How To Turn S-Off, Install MoDaCo Clockworkmod Recovery, and Install a Rom For Dummie

Search This thread
OK, I've read a lot of comments about people having trouble installing MoDaCo clockworkmod, or even turning their devices S-off. But my guide is going to go step though step of how to turn your device into a lean, mean killing machine. It took me days to accomplish this when i first got my device, hopefully this will take you under 30 minutes! :) I'm a junior member, i know, so cut me some slack, PLEASE.

WARNING AND DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK, EVEN IF IT FALLS APART IN YOUR HAND, OR BECOMES GODLY FAST!

1. The first thing we need to do is turn S-OFF for your mytouch 4g slide. It is probably the easiest thing to do, other then installing a rom on your device. :p

a. You will need to download the usb drivers for your phone, DON'T SKIP THIS STEP, or you'll wonder why your phone isn't discovered by the software. You can find those drivers at this website right here:
http://www.htc.com/managed-assets/support/software/htc-sync/setup_3.0.5579.exe
After you have that software installed, plug in your phone, and give it a couple minutes to install all the correct drivers for your device, then make sure you go to the bottom right of the computer and exit out of that software, it can't be running when your trying to S-OFF your device. Now I dont think you have to have the fastboot drivers installed either, but why not, lets go ahead and download those files and get those installed too.
http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
After you have those installed, its now time to move on.

b. Now thanks to unrevoked and AlphaRev and their team, you will go to their site at http://revolutionary.io/ and you will scroll down and click on Download for Windows (If you can take everything I'm saying and do the linux version, right on!) at that moment a download box will appear, but do not download those files, download the files from this website http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BP2E3ZQ3 .But you will need to enter some information in the box below after you click on windows download, just remember, you don't need those files. Your operating system, device, HBOOT version, and serial number. Your HBOOT version can be found by taking your device, going to apps, settings, power, and uncheck fast boot, then power it off, i always power it off and then pull the battery out, makes me feel safer...and soon as its off, holding the volume down button, camera button, and power button all at the same time. You'll then see a screen with the android bots on the bottom are rolling on skateboards. At the top should be your HBOOT version, and there is only one option on the site, so hopefully your in luck! For your serial number,take the battery out from this screen, don't push any buttons, and on the sticker under the battery, your serial number will be there starting with HT--- or power your device back on, then go to apps, settings, about phone, phone identity, and wala, your device serial number. After you enter all that information into the site, it will generate you a beta key, YOU NEED THAT IN ORDER TO S-OFF AND ROOT YOUR DEVICE!! So write it down somewhere, copy and paste in word, do what you do :D

c. Now we have everything downloaded, we have our beta key, its time to get to work!

d. The file you downloaded from megaupload, "MT4GS-ADB-WINDOWS" you need to extract that file into a folder on your desktop. Make sure you open the folder mt4gs-adb, and extract the files out of the folder, so you should have 12 items in your folder on the desktop, not just a folder in a folder! I created a folder called "root mt4gs". You want all the files in one location. After there all extracted, open your folder on the desktop. On your phone, go to apps, settings, applications, development, and click on usb debugging and make sure the check mark is blue on the right. Now plug your phone into the computer.

Now in your "root mt4gs" folder, double click on revolutionary. At that moment it should ask you for that beta key i told you to save. Go ahead and enter that now (its case sensitive). Let the software run for a couple minutes....

Now after it says S-Off, your halfway there!! Your HBOOT will now say 1.44.1107. That way you know its done! It will ask you to install clockwork recovery mod, say NOOOO, it has hella problems. It gave me problems when i said yes the first time, i'll show you another way.

e. At this moment, we're going to install clockwork recovery v4.0.0.9, thanks to Paul O'Brien/MoDaCo, the gods lol. First, turn your device off/pull the battery out, thats what i do. Then hold volume down button, camera button, and power button at the same time. It should show you the skateboarding androids, and at the top it should say -Revolutionary- in purple. If it doesn't, don't continue, retry all steps or message me. Then plug your phone into the computer, and using the power button as the selection button, push the power button as your highlighted over FASTBOOT. It should say FASTBOOT USB at the top in red now.

