[APP][2.1+] Kii Keyboard 1.0 - An all new alternative android keyboard!

Search This thread

phoneturf

Feb 28, 2008
OnePlus 9
Kii issues on tablet

I recently got a Note 10.1 and Kii does not work well on it. First, the gesture trail does not show up, no matter the size chosen for it. Second, the backspace usually does not work right - when I press the backspace it appears to copy and paste the last two characters that were typed. If I keep trying to backspace, it just fills up the line with these characters, so it is pretty much unusable.

I orignally installed it from a backup from an older tablet. To try to fix it, I was going to uninstall then reinstall, but now I see it does not show up on Play, so perhaps it is not compatible with a 10" tablet. Does anyone know if Kii should work on a Note 10? It works fine on all the other Notes I have (1, 2, 3, 8). The 10 is the only one that has a touchwiz rom installed, if this is relevant.

Reactions: EVObastard

Danny from GA

Dec 22, 2014
Ultra Keyboard uses shortcuts like Kii, but it has no text prediction. Text prediction is the only thing it is missing, but its a very big thing.

Reactions: d8v8n8

EVObastard

Jan 26, 2013
Philladelphia
I recently got a Note 10.1 and Kii does not work well on it. First, the gesture trail does not show up, no matter the size chosen for it. Second, the backspace usually does not work right - when I press the backspace it appears to copy and paste the last two characters that were typed. If I keep trying to backspace, it just fills up the line with these characters, so it is pretty much unusable.

I orignally installed it from a backup from an older tablet. To try to fix it, I was going to uninstall then reinstall, but now I see it does not show up on Play, so perhaps it is not compatible with a 10" tablet. Does anyone know if Kii should work on a Note 10? It works fine on all the other Notes I have (1, 2, 3, 8). The 10 is the only one that has a touchwiz rom installed, if this is relevant.
The backspace issue happens on my note 4 sometimes, I also took it from an old backup that I had. I was able to dl to my note S from playstore before they took it down and that one works well.

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
I keep switching from Kii to Swiftkey. I'd been using kii for a couple years, but finding the other just as good. I still like the personal customization of kii and dictionary editing ability.
SK:
fbadebdb4ca54c9e62c0c92537995dbf.jpg

Kii:
248f902bd6968da1d5c2bd852c83236d.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

[] AL []

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Feb 22, 2011
SUPER SwiftKey looks even better... Just saying....
[emoji12]
5749f51364e99e8d414c8043af65f945.jpg

Read back on this thread or just search on xda for it.

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
Which one do you like better?

I believe I like Kii better. It shows suggestions no mater what web page I'm on, where Swiftkey has had many times where there was no suggestion line. But...

Kii is very memory intensive - it showed 150mb in ram yesterday, rebooted went down to 50, but in a few hours creeped back up to 120. Swiftkey seems to stay under 50mb.

Kii is no longer at Playstore, so apparently not supported. Has a few graphical issues, may be Lollipop or may be layout I selected. It can easily do translucent or opaque backgrounds.

I really like to create my own shortcuts for words or longer lines in Kii.

If you want to learn how to edit apk files, Swiftkey Plus has many options. I'm lazy and prefer the user options in Kii. Right now I have Kii on my N5 and Swiftkey on my N7.
31743917a832246b4dae29213690ee4c.jpg

Last edited:

phoneturf

Feb 28, 2008
OnePlus 9
I went out looking for another swiping keyboard after the difficulties I have had with Kii, and found ai.type. It took a while to get it set up to my liking (as did Kii), but I like it even better. Only downside is I had to pay $4 to get the premium, but it was worth it.

dandrumheller

Jul 10, 2010
Southern Maine / Seacoast NH
I went out looking for another swiping keyboard after the difficulties I have had with Kii, and found ai.type. It took a while to get it set up to my liking (as did Kii), but I like it even better. Only downside is I had to pay $4 to get the premium, but it was worth it.
Thanks for the A.I.type suggestion. Using it now. I'll think the customization interface is superior to Kii actually. I'm struggling some with it's swipe entry though. It seems to only be reasonably accurate when it slow my swiping to a mildly unnaturally slow pace. Gonna give it some time though

x3dnd3x

Mar 14, 2009
Singapore
Is it possible to get transparent keyboard? My wallpaper is live wallpaper but the keyboard's background ain't the same as my screen's wallpaper.

