[NAND] CyanogenMod 7.2 from source

Search This thread

Taranis

Aug 31, 2011
Poland
For me battery usage is quite good - I had 2 h LCD on and listened music, without SIM card. I think it's good. CRII, you gave X1 new life.

BTW, I don't want to sell such a good phone (for me only disadvantage is WM, nowadays). :)

Saulis

Jun 17, 2009
Some notes on charging issues. I'm usually charging phone in sleep mode. But in this situation internal time offset is somehow affected. I've tried for several time to charge with no sleep, meaning screen always is on while charging, thus extending charging time. But didnt noticed any problems besides long charge time. So I'm curious that the problem with clock arises then phone is in suspend and charging.

skas_2002

Dec 20, 2005
We need some touch screen calibration tool. It is really annoying(especially on my chinese touch). Otherwise thanks for you work, everything seems to work pretty well.

CoolrunnerII

Jan 27, 2012
Trondheim
We need some touch screen calibration tool. It is really annoying(especially on my chinese touch). Otherwise thanks for you work, everything seems to work pretty well.

I have never noticed any offset in the touchscreen. What kind of problem are you experiencing?

The calibration is hard-coded in the file drivers/input/touchscreen/msm_ts.c in the kernel.

If you follow the kernel steps in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1487169 you can make changes to this file and use fastboot to flash a new boot.img.

I know recompiling the kernel to calibrate the touch-screen is a bit of a pain, but I don't know of any other ways to do it.

BTW: Would you like med to include a Chinese translation also? Do you know the locale?

Last edited:

skas_2002

Dec 20, 2005
I have never noticed any offset in the touchscreen. What kind of problem are you experiencing?

The calibration is hard-coded in the file drivers/input/touchscreen/msm_ts.c in the kernel.

If you follow the kernel steps in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1487169 you can make changes to this file and use fastboot to flash a new boot.img.

I know recompiling the kernel to calibrate the touch-screen is a bit of a pain, but I don't know of any other ways to do it.

BTW: Would you like med to include a Chinese translation also? Do you know the locale?

No no, I am from Ukraine, ukrainian is already included. The main problem is ocasional launch of apps when I scroll through the menus. I changed digitizer touch today, the problem remains. It may be a lag of some kind, it is even laggy as I type this. I will try to go back to my old 2.3.5 nandroid, performance wise 2.3.5 roms are much better for some reason.
Upd
It is lag... Turned on governor performance, the problem is gone.

Last edited:

Smoover

Feb 22, 2009
Should I stay or should I go?

Hi there,

I am currently running jerrytan93's "IceDroid v8 with Beats" on the X1. Jerry stopped the ROM development in September 2012.
The ROM runs quite good but has its quirks.

My issues with IceDroid 8 and a response by taninos are listed in this post: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32089098&postcount=402

The whole thread for IceDroid can be found here in case someone's interested.

I have to admit that I'm not that savvy with the inner workings of Android. Getting the ROM up and working took some time and involved several explicit expressions.

Currently, there seem to be three contenders for an update:
- Cyanogenmod 7.2 by CoolrunnerII
- Code Butter by BrianXP7
- ZeamDroid v7.2.1 by kuskro

After reading through the threads, I am thinking about giving CoolrunnerII's "original" ROM a chance in the hope to have a "faster" ROM and GPS.
I am using the X1 as a secondary and "party" phone, so no pressure here.

Any opinions/warnings/hints from you guys before the change?

Much obliged,
Smoover

Last edited:

Smoover

Feb 22, 2009
After asking for advice in the thread of CoolRunnerII's "CyanogenMod 7.2 from source" ROM and receiving an answer from BrianXP7, I decided (against his advice, actually ^^ ) to give "Code Butter" a fighting chance.

The built "CodeButter-GB-20130305-KOVSKY" has now been running on the X1 for two days and these are my experiences so far. Some of the issues are already mentioned in the first post of the "Code Butter" thread but I will put them here nonetheless.

Before flashing "Code Butter" via CWM, I did a factory reset and a cache and dalvik cache wipe.
Installed "Holo Launcher", removed "LauncherPro".

Positives
  1. Overclocking ability built into the system settings (set it to the maximum of 614 MHz)
  2. Overall subjective impression of "faster" performance when compared to IceDroid v8 (might at least partially be caused by the overclocking)
  3. GPS working but not yet extensively tested. Might have caused one system crash already
  4. Improved WLAN connectivity and stability compared to IceDroid v8
  5. Youtube videos play in "non-HD"
  6. Decent battery life. Did a reset by "BatteryCalibration" app and get about 30 h of use in a mixed setting (airplane mode on/off, WLAN on/off, etc.)

