[1-24-11 Update][Discussion] Windows Mobile Last Stand New Thread UP!!

What do you like Windows Mobile?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Search This thread

angelfire226

Apr 21, 2008
Portland, OR
I use wm6.5.x on my HD2 and love it! I will use it as long as it is possible for everyday use. i have tryed Android (i have it on SD) and i think its OK for games etc. So if I wanna play, I boot android. I have also Ubuntu on SD. Thats just cool! :D But in the end, its windows mobile running on the phone.
I'm so happy to see that I'm not alone in the world of WM. Coz I felt really alone :S
I hope WM never dies!
If I can contribute in any way to keep this awsome OS alive, let me know.

Ohh, I forgot. I want to use the opportunity to give a big thanks to all the developers who has made my HD2 to what it is! We should port WM to the newer devices, like HD7 etc hehe :D
I am sitting here with a tear in my eye. I feel like I've lost a long trusted friend. I have been feeling the pinch of looking at new phones recently as I did last year when I saw the HD2 lacking the TP2's keyboard and stylus. I am so upset with Microsoft for selling us out with promises again and again for an upgrade. Nice upgrade, Bill. You are losing your best customers. I use XP, WM and occasionally office suite and MS reader on WM. By eliminating WM, I have no further need for any of these except XP. Hrmmm... Can anyone say... Linux?

Thinking about switching to anything but a TP2 style device with better hardware and WM is just not an option for me. What? No memory card? I would die without at least an 8 gig card on top of the OS, usually needing 16 and I need a damn keyboard. I hate fat-finger retyping from an onscreen keyb.

I have read the first 9 pages of this thread waiting for someone to look at the only obvious option, a device with more power to run the existing OS, IF we can't port the new one. I'm really not unhappy with anything about 6.5, but I wish I had double the cpu and ram and maybe a few more great apps, like an amazing Google Voice app or suite that will dial out like icontact/idialer and dial back in like agephone and will run on wifi/3g.

Being a tech, when I made the switch from symbian to wm I was sold for life. I'm not dead yet. If WM dies, I'm keeping my TP2 with WM 6.5 until either it dies or I do, whichever comes first.

PS... Thanks to all the amazing and wonderful people here on xda that have given me such wonderful apps and toys to play with and continue to work on the development of 6.5 apps and are also working on solutions such as the Rhodium Droid projects. I can't wait to see more of what you all come up with for the LAST GREAT WINMO DEVICE!

xoxo

-Angel

Last edited:

dpowd

Sep 23, 2007
Fort Worth, Texas
Amen!

I cannot count how many times I've made these same arguments to friends and family defending my choice to use WinMo devices. My first was a Dell Axim X-30, then an Axim X-51V, an HTC Fuze, and an HTC TP2. Although I've tried several ROMs on each, seasoned with whatever the UI flavor of the month was, I always settled back to the classic Today screen. It gave me exactly what I needed. I ran Ultimate Launcher with three tabs: one that showed icons for about 25 programs. I could launch any of them from the Today screen - no swiping neccessary. And I could still see my messaging and Pocket Informant widgets all at once. The other two tabs held Battery Status and Pocket Weather, two more great programs.
To those that have commented in this thread about the lack of App Development for WinMo, have you never visited Handango.com (or other, similar websites)? There are hundreds (probably thousands) of programs for our devices. I deliberately do not call these "Apps" - the popcorn and bubblegum bull**** that tiles the real estate of iPhone screens everywhere. These are programs that cost some money. But you got what you paid for - mature, full-featured software that did some useful function, and did it well. In many cases, you also got the program's big brother to load onto your PC, at no extra charge! And, the two programs would synchronize with each other whenever you put the mobile device into a charging cradle. Anytime I've upgraded to a new ROM or new device, I just re-instrall the CAB files for my programs, enter the activation codes, and my programs are up and running without requiring any internet access. It seems that Android Apps want to phone home every three minutes, exchanging heaven-knows-what information about who or where I am.
I still have the last three of my WinMo devices, and yesterday, I bought a Samsung Infuse. It's a gorgeous phone, but this Android OS is driving me crazy. How could anyone design such a fantastic piece of hardware that is so entirely useless? Who does that? (besides Apple, I mean :) ). Most of the programs that I like aren't available for Android, and the ones I have found are heavily watered down compared to their WinMo versions. Very disappointing.
I've had an Android phone for about 34 hours, and all I think of is, there's got to be a way to get WinMo 6.5 on here. I read in a couple of the posts about running a dual-boot off of the SD card. Is that even possible?
Thanks for starting this rant. Long live WinMo.