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
Is it possible to get transparent keyboard? My wallpaper is live wallpaper but the keyboard's background ain't the same as my screen's wallpaper.
Theme/background, select a transparent PNG (you need one in your gallery). Or I believe there are other themes you can find at playstore that are transparent, almost all themes work with Kii..

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

x3dnd3x

Mar 14, 2009
Singapore
Any help on how to make it fully transparent for the keyboard? Or its not possible? :confused:

I googled and insert a transparent png file but it doesn't work. Apparently it showed up as light grey instead.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Kii Keyboard is an all new alternative android keyboard!

●Main features:
    ★Smart and accurate predictions
    ★User defined text shortcuts
    ★Extra number row on top
    ★Extra arrow row on top
    ★Swiftkey like next word prediction
    ★Gesture keyboard control
    ★Swype like gesture input
    ★Thumb Keyboard like split keyboard layouts
    ★Support iOS6 emoji input
    ★8 build-in HD themes
    ★Support a variety of themes: Go Keyboard, Better Keyboard, Themeshop Keyboard themes
    ★Font and color customization
    ★Use any pictures as keyboard background
    ★True Multi-touch keyboard

●Support 34 languages:

kp64HJjY2OuZCjeAhDH_NUARM7INVdyibJvNZw3Ltt-qf7JWDpUCWS_5nEvUpyBuL8c=w124

Play store link to download:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zl.inputmethod.latin
    Yea I went to download on my new phone and couldn't find it either! Hope they can do an alternative link or something

private temporary: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6y9czqxVYzVYmJ0OWVKVlNmUjQ/view?usp=sharing
    I also have google running but only 31mb not 80 like you. Wonder what the google thing is?

Sent from GNII by TapII

Guys, memory usage in modern operating system are designed to be dynamic. The system is designed in such a way that it will give as much memory as needed to an app (up to some maximum) if it has the memory available, the allocated memory will remain even when they are not being actively used. When another app (or process) needs memory, the system automatically reallocate the unused memory from one app to this other app that needs them. This memory reallocation takes time so the system will not do it unless it's necessary.

This is why on some devices you see an app uses more memory and on some devices it uses less. For example, on mine phone, Kii Keyboard is currently using 20MB of memory. If you see an app uses a lot of memory, it may just mean the system has enough memory to go around and therefore does not need to reallocate unused memory from one app to another.

Monitoring an app's memory usage is the developers' problem, not something an user should be concerned about. From an user perspective, you should just be concerning about whether the app is performing well/smoothly, if it is, there's really no need to care about how much memory it uses.
    Kii keyboard is based off the android 4.2 keyboard, that's why you find many similarities between many of these ports. We are all trying to take the good ides from different keyboards and incorporate them, so yes many features are inspired by different keyboards on the market. I have definitely tried many of these alternative keyboards.

I've used the other JB keyboard and when I tried this one I presumed it was off the 4.2 base with improvements & additional options/features.

But, I haven't looked at the 2 we mentioned to compare menu by menu - are they that close?

--

EDIT: Trying to compare the three keyboards. They all even seem to have some different options of what they can & can't do (does the one by VLLWP have swipe like ability that I'm just missing?). Emoticon is on the enter key on two of them, and a letter on one. Long press on the period gives slightly different menus. Long press on the ?123 key is much better on the Kii keyboard.

So,to me, this doesn't look like a direct rip of one of the ones in the market - this looks like it started as a port of the 4.2 keyboard that he is trying to improve.

Of all 3, I'd stick with whoever keeps trying to improve on it, even if they all started as ports.
    I'm really missing ability to correct already made words. I mean swipe a whole SMS then you find a mistake, you click on bad words and choose another from the bar. Here I have to double click, delete and reswipe

Sent from my HTC Desire X using xda premium