HOW TO: fix Droid/Milestone touchscreen lack of responsiveness and Ghost Touch issues

Search This thread

BoyBawang2

Nov 25, 2008
Last month I bought a Digitizer from Ebay. While disassembling i was stumbled on two stripped screws around the screen. For weeks I searched help but all cellphone technicians here cant provide solution. I didn't want to invest on an expensive drilling tool just to install a digitizer that i'm not even certain it would work. I'm left with no other alternative but to cut the screw heads myself using sharp screw driver. It took me 30mins for each screw. Yesterday I installed the digitizer and now my Milestone screen is working like a champ :)

lord_neo

Feb 19, 2011
I had this issue ...
I would suggest go with step 1 .. get the digitizer replaced from a repair shop..
If that is not an option for you then try doing it by yourself.
You can buy a digitizer off ebay and replace it...
below is a link though it is for atrix you can find something similar.
Also there are a bunch of videos on youtube which show you how to do it step by step.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1041544

Abazel

Jan 17, 2011
Iasi
While connected to PC, my phone has ghost touch. Today, after copying some music in the SD, another segment of the touch stopped working. I left the phone for about 2 hours then it started working again. After reconnecting to PC and doing some changes to SD it stopped working... forever I'm afraid. 8-|

Dexter_nlb

Feb 12, 2009
Copenhagen
a quick note,
I found my milestone, from the boxes, where i placed as being defective. i guess it was early on i saw this erractic behaviour..

anyways,
i did not use the owen to fix it, but i can confirm i tried this out with a hair dryer and it works.. my erratic screen suddenly works fine when i placed the air of a heated hair dryer on the display for some time..
with a hair dryer the effect is actually seen disappear, when the screen acts erratic and you give it some heat. and it suddenly back to normal..

thanks after a long time, my milestone became alive, although im not gonna use it, its working again..

Reactions: KrellaKrentoshi

thefayth

Oct 31, 2011
Another fix

This is the craziest phone issue, I've had it with 3 phones (1 Droid, 2 Droid 2's) and had tried lots of things before getting a Verizon support tech who suggested something weird that seems to have worked.

Try taking out your SD card, see if the phone stops ghosting and acting possessed. With the SD card out, the phone worked perfectly. So I did the next steps in the fix, copy all data from SD card to PC, then format SD card using PC. Then stick SD card into the phone and unmount it, then format the SD card using the phone. Pop out SD card and copy all data back onto the SD card using the PC. Put SD card back in and that's the fix. Not sure if this will work for everyone and it just seems wrong, like why would THIS work? Still once the SD card is gone, the behavior stops like it was never happening...seems like it's worth a try if you've tried everything else.

Previous tries:
Using Motorola charger instead of 3rd party
Changing Screen
Exchanging for a re-furbished phone (twice)

Reactions: KrellaKrentoshi

perromatic

Sep 30, 2011
i have bought and change my digitizer but it still have issues............it is only working in the middle ...........can someone help plz.............is there a way to calibrate it

mautas

Aug 8, 2010
Barnes & Noble Nook HD, HD
Hair dryer alternative

a quick note,
I found my milestone, from the boxes, where i placed as being defective. i guess it was early on i saw this erractic behaviour..

anyways,
i did not use the owen to fix it, but i can confirm i tried this out with a hair dryer and it works.. my erratic screen suddenly works fine when i placed the air of a heated hair dryer on the display for some time..
with a hair dryer the effect is actually seen disappear, when the screen acts erratic and you give it some heat. and it suddenly back to normal..

thanks after a long time, my milestone became alive, although im not gonna use it, its working again..

I can confirm this works. Last night a vertical column above (and including) the menu button became unresponsive. After reading the first post I thought the hottest air from my hair dryer would work.

I removed battery, SD card and SIM Card since the telephone becomes notably hot. The screen bezel is aluminium and it will be very very hot, so be careful when touching the phone. The best you can do is let it cool down without moving it at all and then proceed to put back the memory, SIM card and battery.

WarByte

Jul 1, 2009
Atlantis
Got my milestone out, touched it and it started messing up, blew some hot air directly on the screen making sure I didnt melt anything, as soon as it started warming up it stopped and is working now :) let's see how long it lasts.

Thanks for the suggestion, milestone resurected! :D

GhiocaG

May 29, 2012
hello to all...a few days back my stone startes to have ghost screen issues.it started acting crazy since i updated the ics nightly from the 19th...i've been flashing like crazy custom roms lately,going back and forth between cm7 and cm9...this morning i restored the stock rom,wiped the ext3 partition and unrooted my MM,basicly a bit of reverse enginering :)...until now...no issues...will come back with feedback...hopefully it was just a software problem in my case...i also suspect the issue aparead because of heat caused by overclocking and heavy usage of the phone.
Another reason might be the new driver...i mean leftovers in the sd-ext3...i don't realy know

P.S. i will help anyone who needs my help,also i had a nandroid backup of the stock rom

Hey guys,just got home from work...it's 5 min drive...when i arrived home my stone started to act weird again,so reverting to stock is not a solution...i guess i'll send it to the shop

Last edited:

Eiertschik

Mar 28, 2011
Google Nexus 4
Google Nexus 5
There's reports of CM9 causing the touch screen to behave strangely when gapps are missing - did you install them?

If the problem is not related to any rom it's most likely hardware-wise.
Often caused by moisture in the screen/digitizer assembly.