Now believe it or not you already have the file you need in your "root mt4gs" folder. Your now going highlight all the files in your "root mt4gs" folder to the root of your hard drive. Click on My computer, double click on your c: drive, and paste those files right on there, do not copy the folder, or put these files in a folder!! Now your going open a command prompt. {Hold the windows key and tap r}. Then type "cmd" without the parenthesis and it should open up a black box.

Now type cd\
Your command prompt should now just say c:\> thats what you want it to say

Now your going to type adb.exe

You should see a whole bunch of words flash on the command prompt, the last couple words should say "bug tags are printed." That means your right on track.

From here, you are going to type in fastboot devices

it should have the serial number of your device and the word fastboot right next to it!

Now, here comes the tricky part that i got stuck at, but i know you can do it! Now this will work if you put the files exactly where i told you to put them. you now will type fastboot flash recovery c:\clockworkmod.4.0.0.9.img

it should say " sending 'recovery'
okay
writing recovery'
okay
finished. total time: (mine is 10.400s)

Now to make sure it's intalled, on your phone, click power button and you should now see fastboot, recovery, factory reset, simlock, and imagecrc as options, use your volume button to go down to recovery, and click power button.

You should now see clockworkmod recovery 4.0.0.9.

f. Now lets put superuser on your device so you can be free!
click on this file and download it, DO NOT EXTRACT IT
http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip
Now after you have downoaded that file, on your phone, use your trackpad, and scroll down to "mounts and storage"
then scroll down to mount usb storage. now you should be able to put files on your sd card, make sure you put it on the root of your sd card, not in a folder, it doesn't matter, but i prefer it!.

Now unmount on your phone by clicking the option, click go back, and then scroll down to "install zip from sdcard" and click on it, then click "choose zip from sdcard". Find that file we just put on there "su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip", and click on it, then click yes. Now click on go back, and click reboot system now!

Now if you want to stay stock, your done, your rooted, so now just install root checker, and busybox, and your good to go, if you want to do some roms, keep on reading.

Now you cross your fingers, and grab a soda, because we're 75% done!

g. Now is the easy part, all you do now is download the roms from other developers, copy them to your sdcard, then turn off the phone, hold volume down, camera and power button, go into recovery with using vol up and down buttons as the selector, and the power button to confirm your option. As you enter clockwork mod, you can then go follow the directions of the developer as to wipe certain sections, and how to install there roms/patches. YOUR DONE

If you have any questions, please let me know, also I didn't make ANY of this software, this guide just has every link to get you everything you need at one spot. I also have the original file to make your phone completely stock, so if you need that, let me know and I'll upload that and send the link out.

If you want to donate to me, donate to all the other og's first! :p

Thanks to
jdmarko
unrevoked
alpharev
paulobrien
MoDaCo
and if I forgot you, let me know. thanks!

Last edited:

amalio357

Nov 26, 2006
Hemphill
Now this is how you give a tutorial!!! If i had some extra cash i would totally donate bro! I was trying to install 4.0.0.9 for two days from the dude that made its site and his directions were not thorough enough. Thanks dude.

Reactions: rlcassidy

phil0sophic

Sep 13, 2009
Heber Springs
Superuser wont install for me, Error in /sdcard/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip
Status 0
I wiped cashe/ dalvic downloaded several times No good.

correct hboot, s=off

just wont flash SU ???

Status 0

correct hboot, s=off

just wont flash SU ???

Ok let's figure this out.. on step f, you did unmount your sd card, right? I haven't dealt with this problem before so if I ask a stupid question, I'm just trying to solve this. Also you don't need to wipe anything to install superuser, so that could be the problem also, so reboot ur fone, and let's try step f again! Keep me updated please!

unclespoon

Feb 8, 2011
Seattle, WA
Status 0

correct hboot, s=off

just wont flash SU ???

It took a lot of us several attempts to flash the superuser zip. The 4.0.0.8 recovery isn't the greatest. Keep trying until it installs and you get root. Then upgrade to the modaco 4.0.0.9 recovery right away. It's not perfect either but it fixes a LOT of the issues known with 4.0.0.8.

And a comment to the OP, this is an incredibly helpful walkthrough! If only people would actually search and find this before posting new threads like "how do i root" and all that crap.

