[ALPHA 2 - DEC 22] Arch Linux ARM + Gnome 3

Search This thread

crimsonredmk

Sep 16, 2009
Arch Linux ARM for TouchPad ALPHA 2

Run pacman -Syu and reboot for a MUCH better, perfect touchscreen!

Now with Gnome 3!

The purpose of this build is to be lightweight and to bring together the community to package up a distribution for the TouchPad and share our findings with good documentation and easy code, and to demonstrate what is working and what is not.

The following is the official Arch Linux ARM forum thread: http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1948

All the documentation will be in text files and in the README here: https://github.com/crimsonredmk/ArchLinuxARM-TouchPad

Download
Read the README here: https://github.com/crimsonredmk/ArchLinuxARM-TouchPad and make sure you understand what works and what does not.

Download here (only when not following Installation.md)

Issues
No webcam. No sound. No Bluetooth.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 7,735
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 5,309
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 4,583
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 15,549
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 4,944
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 3,984
Last edited:

crimsonredmk

Sep 16, 2009
Changelog

Dec. 22 - Gnome 3 is out with the 2nd alpha build. Touch support is a little bit better and xinput_calibrator is included in the menus. Gnome Shell is not working yet, but if you've been avoiding Gnome 3 on a desktop because it's too tablet-centric...well...no more excuses. If you've installed alpha 1, you can either reformat with mkfs.ext3 /dev/store/arch-root and follow the rest of the guide, using this new alpha build instead. Also, the boot logo has been confirmed working.

Dec. 18 - Huge new release for developers and people who like being frustrated. I forgot to install fonts, so pacman -Ss ttf for a list. Also, you need to tell wicd to use "eth0" as the wireless interface in the preferences. Also of importance - we've renamed the LVM partition to be arch-root. The new kernel must be installed to use this new root. If you want to see our logo, don't set verbose on and download the .tga file from our Github and stick it in /boot.

Nov. 28 - Moboot 0.3.5 is out! This means the public can install and use Arch Linux ARM on the TouchPad, natively. Read the README!

Last edited:

Adonis K.

Aug 27, 2011
varemenos.com
Finally :)

cant wait for a fully functional native Archlinux port (mostly, i want a touchscreen keyboard while waiting for the one i ordered to come)

Puenos

Aug 20, 2010
finally :DDD

seems like we can now only see more and more great things to happen :D

would be impressed so see some progress on dynamic binary transmission or what it's called too.. :)

did u use lvm or what jcsullins was talking about?

Last edited:

BigJeff

Jun 4, 2011
Stanwood
Would this be a triple boot? anyway when I have Ubuntu chrooted in cm7 a2 and a3, it always fails apt-get and apt-get update, so no GUI for me :/ any help?

rohan32

Retired Forum Mod / Retired Recognized Developer
Nov 27, 2011
New Jersey
rmathur.com
Wow, this is great! I'll try it out on my Touchpad when I get home since its just sitting in a room doing nothing... haha
If I can turn it into an Arch PC using this, it would be great! Thanks for your hard work! :D

crimsonredmk

Sep 16, 2009
I didn't notice that Googling moboot 0.3.4v would bring up a total of 2 results. You guys should really wait for 0.3.5 to come out. Don't bother anyone to hurry up with it.

Segnale007

Feb 24, 2010
Mexico City
twitter.com
Hell thats awesome.. Please someone make a video of arch running on the TouchPad.. I don't have a touchpad to test it on right now and I am dying hard to see how it runs..

Big ups for the devs..

Adonis K.

Aug 27, 2011
varemenos.com
So does that mean no native Linux? Or just not yet? Sorry abt the noob question btw

Not yet, but should be soon.

Hell thats awesome.. Please someone make a video of arch running on the TouchPad.. I don't have a touchpad to test it on right now and I am dying hard to see how it runs..

Big ups for the devs..