Negatives
  1. Screen turns green for one or two seconds when changing screen orientation
  2. Device did not wake up from standby three times in the last two days, had to be reset by removing the battery
  3. WLAN connectivity is overall still unstable. The connection to a WPA2 enrypted AP drops for unknown reasons in irregular intervals
  4. Cache partition too small? The "Cache Fixer" app shows 14 MB of cache which is too small for a facebook app update (14,4 MB) which results in an "error 498" in the Play Store. I don't know if this is caused by the ROM but this problem did not occur under IceDroid AFAIR.
  5. Video capturing does not work. The camera app starts to record but then does not accept any more input and crashes after about a minute. The resulting file is corrupt and cannot be opened in a video player.
  6. No hardware acceleration for video playback (thus effectively no video playback except maybe for very low resolution videos)
  7. Reason for installation of GooManager? It shows download errors for all selections and (at least in my case) the booting to recovery can be done by selecting the entry when powering down the device. Do I need an account?
  8. QWERTY Hardware keyboard layout. Is it even possible to change this? I would prefer German, especially for the umlauts.

BrianXP7, thanks for your efforts in cooking the ROM (is "cooking" still an acceptable expression ^^ ?).
Do you still think I should give ZeamDroid a try or is the situation described above as good as it will get?

Yours truly,
Smoover

santos81

May 12, 2009
Hi all!
I installed CoolrunnerII's ROM and sems it is fine. Could you help me with VPN on this ROM? It doesn't work. I found some decision with VPNC but it needs right compiled tun.ko driver. In the DroidVPN repository I can't find it. Could you help and compile it? I think it will be useful for all. Thanks a lot!

kuskro

Sep 6, 2009
Hi all!
I installed CoolrunnerII's ROM and sems it is fine. Could you help me with VPN on this ROM? It doesn't work. I found some decision with VPNC but it needs right compiled tun.ko driver. In the DroidVPN repository I can't find it. Could you help and compile it? I think it will be useful for all. Thanks a lot!

FEAT VPN shoud work because it doesn't need the tun.ko module. You can download the full app version on www.featvpn.com for free.

Best.

santos81

May 12, 2009
I think it's not what I need. I need connect my device to our corporate network via vpn L2tp/ipsec psk through cisco asa with soft 8.4 and VPNC can do it. But VPNC need tun.ko

CoolrunnerII

Jan 27, 2012
Trondheim
I think it's not what I need. I need connect my device to our corporate network via vpn L2tp/ipsec psk through cisco asa with soft 8.4 and VPNC can do it. But VPNC need tun.ko

If you use fastboot and flash the latest boot.img you will get the tun.ko file. You can have a look at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1487169 you can see how to extract the contents of the boot.img file if you want to just install the file.

zargloub allways pubilshed boot.img files with all the kernel modules installed, but I never got around to including them in my ROMs. If I get the time I can try to put them in.

santos81

May 12, 2009
Hi all.
Have 1 question.
I took boot.img from CoolrunnerII's code.google.project, unpack it and there are version 2.6.35.7-92869-g3461e2d. In my xperia there is 2.6.35.7-92872-g3f0092b. The question - Will tun.ko from 2.6.35.7-92869-g3461e2d work on 2.6.35.7-92872-g3f0092b? Or maybe somebody have full boot.img version 2.6.35.7-92872-g3f0092b?
Thanks!

CoolrunnerII

Jan 27, 2012
Trondheim
Hi all.
Have 1 question.
I took boot.img from CoolrunnerII's code.google.project, unpack it and there are version 2.6.35.7-92869-g3461e2d. In my xperia there is 2.6.35.7-92872-g3f0092b. The question - Will tun.ko from 2.6.35.7-92869-g3461e2d work on 2.6.35.7-92872-g3f0092b? Or maybe somebody have full boot.img version 2.6.35.7-92872-g3f0092b?
Thanks!

As long as it is more or less the same kernel version a kernel module will work. If you found a module compiled for a 2.4 kernel you would get problems, but any build of the same version will work. (The full version string here is 2.6.35)

Good luck!

santos81

May 12, 2009
I tried and have a problem - versions are important. insmod return error - Exec format error. Dmesg says - version magic 2.6.35.7-92869-g3461e2d - should be 2.6.35.7-92872-g3f0092b. Could somebody help me?

santos81

May 12, 2009
It doesn't work. Maybe some limitations of the kernel? Insmod doesn't accept any options on my xperia.
usage - insmod <module.o> - thats all. Have you another variants for solving this issue?

CoolrunnerII

Jan 27, 2012
Trondheim
It doesn't work. Maybe some limitations of the kernel? Insmod doesn't accept any options on my xperia.
usage - insmod <module.o> - thats all. Have you another variants for solving this issue?

You are right, it doen't work.

Try flashing this kernel with fastboot: http://code.google.com/p/cyanogenmod-kovsky/downloads/detail?name=boot_LCD_Power_off.img&can=2&q=

Then you try to use insmod to install the module. If everything fails I can try to build a kernel with tunnelig built into it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We now have a complete working build environment for CyanogenMod7.2 for the X1/kovsky.