HD2of4

Apr 4, 2010
Graz
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Hello!
i love WinMo too!
my point of view:
iPhone = SmartPhone
WindowsPhone 7 = SmartPhone
Android = SmartPhone
WindowsMobile = PocketPC

i like it, to have a PC in my Pocket and not only a Phone..! :)
and with XDA-Developers (tank you all!), whe cane use other "SmartPhone" OS, like Android, WP7 or BlackBerry to go with the future to use some newer app's or other.
WindowsCE is now 14 years old and its still there..! Keep it alive!!! :D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    WM Last Stand HQ Codeplex Source

New Project Thread

Why Save Windows Mobile?
    Code:
    [I]ok so the reason i amposting this thread is because we all know that windows mobile is dying due to: windows phone 7, android os, web os, and iphone os. i say that is total bs. not just because i am a die hard WM fan but because we are still creating more possibilities for our current WM devices. MAny of us have WVGA devices: topaz, rhodium, leo. and there are VGA, HVGA, and QVGA users out there too. and alot of us either cant change to newer phones because of the plan we are on (im on sprint SERO), no money, or we just want to keep the phones we have. i fall under all the above.  
    More and more worderful mods are arrising for HTC Sense, like CHT, new tabs, and max manila. we have fully customizable themes for nearly everything. will we see this kind of user capability on WP7? not sure as of yet. 
    So here is my proposition. We can let windows mobile die like the outside world wants, or we can keep on pushing until it is illegal to do so. [/I]

im just combining all the ideas that i know many of you want to see happen:

In my opinion. the WM UI is so barebone and versatile, all the resources we have now can make this last alot longer. just put the pieces to the puzzle together. If any of you developers out there are interested. please let me know so i can update the post.

TEAM WM

I will try to post more info as i create it or find it

TO BE CONTINUED......
    ok guys i got an invitation to this "WM Group" and i fully support it. Yes i am one of those people that believe, that winmo can do all the things that other platforms can do.
    Tell me what android can do better than winmo for example. All that it has (and winmo cannot have) is animations. You wanna talk to me about the marketplace? Yes sure, it is a nice free library that you can find almost anything fast, but still this can work on winmo too, the only problem is that a lot of apps are paid in winmo (and they should be, developers need support, they don't work for fun)

WP7 is a useless thing. Microsoft had something with 1000 potentials, and they gave us something with 100. All it can do is play xbox games. The guys didn't even include silverlight or flash or countries support (good luck with that). Don't tell me that it will come with the next update and blah blah blah. They had like 5-6 years at least in order to complete this "operating system", and the final result was a black themed iphone with boxes.

I was testing WP7 on my HD2 earlier, and i was thinking that at least 60% of the things i was seeing there, can be transfered to winmo.

Anyway, it is true that a lot of developers have moved over to android or wp7 or iphone. I don't think that there is a chance of bringing them back, but i do believe that a new developer team can take place, and fill in the "gaps". But these people need motivation, and most of the time, this means donations. People go where money go.

I am doing my part with RapidRead :), when i saw that TapaTalk was not going to happen on winmo, i was pissed, so i decided to do it on my own.
    Not alone

LOL I'm so glad that there are other people here who can see past the shiny. I have both a Rhodium and a Leo, and if the two had a baby that had the CPU and RAM of the Leo with the form factor of the Rhodium, it'd be awesome. I've always felt that if Microsoft decided to buy Sense from HTC and market the hell out of it that there'd be a whole lot more people using the phone.

