How to stop the update to fc09 message!!! Modified 5/14/2012

Search This thread

pablomentabo

May 5, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Glad this worked for me too. Kennyglass123 mentioned this in the Legendary ROM forum and I was worried at first since I was on MTD but it worked out fine. Thanks again Kenny for all your assistance in the Epic 4G forums :D

JRRinNC

Apr 18, 2011
Well, I just received the update notification again. This worked for me for 3 days (did it first on the 24th) but apparently it just delayed it. Guess I'll try again as well as try freezing the updates and delete the zip as Zanderman noted. I'm on CleanGB MTD 1.05 by the way. (With HUGE hopes that Toadlife will be able to do the EL30 version soon!)

Dronak

Feb 26, 2011
Thanks for this information. I got the update notice this morning, and it came back two or three times within an hour or so when I was using the phone a bit. I certainly didn't want it happening that often, so I gave this a try. Luckily, there were no problems with the process (I'm new to rooting, so I'm still a little worried about changing stuff) and I haven't seen the notification again today. So it looks like it worked fine. Thanks again!

Reactions: flastnoles11

intulsa

Jan 31, 2011
Well, I just received the update notification again. This worked for me for 3 days (did it first on the 24th) but apparently it just delayed it. Guess I'll try again as well as try freezing the updates and delete the zip as Zanderman noted. I'm on CleanGB MTD 1.05 by the way. (With HUGE hopes that Toadlife will be able to do the EL30 version soon!)

Same here. got the update notification again last night after 6 days. It slowed it down but didn't completely stop it.

intulsa

Jan 31, 2011
Neither. Nothing has changed since converting my Legendary to MTD a few weeks ago. Since it's restarted it happens every hour now. I let the install fail again and will see how long it lasts this time.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

KennyG123

Senior Moderator / Mod Committee / Spider-Mod
Staff member
Nov 1, 2010
Right behind you!
Neither. Nothing has changed since converting my Legendary to MTD a few weeks ago. Since it's restarted it happens every hour now. I let the install fail again and will see how long it lasts this time.

That's weird. I have 2 Epics and the only time I got a second notification was after restoring Legendary from CM7.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using XDA App

zman519

Oct 27, 2010
the Land of Beer & Cheese
Search i have answered this before.

find (you can get it from some roms) FOTAkill.apk push it to /system/app/ them set the permissions like the other apks in the folder

Attachments

• FOTAKill.apk
    22.5 KB · Views: 42

Dronak

Feb 26, 2011
Mine is back after 7 days

My update notification just came back, too, but it only took 4 days. I guess an EL30 ROM is going to be needed to stop this for good? I'm currently running the Mostly Stock ROM, if it matters. I think an update is planned, so I should be good once that comes out.

davidh59

Nov 20, 2011
Poland, IN
Yeah I was hoping to hold off a few more days til there were more choices in the EL30 roms. I'm currently on Clean gb MTD which has been mostly very good even though its an EI22 rom. I may just let it fail again and buy a few more days.

sethlo

Jul 13, 2007
can't kill it

Keeps coming back. Keep pulling battery. Really annoying. Seems to come at the worst times. PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAHH THE HORROR (okay, a little melodramatic)

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Anybody having problems and getting the update after a few days after doing this try this method of editing the build.prop... (fix by toadlife)
The update notification will probably stop of you modify the build.prop file to trick the phone into thinking it already has EL30.

Try this:

Open up a root shell and type the following (via adb, or a shell app)

su
remount rw
sed -i 's/SPH-D700-user 2.3.5 GINGERBREAD EI22 release-keys/SPH-D700-user 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD EL30 release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
sed -i 's/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.5\/GINGERBREAD\/EI22:user\/release-keys/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.6\/GINGERBREAD\/EL30:user\/release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
remount ro

I would recommend adb so you can copy and paste. Typing that might take awhile. 

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Edit- use the same method but replace all EL30 with FC09

First off so everybody knows, feezing system updates did not work... neither did just installing the el30 modem... but this did... Ok this is very easy! Let it try to install... obviously it will fail because you are rooted... now you should see an exclamation point... just pull the battery and reboot! No more nagging message from your phone to update! This will work regardless of if you are on the el30 modem or not.... I have done it with the ei22 modem, el30 modem, and the ec05 modem and haven't had the update prompt after doin this...
    Edit- after the battery pull and reboot don't panic if it throws you into cwm upon reboot, just reboot from there and you're good to go! LIKE ALWAYS MAKE A BACKUP!
    Edit- for everybody getting the update a few days after doin this try this (fix by toadlife)
    The update notification will probably stop if you modify the build.prop file to trick the phone into thinking it already has EL30.

Try this:

su
    remount rw
    sed -i 's/SPH-D700-user 2.3.5 GINGERBREAD EI22 release-keys/SPH-D700-user 2.3.6 GINGERBREAD EL30 release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
    sed -i 's/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.5\/GINGERBREAD\/EI22:user\/release-keys/sprint\/SPH-D700\/SPH-D700:2.3.6\/GINGERBREAD\/EL30:user\/release-keys/g' /system/build.prop
    remount ro

ROM Toolbox works

Super Easy to do it in ROM Toolbox. The built in build.prop editor makes it a breeze. Make sure you reboot after you make the changes
    Anybody having problems and getting the update after a few days after doing this try this method of editing the build.prop... (fix by toadlife)
    The update notification will probably stop of you modify the build.prop file to trick the phone into thinking it already has EL30.

Try this:

su
    remount rw
    remount ro

If you changed to EL30, then search and replace for EL30 with FC09.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium
    For anyone wondering: Stock rooted doesn't stop OTA's from working, what stops it is deodexing or removing/modifying apps from system/app.

When we had OneClickRoots, they removed the Asphalt 5 demo to fit root in. That's why "stock rooted" is thought to stop OTA's from working. But, if the only thing you did to root was Odin cwm and flash the su.zip the OTA will update.

Sent from something with a Kモ尺れモㄥ.