You could install the archlinux chroot in webos to see how it feels in our Touchpads until the native version is ready :)

Daughain

Nov 23, 2010
DFW, Tx
Hell, I want it yesterday, but by the same token, this gives me more time to bank a bigger donation when it does drop. :) :)

Btw, devs, make sure there is a donate button available.

Sent from my very "non-stock" TP.

crimsonredmk

Sep 16, 2009
Well since moboot 0.3.5 is out, what are you guys waiting for? Read the README but use the new moboot. Get on Amazon and buy the cables first, then with any extra money, well, the donation link is right!

Edit: We don't need to recompile anything so you can do this right now.

Last edited:

jeanfrancis

Nov 7, 2011
Québec
Thanks again crimsonredmk for the hints about Moboot's verbose mode, helped getting Funtoo up-and-running as well ;).

I didn't hear about this USB keyboard trick before your post, I just ordered some cables, it will help as well...

I hope I'll have some time soon to get the X video driver and touchscreen working! :)

dodgejcr

Aug 17, 2010
Hot Springs
Not sure of the relevance at this point but if you do have a powered USB hub, You can skip the power Y cable thingy (cant remember name). You still need the host adapter as it has the pins set for sending power to the usb on the touchpad. If nothing else, it will save you a few bucks. Im cheap so its what Ive been using during all testing and running of the chroot and general usage. Hopefully bluetooth isnt too far away as I have a few small BT keyboards now they work really well for a general usage KB that is as portable as the touchpad.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Arch Linux ARM for TouchPad ALPHA 2

Run pacman -Syu and reboot for a MUCH better, perfect touchscreen!

Now with Gnome 3!

The purpose of this build is to be lightweight and to bring together the community to package up a distribution for the TouchPad and share our findings with good documentation and easy code, and to demonstrate what is working and what is not.

The following is the official Arch Linux ARM forum thread: http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=1948

All the documentation will be in text files and in the README here: https://github.com/crimsonredmk/ArchLinuxARM-TouchPad

Download
    Read the README here: https://github.com/crimsonredmk/ArchLinuxARM-TouchPad and make sure you understand what works and what does not.

Download here (only when not following Installation.md)

Issues
    No webcam. No sound. No Bluetooth.
    Changelog

Dec. 22 - Gnome 3 is out with the 2nd alpha build. Touch support is a little bit better and xinput_calibrator is included in the menus. Gnome Shell is not working yet, but if you've been avoiding Gnome 3 on a desktop because it's too tablet-centric...well...no more excuses. If you've installed alpha 1, you can either reformat with mkfs.ext3 /dev/store/arch-root and follow the rest of the guide, using this new alpha build instead. Also, the boot logo has been confirmed working.

Dec. 18 - Huge new release for developers and people who like being frustrated. I forgot to install fonts, so pacman -Ss ttf for a list. Also, you need to tell wicd to use "eth0" as the wireless interface in the preferences. Also of importance - we've renamed the LVM partition to be arch-root. The new kernel must be installed to use this new root. If you want to see our logo, don't set verbose on and download the .tga file from our Github and stick it in /boot.

Nov. 28 - Moboot 0.3.5 is out! This means the public can install and use Arch Linux ARM on the TouchPad, natively. Read the README!
    moboot 0.3.5

moboot 0.3.5 reaaaaally needs to drop cuz I need my Ubuntu! great job devs!

OK. Done.

Note that this release only adds the "verbose boot" option (see README
    for details). It does NOT add the boot from lvm or general config support.

Get it here: http://code.google.com/p/moboot/downloads/list
    Thanks again crimsonredmk for the hints about Moboot's verbose mode, helped getting Funtoo up-and-running as well ;).

I didn't hear about this USB keyboard trick before your post, I just ordered some cables, it will help as well...

I hope I'll have some time soon to get the X video driver and touchscreen working! :)
    Y cable

That must be the case. I ordered the Y-cable as well because you never know when your going to need it LOL.
    I ordered the Y-cable because I don't have one. And I need one of everything!