[STICKY][FAQ] Viewsonic G-Tablet ROMs Frequently Asked Questions (READ THIS FIRST)

Search This thread

obaid_oj

May 1, 2011
best rom for gtab

can anyone tell me or suggest me about which is the best rom in view sonic gtab (which has less hanging problems less bugs obviously and with camera working). i am currently using gingerbread in it.

viperlmw

Mar 26, 2011
Cyanogenmod 7.2.0

can anyone tell me or suggest me about which is the best rom in view sonic gtab (which has less hanging problems less bugs obviously and with camera working). i am currently using gingerbread in it.
The latest from Cyanogenmod for G-tab stable mod is 7.2.0, smb_a1002. Requires some tinkering (older version of google maps and older flash is needed), but camera works wifi works and it's very easy on the battery.

gmtk1990

May 23, 2011
ROM-AOSP][BL-1.2]G-Harmony Jellybean 4.1.2 ODEXed (UPDATED 12/25)

I installed this Rom

for some reason I can't move apps to my SD card with this ROM. Why is that?

rajeevvp

Aug 20, 2010
Bangalore
I installed this Rom

for some reason I can't move apps to my SD card with this ROM. Why is that?
Is the move-app-to-SDcard feature not there at all, or is it merely greyed out?

Any particular reason why you don't want your apps to be in their usual place--ie. in /data?

mikedbq

May 19, 2011
Smoother Bean 1/5/13 Contacts & Calendar Issue

I just installed the most recent Smoother Bean ROM and it seems to be working pretty well.

I noticed that it did not come with the Google Calendar as part of the ROM. When I installed it from the Play Store, it won't sync because the Account settings list only the Browser, Chrome, Gmail and Google Play Music as items that can be synced.

Also, the People (or Contacts) app doesn't sync to my Gmail Contacts either.

Is there a way to enable this or do I want to avoid having these apps on the Gtablet for some reason?

Any help would be appreciated!

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

So far I've discovered the following apps don't function properly in Smoother Bean, based on a fresh install of the 1/5/13 ROM as instructed in the original post.

- Gas Buddy (starts to load and then says "Unfortunetly, GasBuddy has stopped.")
- Weather Bug Elite (actually caused a reboot of my tablet)

Anybody want to add to the list ... I'll update it here as I have time.

Last edited:

mikedbq

May 19, 2011
I just installed the most recent Smoother Bean ROM and it seems to be working pretty well.

I noticed that it did not come with the Google Calendar as part of the ROM. When I installed it from the Play Store, it won't sync because the Account settings list only the Browser, Chrome, Gmail and Google Play Music as items that can be synced.

Also, the People (or Contacts) app doesn't sync to my Gmail Contacts either.

Is there a way to enable this or do I want to avoid having these apps on the Gtablet for some reason?

Any help would be appreciated!

---------- Post added at 10:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:02 PM ----------

So far I've discovered the following apps don't function properly in Smoother Bean, based on a fresh install of the 1/5/13 ROM as instructed in the original post.

- Gas Buddy (starts to load and then says "Unfortunetly, GasBuddy has stopped.")
- Weather Bug Elite (actually caused a reboot of my tablet)

Anybody want to add to the list ... I'll update it here as I have time.

Ooops ... chalk this one up to not searching something out well enough. The 2nd post of the OP has a "SystemApps.zip" download that you install after the ROM is installed. I wish that the OP was edited for that to avoid the confusion, but in reality, this is my fault for not reading past the OP. Calendar and Contacts are now syncing and working.

hillje1

Apr 6, 2011
Where can I find that file' smoother bean lags too much!

Sent from my Malata SMBA1002 using Tapatalk 2

downloadbob

Apr 5, 2011
Albuquerque
SmoOther Bean laggy on first boot and after wakeup?

Installed SmoOther Bean a while back and performance is rather laggy when I first boot up and when I wake it up after putting it to sleep via the power button.

