps must not be allowed to write to secondary external storage devices, except in their package-specific directories as allowed by synthesized permissions."

If your device has user-accessible internal flash storage, your SD Card is a "secondary external storage device".

What this means is that with KitKat, applications will no longer be able create, modify, or remove files and folders on your external SD card. As a for-instance, you can no longer use a file manager to copy files from your computer to the SD card over a network. This ability, which has existed since the beginning of Android, has been taken away.

The only stated reason for this removal of functionality is that, "Restricting writes in this way ensures the system can clean up files when applications are uninstalled." I do not pretend to understand this logic. Apps are still allowed to write in arbitrary directories on the primary storage (with the appropriate permission), but are denied the same access to external storage.

Samsung has implemented this feature with their KitKat OTA updates. Note3 users are now complaining that FX File Explorer can no longer write to their external SD cards. There are solutions to this problem for users with root access. Users without root access appear to be screwed.

I'm not quite certain how Google intends for you to place files on your SD card. Perhaps you have to use proprietary Google apps that contain permissions unavailable to the rest of the developer world. Perhaps you're supposed to put everything on the cloud and pay carrier data fees to get it there. Perhaps you're supposed to use some kind of WIRE to attach your WIRELESS device to your computer and have the computer do that work for you.

In my opinion this is a horrible misstep by Google and the Android Open Source Project. Functionality has been removed without reason, to the severe detriment of users and developers alike.

I apologize for not bringing this to everyone's attention when KitKat 4.4 was released, but it was not mentioned in the Android 4.4 changes document: http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-4.4.html. It's only mentioned in the article on source.android.com. I was only made aware of its existence from user reports as a result of Samsung implementing this change in its KitKat OTA updates.

Now, there is a fix for this, but you need a rooted device.

Reactions: Android.Ninja

Heppieboeddah

Feb 14, 2008

Android.Ninja

Jan 3, 2010
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
It looks like this is a widespread issue caused by Android 4.4. Since Samsung is running KitKat on these out of the gate, it seems to be a pretty widespread issue. From https://plus.google.com/+TodLiebeck/posts/gjnmuaDM8sn:

Hello All,

Since kitkat 4.4.2 was released on the Galaxy Note 3, many users were unable to write files to the External SD Card. Below is a simple fix for rooted users on the Galaxy Note 3 N9005 ( International Snapdragon Variant).

**Please be advised that I have only tested this on my personal N9005. However, you are free to test it on your own devices at your own risk!! **

1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions
2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...
4. Save the changes to the file.
5. Restart.

Attached is a copy of my platform.xml.

I have tested and can confirm following these directions to the letter on a rooted device, does solve the problem on the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - SM-P900. I'm now able to write & save to my Sandisk 64gb HS SD card without any problems at all! ;)

Developers don't need no stinkin' signature!
If I've been able to help you, please hit the "Thanks" button. ;)

Last edited:

Lordjish

Jan 1, 2011
Gardner, KS
I have tested and can confirm following these directions to the letter on a rooted device, does solve the problem on the Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 - SM-P900. I'm now able to write & save to my Sandisk 64gb HS SD card without any problems at all! ;)

Working for me as well!

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013

Is not working for me. Lost ability to see my sd card and all apps where failing. ALOT!! Not exactly sure what the issue was. I had to reflash using odin twice to fix the issue. Also before reflashing it seems I lost the ability to write to either sd card. Internal or external.

Duly.noted

Dec 5, 2013
Got it to work o the second try. Make sure the format is exactly the same when you add the new line or things go crazy

Sent from my SM-P900 using XDA Premium HD app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hello All,

Since kitkat 4.4.2 was released on the Galaxy Note 3, many users were unable to write files to the External SD Card. Below is a simple fix for rooted users on the Galaxy Note 3 N9005 ( International Snapdragon Variant).

**Please be advised that I have only tested this on my personal N9005. However, you are free to test it on your own devices at your own risk!! **

1. Using a root-enabled file manager, navigate to /system/etc/permissions
    2. Edit platform.xml and find the WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission.
    3. Add an additional group definition for this permission...
    4. Save the changes to the file.
    5. Restart.

Attached is a copy of my platform.xml.

Maybe a problem with SELinux permissions on the card? I see a lot of errors with Knox/SELinux from that logcat.

MTP is the media transfer protocol.

W/ContextImpl( 7677): Calling a method in the system process without a qualified user: android.app.ContextImpl.sendBroadcast:1464 android.content.ContextWrapper.sendBroadcast:377 android.content.ContextWrapper.sendBroadcast:377 com.samsung.android.MtpApplication.MtpReceiver.finishSync:606 com.samsung.android.MtpApplication.MtpReceiver$2.handleMessage:485

W/ContextImpl( 7677): Calling a method in the system process without a qualified user: android.app.ContextImpl.sendBroadcast:1464 android.content.ContextWrapper.sendBroadcast:377 android.content.ContextWrapper.sendBroadcast:377 com.samsung.android.MtpApplication.MtpReceiver.finishSync:613 com.samsung.android.MtpApplication.MtpReceiver$2.handleMessage:485

I/SELinux (13275): Function: selinux_android_load_priority [0], There is no sepolicy file.

