Galaxy S4 - XLTE

Search This thread

gt5oh

Apr 18, 2009
How do we know if our rom is taking advantage of XLTE / AWS spectrum?

Also, should we be running the network on Global or LTE/CDMA ?

Advice appreciated thanks

Jackie Treehorn

Apr 25, 2014
Panama City Beach, FL

I downloaded an app called 'Advanced Signal Status' from the Play store. It says I'm on LTE 14. From my reading today, I was expecting to see either 13 (reguar LTE), or 4 (AWS/XLTE).

I live in PCB, and the rollout included P'Cola and Tallahassee. I'm not sure if I'm under either of those umbrellas, so I wanted to check. Since I don't know what the 14 meains, I'm not sure what I've got. But you could give it a try.

Note that to access the part of this app that will provide this info, you have to be rooted.

Hope this helps.

gt5oh

Apr 18, 2009
I downloaded an app called 'Advanced Signal Status' from the Play store. It says I'm on LTE 14. From my reading today, I was expecting to see either 13 (reguar LTE), or 4 (AWS/XLTE).

I live in PCB, and the rollout included P'Cola and Tallahassee. I'm not sure if I'm under either of those umbrellas, so I wanted to check. Since I don't know what the 14 meains, I'm not sure what I've got. But you could give it a try.

Note that to access the part of this app that will provide this info, you have to be rooted.

Hope this helps.

interesting thanks

drt054

Jan 8, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I am on CM11 5/18 nightly and just flashed the latest modem I545VRUNC5. I am in one of the markets for XLTE and wasn't sure if I had to do anything to my phone in order to get the XLTE. But found that once I flashed the latest modem and later in the day, found that speeds were faster without changing any settings. Prior to flashing NC5, I was on MJ7 but wasn't getting the speed. Guess it could have just been the time of day and the rollout was still on it's way, but no matter now.. very happy with it!!!! :D

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-20-02-29-33.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-20-02-29-33.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:

jscarano

Jun 1, 2010
Orlando Fl
I am on CM11 5/18 nightly and just flashed the latest modem I545VRUNC5. I am in one of the markets for XLTE and wasn't sure if I had to do anything to my phone in order to get the XLTE. But found that once I flashed the latest modem and later in the day, found that speeds were faster without changing any settings. Prior to flashing NC5, I was on MJ7 but wasn't getting the speed. Guess it could have just been the time of day and the rollout was still on it's way, but no matter now.. very happy with it!!!! :D

Damn thats nice. Im still on MDK . Where can I get just the I545VRUNC5 modem? thanks

edit I think I found it

Last edited:

rboddy

Jul 22, 2010
I'm currently rooted on MK2, stock ROM and everything, and have no desire to go any further than just upgrading the modem, can I install only the necessary modem over MK2 or do I need to do a complete upgrade of the ROM and/or firmware?

EDIT: I just read the last page in that modems thread and people are saying MK2 should be able to take advantage of AWS, however I'm still getting the same speeds I've always been getting. What gives? I'm in Rochester NY and others in my area have confirmed they are now seeing AWS service levels.

Last edited:

gt5oh

Apr 18, 2009
I am running Eclipse 4.2.2 Rom

Baseband I545VRUEMK2

Build # JDQ39I545VRUAMDK

Which of these desginates what modem I am on?

chadbh74

Oct 31, 2010
XLTE vs LTE on the Galaxy S4

I have just performed 2 out of 3 video tests I plan to do with my Galaxy S4 to address this very issue. All are on the same device. Video #1 is LTE test and, just a few minutes after, Video #2 is testing XLTE.

I have yet to find a "Application" that shows properly Band 4 or Band 13 so we can tell, but the Service Menu DOES TELL! You just have to unlock it. Also, I had previously thought that XLTE was using both bands to double it's bandwidth. This of course is NOT the case. The device switches over entirely from one band to the other. The Service Menu shows that Band 4 mode is utilizing 20Mhz as apposed the original 10Mhz on LTE Band 13. Double the Mhz bandwidth, that explains it!

Video of Test #1 (LTE) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=va3EDL_TdhQ

Video of Test #2 (XLTE): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oFPKdct1U4

Top Liked Posts