[MOD][Player 5]Tablet Mode for ICS ROMs - New versions[9/8/12]

Search This thread

Burban502

Sep 12, 2007
/TN/Decatur
Yeah it probably won't boot. If you can upload your services.jar from /system/framework I can make a patch for you. Might have to wait until Sunday as I'm busy until then

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

Ah, well... booting would indeed be a problem
eek.gif
lol.

As for time, no rush! I'll get you the file as soon as I update to Milestone 6.

Supermaster34

Jan 6, 2012
London
www.team-remics.com
Hey Supermaster, here's the Services.jar.

Thanks, and take your time, prioritize more important stuff if you need
highfive.gif

I've made the modification, and it should work on any ICS rom, but it will work best on the rom from which the services.jar you provided came from. It was from AOKP Milestone 6 right?

The installation instructions are available in the OP, but flash the zip file attached instead of the ones linked in the OP. Also I've included Apex Launcher in the zip file but if it doesn't install then just download it from Google Play

Attachments

• Fascinate_Tabletmode_Supermaster34.zip
    3.4 MB · Views: 17

Higgs_Boson

Jul 7, 2012
Quick Question...
I seem to remember seeing somewhere in this thread that even after flashing the tablet mod, phone UI is still accessible. Is this correct, and if so, how does one switch back and forth? Thanks.

Burban502

Sep 12, 2007
/TN/Decatur
I've made the modification, and it should work on any ICS rom, but it will work best on the rom from which the services.jar you provided came from. It was from AOKP Milestone 6 right?

The installation instructions are available in the OP, but flash the zip file attached instead of the ones linked in the OP. Also I've included Apex Launcher in the zip file but if it doesn't install then just download it from Google Play

Thanks a ton for this :) (sorry for the delayed reply)
Yes, it was AOKP M6 that I'm using. And I'm not 100% sure, but I think AOKP is already packaged with Apex. Regardless of whether or not it does, if I did not want to run a different launcher, will it be fine with running it's current one (whatever that may be)? I'm just used to that launcher and otherwise have no problems with it (I had removed all the Phone/Contacts shortcuts from the wall's 4 slots long ago anyways [that the Nav Bar you say to enable?]).

Then do I need to reflash my current ROM, or can I simply boot into Recovery and install it how everything sits? I haven't had AOKP M6 on long, I had just flashed it shortly before I uploaded the file for you.

Just change the DPI to something above 128 for Phone UI and between 120 and 128 inclusive for Tablet UI
I was curious about this part, since the Galaxy S' DPI is 240, won't this effectively cut the resolution in half? Or are we just selecting 120-128 numerically in order to enable Tablet mode, and it still will operate at the displays native DPI?

Which reminds me, I had taken a look at the "build.prop" and under "ro.build.characteristics" it's property key has "tablet" entered. That won't conflict with this any will it? (I wasn't changing anything in the file, just perusing, as I know _zero_ about Android/Linux :eek: lol)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Tablet Mode for Galaxy Player 5 ICS ROMs - Supermaster34

I consider the galaxy player to be a sort of mini tablet, but so far most of the available roms use a Phone UI. The Phone UI is great, but the user experience can be enhanced with the addition of Tablet Mode. I know tablet mode has been applied to the Player 5 before, but on an old and buggy rom, so I decided to fiddle with a few bits and bobs and I managed to activate Tablet Mode. One of the best things about my MOD is the ability to apply the patch to any ICS rom. There may be a few UI bugs, but everything works as it should :)

Features:
    • Tablet Apps can be used
    • The Status Bar and Navigation Bar combine to form the Combined Bar
    • Landscape Lockscreen
    • Full Album Art displayed on Lockscreen
    • Apex launcher runs very smoothly in tablet mode
    • Can be applied to any ICS rom (I think)

Installation Instructions

RemICS-UX v1.3.1+:
    1. Install the latest version of RemICS-UX if you don't already have it installed
    2. Flash the RemICS-UX tablet mode zip file in recovery. No need to wipe anything, just flash it
    3. Boot into the rom and download LCD Density Modder (or similar) and set the DPI to 128 or lower, but not below 120, and reboot
    4. Read my Tips for Tablet Mode here

CM9:
    1. Flash a CM9 rom if you do not already have one installed
    2. Boot into recovery and flash the CM9 mod
    3. Boot into the ROM and use LCD Density Changer (or similar) and set the DPI to 128 or below, but not lower than 120 and reboot
    4. Read my Tips for Tablet Mode here

AOKP:
    1. Flash an AOKP rom if you aren't already running one and boot into it.
    2. Go to Settings > ROM Control > Navigation Bar and enable the nav bar.
    3. Reboot into recovery and flash the AOKP mod
    4. Boot into the ROM and go to Settings > ROM Control > General UI > LCD Density and follow the steps.
    5. In step 5, scroll to the bottom on the list and select custom and set the DPI to 128 or less, but not less than 120
    6. Reboot
    7. Read my Tips for Tablet Mode here

Tablet mode can be entered by changing the DPI of the device to 128 or less, but putting it below 120 causes bootloops. I am still testing my mod, but it appears to work on any ICS rom for the player 5. All you have to do is flash the zip file in recovery over the rom you want to apply it to. No wipes required and setting the DPI above 128 returns the player to Phone UI

Tested to work on:
    • RemICS-UX v1.3.1 (Maybe v1.3.0) - Use the RemICS-UX version of the mod
    • Latest CM9 rom by me - Use the CM9 version of the mod
    • ICS Crumble v1.6 - Use the AOKP version of the mod

Untested but should work on:
    • Any CM9 based rom
    • Any AOKP based rom

Downloads

Mod for RemICS-UX. Click on Tabletmode DL on the right
    Mod for CM9 roms
    Mod for AOKP roms

Screenshots can be seen below
    LOL, is it normal that this thread is in the front page? :p Nice job!!

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaah! I didn't even know until you pointed it out to me :D. Thanks for the tip! I'm planning to see how I can create a unified mod using Aroma installer so you can have one file which you can use to enable tablet mode on the different ICS roms. I'm also trying to fix the string misalignment on some roms. I can't give you an eta on any updates, but I'll try to be as quick as possible. The galaxy player 5 cannot afford to lose any more devs..

Also, first post on the XDA portal about the SGP :D
    the tablet patch doesn't work for remi ics v1.3.1 but it gives a nice theme style to apex launcher : )

It does work for RemICS-UX v1.3.1 but the touchwiz launcher doesn't work so I included apex launcher. Everything else works fine.

The MOD doesn't work perfectly with AOKP roms so I'm currently optimising the MOD for AOKP. Currently the MOD only works perfectly with RemICS-UX because I've modified some files in its system, but once I remake the MOD for stock CM9 and stock AOKP it should work on every rom

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app
    LOL, is it normal that this thread is in the front page? :p Nice job!!
    Yeah it probably won't boot. If you can upload your services.jar from /system/framework I can make a patch for you. Might have to wait until Sunday as I'm busy until then

Hey Supermaster, here's the Services.jar.

Thanks, and take your time, prioritize more important stuff if you need
    highfive.gif