I/SELinux (13275):

I/SELinux (13275): Function: selinux_android_load_priority [1], There is no sepolicy version file.

I/SELinux (13275):

I/SELinux (13275): Function: selinux_android_load_priority , loading version is VE=SEPF_SM-P900_4.4.2_0004

I/SELinux (13275):

I/SELinux (13275):

I/SELinux (13275): selinux_android_seapp_context_reload: seapp_contexts file is loaded from /seapp_contexts

I/JAM ( 2248): isRunningJackd : stopped...

W/System.err(13275): java.lang.NoSuchFieldException: SYSTEM_UI_FLAG_REMOVE_NAVIGATION

E/JAM ( 5470): print sendControlCommand error: Invalid argument

W/System.err(13275): at java.lang.Class.getField(Class.java:724)

W/System.err(13275): at com.sec.android.gallery3d.util.GalleryFeature.checkSystemUiVisibility(GalleryFeature.java:1517)

W/System.err(13275): at com.sec.android.gallery3d.util.GalleryFeature.init(GalleryFeature.java:320)

W/System.err(13275): at com.sec.android.gallery3d.app.GalleryAppImpl.getDataManager(GalleryAppImpl.java:229)

W/System.err(13275): at com.sec.android.gallery3d.provider.GalleryProvider.onCreate(GalleryProvider.java:126)

W/System.err(13275): at android.content.ContentProvider.attachInfo(ContentProvider.java:1591)

W/System.err(13275): at android.content.ContentProvider.attachInfo(ContentProvider.java:1562)

W/System.err(13275): at android.app.ActivityThread.installProvider(ActivityThread.java:5029)

W/System.err(13275): at android.app.ActivityThread.installContentProviders(ActivityThread.java:4624)

W/System.err(13275): at android.app.ActivityThread.handleBindApplication(ActivityThread.java:4538)

W/System.err(13275): at android.app.ActivityThread.access$1500(ActivityThread.java:164)

W/System.err(13275): at android.app.ActivityThread$H.handleMessage(ActivityThread.java:1318)

W/System.err(13275): at android.os.Handler.dispatchMessage(Handler.java:102)

W/System.err(13275): at android.os.Looper.loop(Looper.java:157)

W/System.err(13275): at android.app.ActivityThread.main(ActivityThread.java:5341)

W/System.err(13275): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invokeNative(Native Method)

W/System.err(13275): at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:515)

W/System.err(13275): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit$MethodAndArgsCaller.run(ZygoteInit.java:1259)

W/System.err(13275): at com.android.internal.os.ZygoteInit.main(ZygoteInit.java:1075)

W/System.err(13275): at dalvik.system.NativeStart.main(Native Method)

E/EnterpriseContainerManager( 2707): ContainerPolicy Service is not yet ready!!!

As a temporary workaround you should be able to transfer files to the sdcard using an external reader. I should be getting mine soon so I can test this out.

KitKat will make your SD Card completely useless: per the Android API specification, apps can no longer write files to your SD card. And Samsung is following it.

This only applies to dual-storage devices, i.e., devices with a user-writable internal flash storage AND a removable SD card.

From http://source.android.com/devices/tech/storage/index.html:

"The WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission must only grant write access to the primary external storage on a device. Apps must not be allowed to write to secondary external storage devices, except in their package-specific directories as allowed by synthesized permissions."

If your device has user-accessible internal flash storage, your SD Card is a "secondary external storage device".

What this means is that with KitKat, applications will no longer be able create, modify, or remove files and folders on your external SD card. As a for-instance, you can no longer use a file manager to copy files from your computer to the SD card over a network. This ability, which has existed since the beginning of Android, has been taken away.

The only stated reason for this removal of functionality is that, "Restricting writes in this way ensures the system can clean up files when applications are uninstalled." I do not pretend to understand this logic. Apps are still allowed to write in arbitrary directories on the primary storage (with the appropriate permission), but are denied the same access to external storage.

Samsung has implemented this feature with their KitKat OTA updates. Note3 users are now complaining that FX File Explorer can no longer write to their external SD cards. There are solutions to this problem for users with root access. Users without root access appear to be screwed.

I'm not quite certain how Google intends for you to place files on your SD card. Perhaps you have to use proprietary Google apps that contain permissions unavailable to the rest of the developer world. Perhaps you're supposed to put everything on the cloud and pay carrier data fees to get it there. Perhaps you're supposed to use some kind of WIRE to attach your WIRELESS device to your computer and have the computer do that work for you.

In my opinion this is a horrible misstep by Google and the Android Open Source Project. Functionality has been removed without reason, to the severe detriment of users and developers alike.

I apologize for not bringing this to everyone's attention when KitKat 4.4 was released, but it was not mentioned in the Android 4.4 changes document: http://developer.android.com/about/versions/android-4.4.html. It's only mentioned in the article on source.android.com. I was only made aware of its existence from user reports as a result of Samsung implementing this change in its KitKat OTA updates.

Working for me as well!