Feature list:

* Phone works (SMS, calls, HSDPA, EDGE et al)
    * Wifi works with open access points and WPA encryption. Signal meter is now working. (WEP does not work, you may get unexpected disconnects, and have to reconnect sometimes)
    * Bluetooth works, but turning bluetooth off will drain your battery very fast. (You need to reboot stop this)
    * GPS works with AGPS, but may crash your phone.
    * Camera can take pictures. (No autofocus)
    * Automatic adjustment of screen backlight
    * About 40 hours battery life.

Issues we are working on:

* Fix bluetooth turn off bug
    * Power usage

Issues that will probably not be resolved:

* FM-radio

This is based on SP3DEV/Alex's earlier work with lots of contributions from the rest of the community.

The android code is at: https://github.com/CoolrunnerII/
    The kernel code is maintained by Zargloub at: https://gitorious.org/~poussevin/linux-on-qualcomm-s-msm/tp-alex-linux-xperia

If anyone feel they have the skill and interest to contribute directly to these repos please contact me and I may arrange with write permision for more people.

Precompiled releses can be found in the second post.

We have a google code page with a issue tracker.

Build instructions can be found in the google code wiki
    20121001:

* First fix for wifi signal meter in wpa_supplicant. Signal level changes with distance from access point. I need feedback about absolute levels. (Should it read higher or lower?)

cm-7-20121002

20120920:

* Small change to wpa_supplicant.conf that may enable WEP access points. I can't test this at the moment, so I would like some feedback on this.

cm-7-20120920

recovery:

* with the same kernel as 20120919
    * with Elibl's fixes for screen roation and font size

Mediafire: recovery.img

20120919:

* gps.kovsky.so with agps support (got some crashes when enabled with wifi)
    * zargloubs latest kernel with my touchscreen fix.
    * working camera

Mediafire: cm-7-20120919

20120902:

* Only change from 20120902 is libcamera.so
    * Camera should work now. Using what I believe is the proprietary HTC Dream libcamera.so that has been included in all the other ROM's

cm-7-20120902 [broken]

20120831:

* First release with working GPS included
    * Standard CM7.2
    * Latest kernel from zargloub (without modules, if you need them you will have to flash a boot.img afterwards)
    * RIL is working as far as I can tell
    * Camera lib seems to be broken, but I haven't tested it all that much
    * KNOWN BUG: When GPS is in use the touchscreen stops working.
    * WARNING; There has been a reported boot loop caused by booting with gps enabled. I think I have fixed this bug, but havent tested the fix. If you end up in a boot loop you will have to enter recovery and flash a zip without gps.

cm-7-20120831 [broken]

Initial alfa release: cm-7-20120801
    I finally found out why we don't have any signal level reading for wifi. We are using wpa_supplicant_6 as all the other gingerbreads are using, only we are the only ones using the nl80211 driver in there, and that driver doesn't have any driver_cmd function. All the other ones that have the same ti wifi chipset as us are using some sort of proprietary driver. The ones having broadcom wifi are using the wext driver. driver_cmd handles signal level and power saving modes and stuff like that.

I'll have a go at implementing the driver_cmd function. When I have the time to figure out what ioctl calls to use I may get the signal level up from the kernel space driver into wpa_supplicant and from there up to the libwifi module and all the way up to android gui. :p

I'm trying to get hold of another X1 to open up and connect to a logic analyzer. I'll leave the power consumption issues until I do. If I can boot a phone in windows mobile and measure the voltages and current then I may have a better idea what do do to extend out battery life. Also getting the i2c bus transactions would be very helpful.
    I just uploaded Build 20130310.

This includes:

* Battery temp readout ( Big applause for Syahmixp for the patch :D )
    * Battery driver i2c cleanup. This may fix the lost keys bug.
    * Backlight value is remembered during suspend. This will make the screen brighter faster if used outdoors.
    * tun.ko is now included in the rom and loaded at boot time.

You can grab it from the Google code download page
    I have to agree, CyanogenMod 6.2 does fit for the Kovsky. I also edit the build.prop file just to make it match the correct build number. It's a little bit of an OCD thing of mine. It would also be great if this ROM is available on ROM Manager, it would be really user friendly.

By the way, the WiFi meter seems to be quite exact so far. And the download link in the second post leads to an older build.

Sent from my Kovsky using xda app-developers app

I fixed the download link now. Sorry for that :p

I don't think I'll start work on a CM 6.2 build. If anyone want to try it feel free, I can give out write permisions for the repos so you can start you own branch.

I think the wifi meter was a bit low, so I'll add some on it in the next release. I may be able to include power save modes also, I'm looking into it.

The good news is that I just won an ebay auction on a X1 with a broken headset plug. When I get it I'll start some proper power supply measurement and open it up and see if I can figure out what i2c commands are sendt under windows mobile.