It wakes up normally, but the screen and input are rather slow to respond. I have tried the settings suggested in the Developers Options - set background processes to none, etc. and after a bit of use it seems to respond normally.

I've also wiped cache and Dalvik, but no change. Considering installing something else or reverting back to Vegan - any suggestions before I get that extreme?

Thanks!

Downloadbob

downloadbob

Apr 5, 2011
Albuquerque
A bit better

Switched from Go Launcher EX to the default that came with the ROM (Apex I believe) and the lag is a bit reduced, but still looking for some other settings I could change to get rid of it.

Otherwise, I may heed others recommending switching to Blackbean ROM. Suggestions?

Downloadbob

Installed SmoOther Bean a while back and performance is rather laggy when I first boot up and when I wake it up after putting it to sleep via the power button.

It wakes up normally, but the screen and input are rather slow to respond. I have tried the settings suggested in the Developers Options - set background processes to none, etc. and after a bit of use it seems to respond normally.

I've also wiped cache and Dalvik, but no change. Considering installing something else or reverting back to Vegan - any suggestions before I get that extreme?

Thanks!

Downloadbob

hikouka71

Dec 13, 2008
Prescott Valley, AZ
sorry to necrothread, but i was wondering what the best/most lightweight rom was for this tab?

i have one with the malata doc that i'd like to turn into a smarthome interface (smartthings tiles, etc)

so it would just sit on the sofa table and act as an additional input device for the various smart home items/apps we'd have

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here are some frequently asked questions about the G-Tablet. Where there are specific answers based on ROM, the ROM is listed prior to the answer.

How do I install Clockworkmod?
    See Step 1 of THIS POST
    OR watch THIS VIDEO

How do I boot into Clockworkmod?
    With the device completely off (and not asleep/suspended), press the + volume button and the power button until the device turns on. If it is successfully booting into Clockworkmod, you will see a message at the top left of the screen saying booting recovery image.

How do I perform a wipe data/factory reset?
    With Clockworkmod, select the third option in the menu "wipe data/factory reset" and press the Home key (second button down on the right side of the gTablet in landscape view). Then, confirm wipe by selecting "Yes - wipe data/factory reset" and press the Home key again.

How do I clear the cache?
    With Clockworkmod, select the fourth option in the menu "wipe cache partition" and press the Home key (second button down on the right side of the gTablet in landscape view). Then, confirm wipe by selecting "Yes - Wipe Cache" and press the Home key again.

How do I install VEGAn-TAB/TnT Lite/Cyanogenmod?
    See the very first post of THIS THREAD

Where can I find the different ROMs for the G-Tablet?
    1) Stock by Viewsonic
    2) Stock + Performance Pack by rothnic
    3) Tnt Lite 4.1 by Roebeet
    4) VEGAn-TAB beta 5.1 by gojimi, Roebeet and Rothic
    5) Zpad Clean 3.0 by rothnic
    6) CyanogenMod 6.1 Beta4 by bekriebel
    7) CyanogenMod 7.0 RC0 beta3 by bittrix
    8) Tnt G-Harmony-Gingerbread Elements by tjohnsonjr
    9) Plus the great kernel enhancement by clemsyn.

Keyboard and Mouse Support
    VEGAn-TAB: Yes; supports an external keyboard and mouse, but it is picky. I have tested three keyboards; only one worked (MS Natural Keyboard). The MS Arc and an old Compaq keyboard did not. All mouses tested worked fine (both wireless and wired).
    TnT-Lite: In testing; will update when testing complete.
    Cyanogenmod 6.1b4: Yes; According to iammuze, keyboard and mouse both work.

Wallpaper blurry
    Some have pointed to applications that can possibly fix this (Wallpaper Set & Save, MultiPicture Live Wallpaper) but I have had limited success with both of these. A bit of experimenting with different wallpapers will yield a satisfactory wallpaper image until this is cleared up at a later time.