Thank you.

Reactions: Invalid Username

Techlvr

Aug 31, 2011
Gilbert, AZ.
Great job on this and thanks for your work. I wish I would have had this tutorial when I did mine.

Sent via my talk enabled Galaxy Tab using XDA premium.

Great job on this and thanks for your work. I wish I would have had this tutorial when I did mine.

Sent via my talk enabled Galaxy Tab using XDA premium.

Thanks, I had a lot of trouble doing mine the first time, and I went back to stock, typed this and gave my wife my phone and she went step by step and completed it. So it can't be that hard!

Last edited:

phil0sophic

Sep 13, 2009
Heber Springs
An app to reboot from? Not understanding the question throughly... In this cwm, it has the option to reboot system as every other cwm that I've used has. But an app... I do not have an app though...hope I answered your question!

OK ill reexplain is there an icon in the apps drawer for CWM to select to reboot etc. because it didnt install one on the MT4Gslide as on my MT4G.

I know something is goofy as SU wouldnt flash, I had to install the new version from the market.

OK ill reexplain is there an icon in the apps drawer for CWM to select to reboot etc. because it didnt install one on the MT4Gslide as on my MT4G.

I know something is goofy as SU wouldnt flash, I had to install the new version from the market.

Oh, now i understand. No there isn't. I don't have one at all, as soon as I installed clockworkrecovery, and superuser, I flashed undeads rom on there. And I've been reading that superuser is being buggy when installing it on this phone through cwm...I'll look into that tonight, see if i can find the root cause.

phil0sophic

Sep 13, 2009
Heber Springs
Thanks...This is my wifes phone, she just upgraded from a CLIQ (one of the two people that loved blur)she likes my MT4G and wanted a KBD so here we are....

I want to change the lock ring so need root for the wonderful majic you dev's do....

Thanks...This is my wifes phone, she just upgraded from a CLIQ (one of the two people that loved blur)she likes my MT4G and wanted a KBD so here we are....

I want to change the lock ring so need root for the wonderful majic you dev's do....

Well your at the right forum to get you started. And thanks! This is my first post so I'm trying!

Sent from my MyTouch 4G Slide using xda premium

Reactions: phil0sophic

unclespoon

Feb 8, 2011
Seattle, WA

You probably just have to download ROM Manager from the market, I think that's what you're referring to. There isn't a whole lot of support for our device in ROM manager right now, however, and I haven't checked to see if the "reboot into recovery" works. Go into settings > power > and uncheck fastboot. Then, shut down your phone, wait 10 seconds, hold down the volume down button and turn your phone back on. That'll get you into recovery. Did you get superuser to install? Are you rooted?

bballcat03

Jan 25, 2011
Mine won't switch from "revolutionary" in purple at the top to "fastboot" at the top.

It says fastboot USB about 6 lines down, but that's it.

When I type "fastboot devices" it errors and says:
'fastboot' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

anyone know what's up?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, I've read a lot of comments about people having trouble installing MoDaCo clockworkmod, or even turning their devices S-off. But my guide is going to go step though step of how to turn your device into a lean, mean killing machine. It took me days to accomplish this when i first got my device, hopefully this will take you under 30 minutes! :) I'm a junior member, i know, so cut me some slack, PLEASE.

WARNING AND DISCLAIMER: I AM NOT RESPONIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT HAPPENS TO YOUR PHONE. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK, EVEN IF IT FALLS APART IN YOUR HAND, OR BECOMES GODLY FAST!

1. The first thing we need to do is turn S-OFF for your mytouch 4g slide. It is probably the easiest thing to do, other then installing a rom on your device. :p

a. You will need to download the usb drivers for your phone, DON'T SKIP THIS STEP, or you'll wonder why your phone isn't discovered by the software. You can find those drivers at this website right here:
    http://www.htc.com/managed-assets/support/software/htc-sync/setup_3.0.5579.exe
    After you have that software installed, plug in your phone, and give it a couple minutes to install all the correct drivers for your device, then make sure you go to the bottom right of the computer and exit out of that software, it can't be running when your trying to S-OFF your device. Now I dont think you have to have the fastboot drivers installed either, but why not, lets go ahead and download those files and get those installed too.
    http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe
    After you have those installed, its now time to move on.

