Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

EaterOfCorpses

Jul 24, 2012
Bug report 2:

try this in your code and enjoy :D

Code:
Object l = WP7RootToolsSDK.Registry.GetValue(WP7RootToolsSDK.RegistryHyve.LocalMachine,@"Software\Microsoft\GwpCPC","ActivationCode");
                MessageBox.Show(l.ToString());

when you run this code you get an excption like shown here http://imgur.com/l3BJc :(

Heathcliff74

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2010
Heathcliff Great work!,

just a question (or 2)

1. What is this type?
Code:
RegistryValueType.Boolean
its not in the list on MSDN, you are confusing meh :(

2. How do I create a REG_QWORD or _REG_EXPAND_SZ in the registry?

3. and after being coding a bit most things return null :(

like if you register

Code:
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\test]
"Expand!"=hex(2):aa,aa,aa,aa,aa
"Dword"=dword:03262354
"binary"=hex:af
":eek:"=hex(7):4f,00,68,00,20,00,4d,00,79,00,20,00,47,00,61,00,77,00,64,00,00,00,\
  4e,00,4f,00,4f,00,4f,00,4f,00,4f,00,00,00,00,00

and you request the value of ":eek:" its null and the type is Unknown and of "binary" also :(

1. Boolean type does indeed not exist. It is a left-over from an earlier abstraction-layer. I will remove it for the next release.

2. Those types are not supported by this SDK, because they are barely used anyway.

3. I dunno, why that doesn't work for you. In my case all binary read- and write-operations on the registry work as expected.

Bug report 2:

try this in your code and enjoy :D

Code:
Object l = WP7RootToolsSDK.Registry.GetValue(WP7RootToolsSDK.RegistryHyve.LocalMachine,@"Software\Microsoft\GwpCPC","ActivationCode");
                MessageBox.Show(l.ToString());

when you run this code you get an excption like shown here http://imgur.com/l3BJc :(

Are you sure, you are not just missing the WPInteropManifest.xml file in your project? Read the SDK instructions closely and make sure you didn't miss a step.

Ciao,
Heathcliff74

PS. This is actually an old thread. SDK thread is here. :)

Reactions: EaterOfCorpses

EaterOfCorpses

Jul 24, 2012
(facepalm) last one was my dumb fault :c forgot the whole interop procces, My fault :shame:

2. I understand but Im making a backup of the whole registry so I cant place it back :(
3. Yeah everything goes fine except that, and btw hex(7) is a REG_MULTI_SZ so maybe you could look into it? I could create a test case for you

And yeah I will post my next complaints there :p

Thank you Heathcliff :)

Heathcliff74

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2010
2. I understand but Im making a backup of the whole registry so I cant place it back :(

3. Yeah everything goes fine except that, and btw hex(7) is a REG_MULTI_SZ so maybe you could look into it? I could create a test case for you

Restoring a complete registry is generally not a good idea. A lot of stuff is related to other parts of the system, like files and certain databases. So if you only restore the registry and not all other stuff, your device will probably not run anymore. A backup of the registry is useful. I've done my own registry dumps for research-purposes, but also to make snapshots before and after certain operations to see which parts of the registry are touched. For restore, I would suggest you only restore selected parts that are actually suitable for restoring. For now, you should just skip the unknown-values. I have a lot of things on my to-do-list. Some of them are related to the SDK. But I don't plan on adding more registry-types now, because there are things with higher priority now. Sorry.

If you send me a test-project for that multi-string, I will see if I can reproduce the problem and fix it.

Ciao,
Heathcliff74

EaterOfCorpses

Jul 24, 2012
Restoring a complete registry is generally not a good idea. A lot of stuff is related to other parts of the system, like files and certain databases. So if you only restore the registry and not all other stuff, your device will probably not run anymore. A backup of the registry is useful. I've done my own registry dumps for research-purposes, but also to make snapshots before and after certain operations to see which parts of the registry are touched. For restore, I would suggest you only restore selected parts that are actually suitable for restoring. For now, you should just skip the unknown-values. I have a lot of things on my to-do-list. Some of them are related to the SDK. But I don't plan on adding more registry-types now, because there are things with higher priority now. Sorry.

If you send me a test-project for that multi-string, I will see if I can reproduce the problem and fix it.

Ciao,
Heathcliff74

im sorry :(

I will send the test case,

Its just now everything except dword and string is unknown :( maybe if I do get the type i could use the Registry.GetBinaryValue and so forth

Success

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Download: www.wp7roottools.com

Today I am proud to announce the immediate availability of WP7 Root Tools 0.9 alpha and WP7 Root Tools SDK 0.1!

WP7 Root Tools 0.9 brings true Root Access to devices with stock ROM's, but it also works on devices with custom ROM's and Full Unlock. Your device needs to be Interop Unlocked to use WP7 Root Tools!

