[Q] International/global S5 questions.

Search This thread

vexsilver

Jul 26, 2013
Hey all posting here and a bit new, so excuse me as I had some questions.

Now, I have done research on unlocked factory phones for S5 but wanted to clarify as I will not jump into a purchase yet. I am thinking about a factory unlocked phone for the S5 on ebay. But, as I understand, this runs on GSM internationally. I am thinking of bringing one to Verizon, but as I am aware they run on Cdma technology and I wouldn't be able to use a sim card. Also, is it true the Exynos version of the S5 doesn't actually have LTE yet? If so, it may be a deciding factor.

Also, my girlfriend wants to possibly bring one to Virgin Mobile but I didn't think that you could as they are also Cdma. Again, wasn't sure how this would apply to unlocked phones from the factory that weren't locked to any carrier. I would also check the frequency, but there is no point of the international version has no ability to utilize LTE which are pretty fast in my areas. Any insight is greatly appreciated and as mentioned, I tried up read up a lot, but still want to make sure I fully understand. Thanks!

Hellscythe

Sep 8, 2012
straya kienttt
Hey all posting here and a bit new, so excuse me as I had some questions.

Now, I have done research on unlocked factory phones for S5 but wanted to clarify as I will not jump into a purchase yet. I am thinking about a factory unlocked phone for the S5 on ebay. But, as I understand, this runs on GSM internationally. I am thinking of bringing one to Verizon, but as I am aware they run on Cdma technology and I wouldn't be able to use a sim card. Also, is it true the Exynos version of the S5 doesn't actually have LTE yet? If so, it may be a deciding factor.

Also, my girlfriend wants to possibly bring one to Virgin Mobile but I didn't think that you could as they are also Cdma. Again, wasn't sure how this would apply to unlocked phones from the factory that weren't locked to any carrier. I would also check the frequency, but there is no point of the international version has no ability to utilize LTE which are pretty fast in my areas. Any insight is greatly appreciated and as mentioned, I tried up read up a lot, but still want to make sure I fully understand. Thanks!

as far as I know the GS5 is not dual radio, so it is GSM only, if you want to use it on CDMA, you probably have to buy from the carrier. But be warned, as of now there is no chance of bootloader unlocking and root on many carrier devices.
Exynos version has no LTE and has very little dev support.

vexsilver

Jul 26, 2013
as far as I know the GS5 is not dual radio, so it is GSM only, if you want to use it on CDMA, you probably have to buy from the carrier. But be warned, as of now there is no chance of bootloader unlocking and root on many carrier devices.
Exynos version has no LTE and has very little dev support.

Hey there and thanks for taking the time to reply. Yeah seems like the phones too fresh. I will think about that then and maybe give the phone more time. Meanwhile, seeing what my S3 could do for flexibility. :)