b. Now thanks to unrevoked and AlphaRev and their team, you will go to their site at http://revolutionary.io/ and you will scroll down and click on Download for Windows (If you can take everything I'm saying and do the linux version, right on!) at that moment a download box will appear, but do not download those files, download the files from this website http://www.megaupload.com/?d=BP2E3ZQ3 .But you will need to enter some information in the box below after you click on windows download, just remember, you don't need those files. Your operating system, device, HBOOT version, and serial number. Your HBOOT version can be found by taking your device, going to apps, settings, power, and uncheck fast boot, then power it off, i always power it off and then pull the battery out, makes me feel safer...and soon as its off, holding the volume down button, camera button, and power button all at the same time. You'll then see a screen with the android bots on the bottom are rolling on skateboards. At the top should be your HBOOT version, and there is only one option on the site, so hopefully your in luck! For your serial number,take the battery out from this screen, don't push any buttons, and on the sticker under the battery, your serial number will be there starting with HT--- or power your device back on, then go to apps, settings, about phone, phone identity, and wala, your device serial number. After you enter all that information into the site, it will generate you a beta key, YOU NEED THAT IN ORDER TO S-OFF AND ROOT YOUR DEVICE!! So write it down somewhere, copy and paste in word, do what you do :D

c. Now we have everything downloaded, we have our beta key, its time to get to work!

d. The file you downloaded from megaupload, "MT4GS-ADB-WINDOWS" you need to extract that file into a folder on your desktop. Make sure you open the folder mt4gs-adb, and extract the files out of the folder, so you should have 12 items in your folder on the desktop, not just a folder in a folder! I created a folder called "root mt4gs". You want all the files in one location. After there all extracted, open your folder on the desktop. On your phone, go to apps, settings, applications, development, and click on usb debugging and make sure the check mark is blue on the right. Now plug your phone into the computer.

Now in your "root mt4gs" folder, double click on revolutionary. At that moment it should ask you for that beta key i told you to save. Go ahead and enter that now (its case sensitive). Let the software run for a couple minutes....

Now after it says S-Off, your halfway there!! Your HBOOT will now say 1.44.1107. That way you know its done! It will ask you to install clockwork recovery mod, say NOOOO, it has hella problems. It gave me problems when i said yes the first time, i'll show you another way.

e. At this moment, we're going to install clockwork recovery v4.0.0.9, thanks to Paul O'Brien/MoDaCo, the gods lol. First, turn your device off/pull the battery out, thats what i do. Then hold volume down button, camera button, and power button at the same time. It should show you the skateboarding androids, and at the top it should say -Revolutionary- in purple. If it doesn't, don't continue, retry all steps or message me. Then plug your phone into the computer, and using the power button as the selection button, push the power button as your highlighted over FASTBOOT. It should say FASTBOOT USB at the top in red now.

Now believe it or not you already have the file you need in your "root mt4gs" folder. Your now going highlight all the files in your "root mt4gs" folder to the root of your hard drive. Click on My computer, double click on your c: drive, and paste those files right on there, do not copy the folder, or put these files in a folder!! Now your going open a command prompt. {Hold the windows key and tap r}. Then type "cmd" without the parenthesis and it should open up a black box.

Now type cd\
    Your command prompt should now just say c:\> thats what you want it to say

Now your going to type adb.exe

You should see a whole bunch of words flash on the command prompt, the last couple words should say "bug tags are printed." That means your right on track.

From here, you are going to type in fastboot devices

it should have the serial number of your device and the word fastboot right next to it!

Now, here comes the tricky part that i got stuck at, but i know you can do it! Now this will work if you put the files exactly where i told you to put them. you now will type fastboot flash recovery c:\clockworkmod.4.0.0.9.img

it should say " sending 'recovery'
    okay
    writing recovery'
    okay
    finished. total time: (mine is 10.400s)

Now to make sure it's intalled, on your phone, click power button and you should now see fastboot, recovery, factory reset, simlock, and imagecrc as options, use your volume button to go down to recovery, and click power button.

