Gorilla Glass screen so is a protector necessary?

Search This thread

Rusty!

Jan 10, 2010
Portsmouth
Gorilla Glass is tough, but it's not the indestructible thing a lot of people think it is. I still have the factory protector in place.

Reactions: harmohn

harmohn

Jan 18, 2010
London
Cheers Rusty!

Was asking as I'm generally pretty careful with my devices and was thinking it should be durable enough for my jean pocket. :)

crzycrkr

Jun 26, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Durable, yes, scratch proof, no. Even people that are gentle get scratches once in a while. If one grain of sand gets in your pocket with the phone you could end up with scratches. Do yourself a favor and get a good quality protector that you will never notice once its on. I use Steinheil protectors.

Sent from my Transformer TF101G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Eyekool and harmohn

harmohn

Jan 18, 2010
London
Durable, yes, scratch proof, no. Even people that are gentle get scratches once in a while. If one grain of sand gets in your pocket with the phone you could end up with scratches. Do yourself a favor and get a good quality protector that you will never notice once its on. I use Steinheil protectors.

Thanks for the advice crzycrkr - you make a fair point, I'll take a look at the Steinheil.

Cheers, H

XT69

Jan 23, 2011
my only problem is with protectors I can't make the same slick swipe movements, that I used to make on the glass surface... the film just sticks to my fingers, and sliding on it is just not so fluent...

crzycrkr

Jun 26, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6 Pro
my only problem is with protectors I can't make the same slick swipe movements, that I used to make on the glass surface... the film just sticks to my fingers, and sliding on it is just not so fluent...

You have not tried any good protectors then. Stick with dry application ones. The wet applications are more rubber like. The Steinheil is called the Ultra Optics I think. Have one on my Transformer and you can't even tell its there and can slide across it just like the glass. I used Boxwave in the past, but they scratched too easily. There are a lot of good protectors out there, just do some reading and stay away from Zagg Invisible Shields no matter what you do.

aMpeX

Mar 1, 2011
Kaiserslautern
I use a cloth pouch for my phone and haven't got any scratches since I got it (launch)

Like crzycrkr said, sand and minerals/stones in general are kryptonite for Gorilla Glass, whereas coins/keys/metal are no problem.

So, in my opinion, if you keep the phone in a pouch, you shouldn't face any serious problems.

harmohn

Jan 18, 2010
London
Okay fellas, you've convinced me of the use case. I'll invest in a decent protector.

Thanks for all your comments! :)

markop90

Feb 16, 2011
i have no display protectors, imho they are unnecessary...

i believe that because when my o2x fell on the asphalt 3 months ago, faced down, i found lots of scratches on the plastic corners, but no scratches on the display. i could post some photos of the phone.

so, if the phone standed the asphalt, i guess it stands my pockets too :D

crzycrkr

Jun 26, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6 Pro
i have no display protectors, imho they are unnecessary...

i believe that because when my o2x fell on the asphalt 3 months ago, faced down, i found lots of scratches on the plastic corners, but no scratches on the display. i could post some photos of the phone.

so, if the phone standed the asphalt, i guess it stands my pockets too :D

Asphalt is not particularly hard. The only people who don't use screen protectors are the ones who haven't scratched their devices yet. Then they curse amd wwonder why they didn't listen. With the quality of the protectors out there, there's not reason not to get one

mike-o2

Apr 3, 2011
I use it since April 2nd and do not use any screen protector or any other protector. I have my phone always with me and most of the time it is in my Jeans front pocket. I just came back from an outdoor trip to the polar circle and generally do lots of outdoor activities and my phones screen still is as new.
Sometimes I have sand in my pocket after I have played Beach Volleyball and still no scratches.

Sand will scratch Gorilla Glass, but it needs some force to do so. It wont scratch it if it only gently slides over it in a pocket.
Think about what you do with your phone before you do it and you won't need a protector. And don't worry, the O2X is really well crafted and not easy to damage.

Reactions: Erroneous91

crzycrkr

Jun 26, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I use it since April 2nd and do not use any screen protector or any other protector. I have my phone always with me and most of the time it is in my Jeans front pocket. I just came back from an outdoor trip to the polar circle and generally do lots of outdoor activities and my phones screen still is as new.
Sometimes I have sand in my pocket after I have played Beach Volleyball and still no scratches.

Sand will scratch Gorilla Glass, but it needs some force to do so. It wont scratch it if it only gently slides over it in a pocket.
Think about what you do with your phone before you do it and you won't need a protector. And don't worry, the O2X is really well crafted and not easy to damage.

Again, congratulations, but you are lucky and just one scratch away from kicking yourself for not putting one on.

MikuSE610

Aug 16, 2010
神奈川県
Screen protector is just a thin film that'll not affect the screen's responsiveness, unless ofc you have that Sony bulky one. It is also cheap less than a buck. Why take the risk of a naked screen outdoor?

mike-o2

Apr 3, 2011
Because for one the scratches or damage in general could also happen on the backside and I wont put my pretty phone into an ugly case. Also I like the touch of glass.
And finally when I will sell this phone sometime in one or two years, the price won't differ between a totally unscratched pone and one with a few scratches.

crzycrkr

Jun 26, 2010
Google Pixel 5
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Because for one the scratches or damage in general could also happen on the backside and I wont put my pretty phone into an ugly case. Also I like the touch of glass.
And finally when I will sell this phone sometime in one or two years, the price won't differ between a totally unscratched pone and one with a few scratches.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried a good quality, dry application protector, like a Steinheil ultra clear? 99 out of 100 people wouldn't even know its on, and all 100 wouldn't have a problem with the feel.

mike-o2

Apr 3, 2011
No I haven't.
I've used screen Protectors on my former phones and they did statisfy me.
With this phone I still am happy that I don't need one.

paqbro

Jun 24, 2009
Breda
First thing I did was taking off the protector when I bought my phone.
Still no scratch, always carrying in my pocket.
The thin protector will not protect the phone from getting scratched for objects which will damage gorilla glass.
Without protector it feels better also.

I don't leave the plastic around the seats in my car also.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You've got that completely backwards!

Sand/grit etc. is harder than the screen, that's why it can scratch it. Metal (keys etc) is softer (softer than non-Gorilla Glass even) so doesn't do anything. Makes for good YouTube videos though.
    Last time I listen to you guys.. few days without and I got a nice scratch.

Always use a protector and most importantly ignore the heros who talk up gorilla glass

Sent from my Optimus 2X using Tapatalk 2
    Gorilla works fine against metal, but sand scratches it easily. That's why I use screen protector.
    Gorilla Glass is tough, but it's not the indestructible thing a lot of people think it is. I still have the factory protector in place.