Screen resolution in landscape (horizontal) mode
    1024 x 600. Remember that if you're making wallpaper, when using the G-Tab in portrait mode (vertically) will make the wallpaper shrink and there will be black bars on top and below the image. Best image size: 1024 x 1024.

How do I get a fully working Marketplace?
    See Step 3 of THIS POST

Is there a difference between the marketplace that comes with most G-Tablet ROM builds or the new "improved" market?
    The only difference is the appearance. In functionality, it is the same. The market hack is still required for the new improved marketplace (and reports are that it often takes more tries to make work than the standard market).

Problems with acore FC's
    The problem is a corrupt contacts sqlite database. As the referenced post says, you'll be able to tell if thats the problem when there is a .db-journal file in the folder. The folder is /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts/databases/ *Note* this is not the data folder in sdcard, but the data folder in root (/).

Just delete the databases folder in /data/data/com.android.providers.contacts and restart. The contacts database will be rebuilt and re-synced.

Also, see THIS THREAD/FAQ

Why do I keep seeing repartitioning as a solution to install problems?
    Because Viewsonic didn't partition the G-Tablets in a way that Android likes to live on. By repartitioning, Android feels happier and many issues/problems are resolved.

What is the recommended repartition ratio?
    2GB/0MB is STRONGLY recommended for TnT Lite 3.00+
    2GB/256MB is considered the default setup
    4GB/256MB is used by many people, but see the aforementioned caveat regarding TnT Lite.

Why won't one of the devs answer my question/post?
    Because they:

1. Have day jobs.
    2. Are busy coding and fixing the next release of VEGAn-TAB.
    3. Have seen your question 23 times already in this thread: the search function is your friend.
    4. Are not being paid to read forums and go through 100's of posts, many of which ask the same question (although they do this out of the kindness of their hearts thankfully!!!).

Who are the devs working on the G-Tablet
    VEGAn-TAB: Gojimi, Rothnic, and Roebeet
    TnT-Lite: Roebeet
    Cyanogenmod 6.1b4: bekriebel

I can't get X to work on my G-Tab. Can you fix it? (where x = desired ROM)
    Maybe. Maybe not. Currently, VEGAn-TAB is in Beta which means that it's still in testing. While it may be stable and usable for most people, it doesn't mean that it will be completely stable for you. If you have problems, post them and be happy knowing that you're helping the community at-large. Some problems may not be reproducible, however. In that case, it may be a matter of a corrupt install, conflict with previous install, cache or data issue, etc.

Do the dev's accept donations for their work?
    Some do; others don't. If you see a donate button on their profile, feel free. If not, they don't accept them.

How to get the stock VEGAn-TAB wallpaper without the letters?
    See attached image in 1024 x 1024.
    Great FAQ!

"Why won't one of the devs answer my question/post?" is so true. I scan this forum daily, but there is no way to keep up with all the questions that pop up (especially once it's back more than 2 pages). If you really need me, PM me - at least I'll eventually see the question. But, keep in mind that I get more PM's than you might realize, so it could take me some time to respond.
    More Advanced Questions.

Can the startup "Viewsonic Birds" or "gTablet" screens be changed?
    Yes they can. Follow the instructions in THIS POST.
    Can someone update the FAQ of this thread? there are several more new ROMs now..

As far as I know, here are the valid ROMs for gtablet
    1) Stock by Viewsonic
    2) Stock + Performance Pack by rothnic
    3) Tnt Lite 4.1 by Roebeet
    4) Vegan beta 5.1 by gojimi, Roebeet and Rothic
    5) Zpad Clean 3.0 by rothnic
    6) CyanogenMod 6.1 Beta4 by bekriebel
    7) CyanogenMod 7.0 RC0 beta3 by bittrix
    8) Tnt G-Harmony-Gingerbread Elements by tjohnsonjr
    9) Plus the great kernel enhancement by clemsyn.

I am actively following the forum and still have a hard time to keep up all the new ROMs + enhancement. :D
    Reserved for future use #3.