You should now see clockworkmod recovery 4.0.0.9.

f. Now lets put superuser on your device so you can be free!
    click on this file and download it, DO NOT EXTRACT IT
    http://downloads.androidsu.com/superuser/su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip
    Now after you have downoaded that file, on your phone, use your trackpad, and scroll down to "mounts and storage"
    then scroll down to mount usb storage. now you should be able to put files on your sd card, make sure you put it on the root of your sd card, not in a folder, it doesn't matter, but i prefer it!.

Now unmount on your phone by clicking the option, click go back, and then scroll down to "install zip from sdcard" and click on it, then click "choose zip from sdcard". Find that file we just put on there "su-2.3.6.3-efgh-signed.zip", and click on it, then click yes. Now click on go back, and click reboot system now!

Now if you want to stay stock, your done, your rooted, so now just install root checker, and busybox, and your good to go, if you want to do some roms, keep on reading.

Now you cross your fingers, and grab a soda, because we're 75% done!

g. Now is the easy part, all you do now is download the roms from other developers, copy them to your sdcard, then turn off the phone, hold volume down, camera and power button, go into recovery with using vol up and down buttons as the selector, and the power button to confirm your option. As you enter clockwork mod, you can then go follow the directions of the developer as to wipe certain sections, and how to install there roms/patches. YOUR DONE

If you have any questions, please let me know, also I didn't make ANY of this software, this guide just has every link to get you everything you need at one spot. I also have the original file to make your phone completely stock, so if you need that, let me know and I'll upload that and send the link out.

If you want to donate to me, donate to all the other og's first! :p

Thanks to
    jdmarko
    unrevoked
    alpharev
    paulobrien
    MoDaCo
    and if I forgot you, let me know. thanks!
    OK, I'm not a total noob but I am a bit confused when it comes to my new MT4GS (I rooted my old MT3GS and installed differing ROMs on it). If I follow these directions to S-Off and root my new MT4GS, install CWM/SuperUser/Busybox... will that process "reset" my phone, i.e. erase all my settings/contacts, apps, etc.? Or will all that be preserved? I'm not looking to install a different ROM, I just want to have S-Off and root access.

Thanks for the work and the info.

As long as u dont use a custom rom it wont reset anything

Sent from my Senseless Doubleshot using xda premium
    ANYONE????

I'm stuck at adb because I need the file set that OP put on megaupload

Go to the revolutionary site, get your code with your serial number, and download the tool there.

Use it.

Install clockworkmod - since megaupload is down you can't get the temp-root files, so you will need to do this.

When you reboot the phone, you will have S-OFF and clockworkmod recovery, but no root.

Now, download superuser here.

Copy the superuser package to the main directory of your sdcard, then reboot the phone into recovery.

( turn fastboot off in options on the phone, then power off. Once off, hold the volume down key and press power. Continue holding volume down until you get to the HBoot menu

Then use the volume buttons to select 'recovery' and press power to choose it )

Once in recovery, use the trackpad instead of the volume keys to move, and press it to select.

Choose 'install zip from sdcard' and find the superuser package on your sdcard, flash it.

Once done, go back to the main menu and select 'reboot phone now' and let it reboot.

Once everything loads up again, go to the Google market and download Rom Manager. Since you now have superuser access, it will be able to update your clockworkmod to the most recent version. Do this.

That's it. You now have S-OFF, most current clockworkmod recovery, and a rooted stock phone.

Next thing you should do is make a clockworkmod backup of the device.

Since the download to the OP files isn't working, I posted this solution here, not trying to take away from the OP's work, but it wasn't available.
    Now this is how you give a tutorial!!! If i had some extra cash i would totally donate bro! I was trying to install 4.0.0.9 for two days from the dude that made its site and his directions were not thorough enough. Thanks dude.
    Status 0

correct hboot, s=off

just wont flash SU ???

It took a lot of us several attempts to flash the superuser zip. The 4.0.0.8 recovery isn't the greatest. Keep trying until it installs and you get root. Then upgrade to the modaco 4.0.0.9 recovery right away. It's not perfect either but it fixes a LOT of the issues known with 4.0.0.8.

And a comment to the OP, this is an incredibly helpful walkthrough! If only people would actually search and find this before posting new threads like "how do i root" and all that crap.

Thank you.