This is still an alpha-release, because there are a lot of new hacks and the tools are still not feature complete! I have rewritten about 75% of all code from the previous release. So before you install WP7 Root Tools you should make a backup of your device. WP7 Root Tools will make changes to system settings and, although this has been tested, it is still possible that a problem occurs. In that case you want to have a recent backup of your device. Installing WP7 Root Tools will be your own responsibility. The author of WP7 Root Tools and the SDK cannot be held responsible for any damages caused directly or indirectly by installing and using WP7 Root Tools or the SDK!

Windows Phone is a closed system to protect the user and his/her personal data from malware and to protect the intellectual property of the developers. The downside of this closed system is that homebrew developers are very limited in their ability to control and tweak a Windows Phone device. With WP7 Root Tools I attempt to open up the system in a gentle way, so that users stay in control of their device, while homebrew apps can get more control to get the maximum power out of your Windows Phone device!

WP7 Root Tools 0.9 now has a File Explorer, Registry Editor, Certificate Installer and a Policy Editor! Thanks to true Root Access on Windows Phone, this new version of WP7 Root Tools will work a lot faster than previous releases and it supports a lot more devices!

WP7 Root Tools should work on these devices:

- Samsung first and second generation devices
    - LG devices
    - HTC first generation devices with Mango v1 drivers (SPL 4.x or lower)
    - Samsung first generation devices with custom ROM and Full Unlock
    - HTC first generation devices with custom ROM and Full Unlock

On devices with stock ROM's WP7 Root Tools need to install Root Access. The first time it runs, a 2-phase-installation will start. The app will inform you to start the first install-phase. Then the device will reboot after a few seconds. After the reboot you need to start WP7 Root Tools again immediately! Then the second phase of the installation will start and your device will be rebooted again. After the second reboot you are ready to use WP7 Root Tools. You can use the Policy Editor to give other homebrew app a "trusted" status. With this you will give the app Root Access privileges. So be very careful to which app you give Root Access!! You are responsible for giving access to an app! If you are not sure, read the forums to decide if an app is trust-worthy.

I also created an SDK, which developers can use to profit from Root Access. It provides a way to gain access to the filesystem and the registry (and more) from their managed Silverlight application. No need to worry about COM interop and C++ anymore! The package contains a read-me with short instructions. More details and examples will follow soon! Over the last days Rafael Rivera from the Chevron WP7 team has tested the SDK and he is finishing up the first homebrew app that will use my SDK. He is planning to release his Backup-app soon.

I also need to thank some people for making this possible:

- My wife! (for having to put up with me while doing all this hacking!)

- YukiXDA (for helping me with research on policies)
    - Justin Angel (for sending me a NOKIA)
    - Cees Heim (for supplying an HTC device for testing)
    - Rafael Rivera and Chevron WP7 team (for pioneering WP7 Unlocking)
    - HD2Owner (for helping me make custom ROM's for testing)
    - fiinix (for helping me with research on policies)
    - Ultrashot
    - xb0xm0d
    - AndrewSh
    - Ondraster
    - Barin
    - Football
    - Cmonex
    - GoodDayToDie
    - Jaxbot
    - Dennis Wilson

I will update the guides and manuals on www.wp7roottools.com and here on XDA in the next coming days. I need some time to update all of it.

Have fun with Homebrew now!

Heathcliff74
    I will release WP7 Root Tools 0.10 this weekend. It will have new features, but the new unlock is not yet ready. So it won't be in this version. I will release this version, because the current version will expire this weekend. I will release another version with the new unlock soon after this. The main feature of the new unlock is that you can run homebrew native executables.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74
    Just a little progress report. I've not been very active in the forums in the last weeks. That's not because I didn't work on WP7 Root Tools. On contrary, I'm working really hard on this and I need to be focused on Research and Development, because the features I work on are extremely complex. But most research is done and I'm making real good progress on the development.

I'm mainly working on letting custom executables run with root access. And also some other nice features. I have not tested these hacks for drivers, like the DFT BT drivers. I will see if I can get that working too.

After this I will try to make this work on more devices.

When WP8 comes all hacking probably needs to be done from scratch. Hacking bootloaders will be more difficult due to SecureBoot. My hacks will probably not be affected by SecureBoot, but my guess is that the policy engine is rewritten for a significant part, because the new filesystem is based on NTFS. That probably means that the policies are not configured in the policy database, but in the filesystem itself.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74
    Heathcliff74, a quick question to you: could you please provide us a little hint about Nokia hack status? Should we expect some tremendous news in near future? ;) Nokia Lumia 900 is coming so I'm extremely interested :eek:

Could take minutes, could take months. There is really no way of telling this. It's a matter of finding an exploit. I'm working on that.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74