[Q] Advice on what to do with my Note 3

Search This thread

phillyd32

Jun 9, 2013
Louisville, KY
www.fb.com
Currently, my note 3 is laggy, buggy and obnoxious. The Samsung stock messaging app cannot handle lots of texts. I cannot let any other apps access my facebook contacts either, so getting another app isn't quite a remedy. I would like to put a new ROM my phone without tripping knox, but that isn't necessary. If I could somehow streamline a back up, that would really help.

I would like to get another ROM, but I'm not sure what ROM I want. Could someone educate me on this, advise me on backing things up and tell me how to flash the new ROM? I've tried researching but I'm completely lost.

Thanks in advance!

Face_Plant

Mar 24, 2014
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Are you on Jellybean or KitKat?

If you're on Jellybean:
1. Download Kingo and root (use Kingo version 1.1.8 if you're on NB4)
2. Download and install Safestrap v3.71 (not sure if you need to install Busybox for that version. I'd download and install it anyways just to be safe)
3. Visit the Android development section and try out a bunch of different ROMs until you find one that you like the most

If you're on KitKat:
1. Download Towelroot and root
2. Download and install Safestrap v3.72 along with Busybox (Busybox is required this time)
3. Visit the Android development section and try out a bunch of different ROMs and see what you like best

Note: if you are on NC2 KitKat you can only flash KitKat ROMs. I don't know what you like or what you're looking for in a ROM, so try them all until you find one that works best for you. Make sure to read the installation instructions for each ROM before your flash it!!!!

Last edited:

phillyd32

Jun 9, 2013
Louisville, KY
www.fb.com

If you're on Jellybean:
2. Download and install Safestrap v1.71 (not sure if you need to install Busybox for that version. I'd download and install it anyways just to be safe)
3. Visit the Android development section and try out a bunch of different ROMs until you find one that you like the most

If you're on KitKat:
2. Download and install Safestrap v1.72 along with Busybox (Busybox is required this time)
3. Visit the Android development section and try out a bunch of different ROMs and see what you like best

Note: if you are on NC2 KitKat you can only flash KitKat ROMs. I don't know what you like or what you're looking for in a ROM, so try them all until you find one that works best for you. Make sure to read the installation instructions for each ROM before your flash it!!!!
Thanks so much! This site is just on a whole other level when it comes to tech knowledge than what I'm used to. I'm doing my best to keep up.

Any reason I shouldn't just use Titanium backup?

dsmboost

Oct 5, 2011
USA
Thanks so much! This site is just on a whole other level when it comes to tech knowledge than what I'm used to. I'm doing my best to keep up.

Titanium backup will let you backup your apps (and possibly texts), but not your rom. Safestrap should let you create a backup of your entire rom.

Last edited:
Reactions: phillyd32

phillyd32

Jun 9, 2013
Louisville, KY
www.fb.com
Titanium backup will let you backup your apps (and possibly texts), but not your rom. Safestrap should let you create a backup of your entire rom.

Is there anything that will get apps, app data, texts/mms, contacts, etc? Basically every bit of what I've done to the phone?

I'd like to be able to add everything back easily. Or could I do that from the backup of the ROM somehow?

dsmboost

Oct 5, 2011
USA
Is there anything that will get apps, app data, texts/mms, contacts, etc? Basically every bit of what I've done to the phone?

I'd like to be able to add everything back easily. Or could I do that from the backup of the ROM somehow?

Titanium backup should allow you to backup all of that I believe. Titanium was buggy for me when trying to back up texts. There are several apps in the store you can use to backup texts/mms and contacts if titanium doesn't work for you. Also, syncing your contacts to gmail is the best way to back up and restore contacts.

You cannot restore bits and pieces of a backed up rom.

Reactions: phillyd32

phillyd32

Jun 9, 2013
Louisville, KY
www.fb.com
Titanium backup should allow you to backup all of that I believe. Titanium was buggy for me when trying to back up texts. There are several apps in the store you can use to backup texts/mms and contacts if titanium doesn't work for you. Also, syncing your contacts to gmail is the best way to back up and restore contacts.

I just realized only Titanium Backup Pro does Text/mms. Any ideas for a windows program or another app to use?

Face_Plant

Mar 24, 2014
Google Pixel 8 Pro
I just wanted to warn you about Titanium Backup: make sure you only freeze apps and never under any circumstances uninstall them. I've found out the hard way many times that uninstalling preinstalled apps can cause all sorts of problems and you will have to reflash the ROM to cure them. Also, if you aren't 100% sure what something is then don't freeze it.

lacz713

Nov 4, 2013
Try using hangouts as default messenger, I use it and to me its 1000 times better than the stock samsung one.

phillyd32

Jun 9, 2013
Louisville, KY
www.fb.com
Thanks guys! After rooting, I got set CPU, gravity box, a new messaging app which was able to use Facebook pics, and I've really improved my experience. I removed a lot of remaining bloat were too.

I may yet get a new ROM, but I'll probably wait for cyanogenmod to get. Less buggy. I want something with support.

phillyd32

Jun 9, 2013
Louisville, KY
www.fb.com
There is no and never will be any Cyanogenmod for the AT&T Note 3. If you want a solid ROM with AOSP styling and lots of support try out Dynamic Kat with the GPE theme. That's the closest you're going to get to CM with this phone.

zXQRWbR.png

This is the supported devices page. It's there.

If what you mean is that there will never be a Cyanogenmod ROM made for the note 3, then that makes sense.

dsmboost

Oct 5, 2011
USA
This is the supported devices page. It's there.

If what you mean is that there will never be a Cyanogenmod ROM made for the note 3, then that makes sense.

No, what he meant was that with a locked boot loader on the AT&T Note 3, AOSP-based roms will never work because they require a different kernel.

Also, to get a lot of cool custom ROM features without flashing a custom ROM, download and install the Xposed framework (google it). It's very easy to install and opens up a ton of customization options.

Last edited:

SpikeyPsyche

Mar 3, 2006
I wouldn't be so sure that the bootloader will remain locked forever. From what I understand a presenter at Black Hat is apparently going to show a method for unlocking the bootloader on any current Samsung phone.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you're on Jellybean:
    2. Download and install Safestrap v3.71 (not sure if you need to install Busybox for that version. I'd download and install it anyways just to be safe)

If you're on KitKat:
    2. Download and install Safestrap v3.72 along with Busybox (Busybox is required this time)

I just realized only Titanium Backup Pro does Text/mms. Any ideas for a windows program or another app to use?

Just search for sms backup or contacts backup in the store. Any of them should do the job.
    Sms backup & restore is good