pre applied factory screen protector ?

Search This thread

WelshPaul

Mar 29, 2011
Swansea
The trouble is by removing the shatter proof film should you drop your phone and break the screen the glass is going to fall to bit's. You will have an unusable phone, by having the shatter proof film on the handset the screen may be damaged/cracked but the film holds it in place and it's still possible to use the phone.

I have a couple of hair line scratches on my screen but i am not removing my shatter proof film, well just yet anyway lol

ncaissie

May 15, 2011
The trouble is by removing the shatter proof film should you drop your phone and break the screen the glass is going to fall to bit's. You will have an unusable phone, by having the shatter proof film on the handset the screen may be damaged/cracked but the film holds it in place and it's still possible to use the phone.

I have a couple of hair line scratches on my screen but i am not removing my shatter proof film, well just yet anyway lol

If my screen broke I wouldn't use it either way. I would get it repaired or replaced. I'm thinking of removing mine also.

WelshPaul

Mar 29, 2011
Swansea
I would get it repaired or replaced.

Well so would i but at least i would be able to use my phone while i wait for the replacement parts, the amount of people i have seen using phones that have a cracked screen is shocking. but in all fairness to the manufacturers those handsets still worked!

And at present there are no replacement screens or digitizers for sale regarding the play.

AriStar

Mar 29, 2011
Decided to remove mine this morning after reading this topic.

Well thanks a lot guys my phone screen is now ruined.

Only joking!
I should've removed that pos a month ago when I got my Play.

The screen looks so much more vibrant now.

A little sticky but only to the touch, can't see anything but a mint, scratchless screen.
I'm sure the stickyness will wear off in a couple of days once any risidual dicipates.

holy crap you scared me.

svenk919

Oct 12, 2008
Enschede
Victory, got it safely removed, easiest way to start peeling for me was at the side of the buttons (return or search). Just poked it a bit with a fine screwdriver until I could get a tweezer underneath.

AriStar

Mar 29, 2011
ill remove mine soon as i get my REAL scratch resistant screen protector in the mail.

axiomjunglist

Apr 12, 2011
You guys are making me want to try it, lol. I've never cracked any of my phone screens over the years, despite the occasional small drops. Even if it did crack I would probably just replace the whole phone anyway (or repair if I could).

One of my friends still has the original 1st gen iPhone and never had a screen protector on it the entire time, and barely any blemishes on the glass. If the Play's glass is anything like that it probably would be fine without a protector unless you drop it hard enough to crack it.

Sent from my R800a using XDA App

edit: Going around looking at people's phones in my office, lol. Half of them don't have protectors and the screens look fine. The other half have crappy protectors like mine with bubbles and/or scratches. Hmm...

edit2: Think I'm going to remove the sh*tty 2nd protector and leave the original factory one on for a bit. I surf a lot during the summer and I'm afraid of getting sand on my screen. Maybe I should just leave it in the car instead of my beach bag :p

Last edited:

alreadyused

Mar 1, 2007
West Midlands
I just kept picking at the botton corner where the back button is.

That was enough for me; after a few seconds picking at the same corner with my finger nail I managed to get it lifted. The shatter proofing sheet is quite stiff and rigid, much more so than any screen protector I've used before.

Once I'd lifted enough to get a finger and thumb to it I gently peeled across the bottom until I had the whole edge lifted and then changed my grip on the phone and sheet to peel it off evenly all the way down (up?) the screen.

Here is some pics of the shatter proofing sheet as I'd got the corner started.

XPScreen.JPG
XPScreen-1.JPG
XPScreen-2.JPG
XPScreen-3.JPG

Now that was done with I fitted my own screen protector. It was the third time I've fitted one (2x HTC Desire + this one) and I'm quite pleased with the job. There is a couple of bobbles at the top corner as I had to lift it and start again when I got the alignment wrong. Also the manufacturing wasn't great as the left edge has a slight curve in it and the cut-out at top centre wasn't laser cut cleanly.

Here's some pics with the new protector on.

XPZagg.JPG
XPZagg-1.JPG
XPZagg-2.JPG
XPZagg-3.JPG

Hope this helps/encourages some of you to do this. The shatter proof sheet does scratch easily and if all it does is hold the shards of glass together if it breaks then the new protector should do that anyway.

D.

p.s Sorry about the image sizes. I did try to get thumbs working but to no avail.

Reactions: axiomjunglist

axiomjunglist

Apr 12, 2011
Good pics! Can you share any of the phone with no shatter guard/protector on?

I just took my 3rd party protector off and have to say already I see a huge improvement in screen clarity and responsiveness just by going down to the factory shatter guard. Two layers on top of the glass is kind of silly. We'll see how long it takes before I get the nerve to go down to bare glass :p

Last edited:

T3mpr1x

Sep 16, 2007
Santa Clarita
x51v.info
Wow, reading all of this has gotten me interested in removing it as well. Gonna replace it with a Zagg Invisible Shield - those things are the best screen protectors I've ever used. It's mostly so that if I were to bump into anything while the phone is in my pocket and a scratch results it'd be done to the protector and not the regular glass - you can replace the screen protector, but not the glass, at least not for cheap...Besides, I bought this thing to play games with, so if the screen loses any sensitivity I doubt I'll notice, and it'll be minimal at worst.

AriStar

Mar 29, 2011
just got mine off and put on a different one. man that thing was thick. the pre applied screen protector i mean.

4LC4PON3

Apr 26, 2011
I took mine off as well. I was having dimming issues & once I took it off wow. No more dimming issues. The screen has a better feel & is more vibrant. The touch screen now is easily more responsive.

hytin

Sep 27, 2007
Gemla
I removed mine to on the arc feels nice to use it but a little worried for marks on it no insteed

// Hytin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I just kept picking at the botton corner where the back button is.

That was enough for me; after a few seconds picking at the same corner with my finger nail I managed to get it lifted. The shatter proofing sheet is quite stiff and rigid, much more so than any screen protector I've used before.

Once I'd lifted enough to get a finger and thumb to it I gently peeled across the bottom until I had the whole edge lifted and then changed my grip on the phone and sheet to peel it off evenly all the way down (up?) the screen.

Here is some pics of the shatter proofing sheet as I'd got the corner started.

XPScreen.JPG
    XPScreen-1.JPG
    XPScreen-2.JPG
    XPScreen-3.JPG

Now that was done with I fitted my own screen protector. It was the third time I've fitted one (2x HTC Desire + this one) and I'm quite pleased with the job. There is a couple of bobbles at the top corner as I had to lift it and start again when I got the alignment wrong. Also the manufacturing wasn't great as the left edge has a slight curve in it and the cut-out at top centre wasn't laser cut cleanly.

Here's some pics with the new protector on.

XPZagg.JPG
    XPZagg-1.JPG
    XPZagg-2.JPG
    XPZagg-3.JPG

Hope this helps/encourages some of you to do this. The shatter proof sheet does scratch easily and if all it does is hold the shards of glass together if it breaks then the new protector should do that anyway.

D.

p.s Sorry about the image sizes. I did try to get thumbs working but to no avail.
    Good pics! Can you share any of the phone with no shatter guard/protector on, or none taken?

Sorry dude. Didn't take any pics at that point.

Sent from my Xperia Play via Tapatalk
    I've still got mine on... and have got a huge scratch on my protector...

With my track record for scratching screens, the thing's staying on until I find somewhere to get replacements...

Ebay. You can get 5 for $3-$4 easy. I ordered some.