Just the other day, I went into the T-Mobile store and the guy was trying to get me to buy an HD7. He was like, "Have you tried it out?"
    Me: "Not really. Why would I want it?"
    Him: "Try it, you'll like it."
    Me: "So...does it do Swype?"
    Him: "No."
    Me: "Does it do Remote Desktop?"
    Me: "Does it sync SMS messages with Exchange 2010?"
    Me: "Can I use the SD card in mass storage mode?"
    Me: "Can I play XviD files natively?"
    Me: "So basically what you're telling me is that every feature I actually USE on my present phone is unavailable?"
    Him: "...yes"
    Me: (plants tongue in cheek) "You might want to work on your sales pitch a bit"

We both had a good laugh.

Joey
    Good idea.
    Personally I have tried Android on my HD2 and come back to WM 6.5.2 as WM still has convinience of functionalities relevant to corporate/business environment.
    I'm not sure that other OS are easier to develop for, but then again I don't think this is the problem; in fact this might be the problem with other OSs. Frankly there are a lot of 'developers' that someone should take away their compilers, for example let’s consider background tasks. I have WM apps that do real time monitoring of something, and if an event occurs, they alert the user (who is rather happy and grateful to be alerted of the situation), now can I move that app to the iPhone or Windows Phone, nope, because they decided that since so many 'developers' have problems with running a task when it shouldn't, that they would fix the problem by simply removing the OS's ability to run apps in the background, certainly one way to fix the problem, but certainly not the only or perhaps the best way to fix the problem. Certainly there was some education presented around apps handling a WM_Hibernate event etc, but I think some user education is also needed no matter what platform is used as you can expect a small battery to run your phone, music, screen, GPS, Bluetooth, Wifi, etc as there are limits as to how much power you can store in a battery small enough to fit into a mobile device. Again the solution from a number of the platform vendors seems to have been to simply drop that capability, and again perhaps not the best solution as it again penalizes those who know how to manage power on their system and wanted to do those things for reasonable amounts of time or in powered situations (maybe this is the domain of a tablet for example, given its larger and can have a larger battery, but it’s not as mobile as a phone for example).

Now Gestures are another area supposedly where Windows Mobile is lacking and I have been spending a lot of time lately thinking about Gestures and what they are and how they are used, and I don't think that most people understand them or what they mean to an OS or app. The reality is a double click is as much a gesture as anything else, but the real issue with gestures is, there has to be a meaning associated with a gesture. Nodding or shaking my head is a gesture, but it only has meaning because there is a previous agreement between people as to what it means. An OS or an App is very much the same, either it knows that a gesture means or you provide it with a way to learn a gesture, but this is actually very difficult to do and really no OS or app is doing this currently.

So ultimately the question is, what is wrong with Window Mobile? Certainly the graphics are somewhat dated, but otherwise whats the problem? One huge problem is the Telco's. The concept of locking a phone means it can be locked to a contract and updating the phone means the contract can be updated (extended), and this is counterproductive to the technology. Telco's really don't want you getting an update as you might not update your phone and hence your contract (extend your contract). XDA is a threat to telcos in that if you update your own phone with the uber cool firmwares the chefs here make, then you are less likely to 'need' a new phone and less likely to extend your contract (you’ll likely keep your contract, but not in a locked in state) . It comes down to a simple question, why do people get new phones, what new functionality does a new phone offer? Some might claim that a new phone is more reliable, possibly (no doubt given in some ways its less capable it should be more reliable), I know my old HTC Universal was pretty good, and my HTC HD2 has been great, functionality wise I'm not sure what I'm lacking, in fact I often feel the newer OS are lacking. In short I don't know why people use other OS's on their phone as I can't think of a killer reason to move away from Windows Mobile other then lack of interest, but that hasn't been a problem yet.

Now how prevent lack of interest from becoming a problem? Developers go to where the money is (and the tools). Windows Mobile has some really good and mature development tools etc, but is there enough reward to motivate them. Certainly folks on XDA should chip in a donation to their favourite chef or two to help motivate and enable them to continue cooking up great firmwares. We need to hear some developer success stories so developers understand that worthy efforts will gain a worthy reward and certainly users need to understand that encouragement is needed otherwise Windows Mobile will lose what interest is remaining (certainly there are forces which are trying to suck away interest from Windows Mobile, so it really is up to the user community to resist and create its own interest). So what do users need to maintain or grow their interest in Windows Mobile?