Some have managed to fix it by various means of drying.
Daring ones put it in the oven - I'd suggest placing it in a airtight box full of rice or silica gel - anything that absorbs moisture.

Reactions: GhiocaG

GhiocaG

May 29, 2012
There's reports of CM9 causing the touch screen to behave strangely when gapps are missing - did you install them?

Daring ones put it in the oven - I'd suggest placing it in a airtight box full of rice or silica gel - anything that absorbs moisture.

yes,every time i install a new rom...i simply follow the steps to avoid faulty functions.so if i "update" cm9...again with the gapps...the whole procedure like i'm installing for the first time...and i had working ics almost from the begining(alpha) without the issue home buton not working and so on.
Thank you for the help.

amponzi

Jul 29, 2012
I had the same ghosting issues with my A955 Droid 2, my problem area was the middle of the screen. I noticed that if I locked the screen, held down the ear-speaker area, unlocked, and kept it held down, I could use the touch screen no problem. Does that mean adhesive is part of the problem?

So, I tried a modified approach to the original poster. I got a baking pan and a dish towel, put the dish towel in the pan, and put the phone screen facing down on the dish towel. I "baked" it in a regular electric oven for 45 minutes at 170 degrees Fahrenheit and the touch screen worked fine for about 2 days.

I just did it again tonight except what I did differently was I did it for 80 minutes and I let it cool in the oven itself for 3 hours after instead of pulling it out and letting it cool outside. We'll see how long it lasts this time. But, thank you original poster for giving me a rather oddball way of dehydrating electronics!

Last edited:

amponzi

Jul 29, 2012
I had the same ghosting issues with my A955 Droid 2, my problem area was the middle of the screen. I noticed that if I locked the screen, held down the ear-speaker area, unlocked, and kept it held down, I could use the touch screen no problem. Does that mean adhesive is part of the problem?

So, I tried a modified approach to the original poster. I got a baking pan and a dish towel, put the dish towel in the pan, and put the phone screen facing down on the dish towel. I "baked" it in a regular electric oven for 45 minutes at 170 degrees Fahrenheit and the touch screen worked fine for about 2 days.

I just did it again tonight except what I did differently was I did it for 80 minutes and I let it cool in the oven itself for 3 hours after instead of pulling it out and letting it cool outside. We'll see how long it lasts this time. But, thank you original poster for giving me a rather oddball way of dehydrating electronics!

Nevermind, didn't work. Looks like I'll be sending it in to SquareTrade for a warranty fix. Do Droid 3s have this problem?

archnoob

Nov 26, 2012
milestone 2 in the owen

Hi all,

I have the same issue with milestone 2, so it is siting in the owen at the moment :) I will update with results :)

UPDATE: home button works again, dead zone disappeared. It seems humidity was the source of the problem. But it will occur again, because humidity is inevitable. Any suggestions about permanent fix?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    NOTE: THIS SOLUTION IS POTENTIALLY DAMAGING AND MAY NOT WORK FOR EVERYONE

PROBLEM: touch screen acts erratic, notification bar keeps opening, screen appears to be touched by someone else continuously (Ghost Touch), and parts of the screen DO NOT RESPOND TO TOUCH.

MY OWN SPECIFIC CASE: I had the Ghost Touch issue for 3 days suddenly without intro, which often used to go away after a reboot or two, then phone worked normally after I removed the battery and left it in a dry area (in a closed drawer between books, no air entering, very dry atmosphere), however the RIGHT SIDE of the screen (Search button, rightmost letters [L and Delete and sometimes ENTER] do not work. If the phone is in normal landscape, you cannot open the notification bar by dragging it normally.

DIAGNOSIS: for some people, the problem is more severe. The Digitiser itself could be malfunctioning and has to be fixed, while for others it could be a true problem with the screen itself. However, for MANY OF US, it is a problem of HUMIDITY. The humidity sensors are causing the phone to act like that. Some say part of this problem happens because the way the keypad affects the phone internally as you open and close it a lot.

SOLUTIONS:

1- To be safe: send the phone to the shop. Ask them to open the phone and apply an extra layer of insulation, in case the digitiser and the screen are okay.

2- If something is faulty, replace it at the shop.

3- MY OWN SOLUTION: based on something I read many times, the solution was to apply DRY HEAT for at least 45 mins. What I did, based on averaging out many experiences I read online, was to remove the SD Card and SIM, remove battery, I heated up a toaster oven for 10 minutes, waited until the temperature was at about 60-70 degrees Celsius, SHUT DOWN THE HEAT, put the phone on its screen on a plate, screen facing down and covered by a cloth to protect it from direct contact with metal, then all inside the oven. The oven is a relatively big one, so phone was AWAY FROM A SOURCE OF DIRECT HEAT. I closed the lid, then every while 15 minutes I would heat the oven for 40 seconds to maintain the temp. This is LIKE (ALTERNATIVE SOLUTION) leaving your phone in the glove compartment of your car while its parked in a sunny spot, to find it really hot in the morning and tough to touch for a while. TO CONTINUE, after the phone was out of the oven (I can't believe I am saying this), I left the phone overnight in a dry area for 8 hours (could need less time). Then, I put everything back in, plugged it, and THE PHONE IS WORKING PERFECTLY NOW!

NOTE that solution number 3 could affect your keyboard buttons if heat is too much. It may cause the glue holding the keys to melt a bit. Be delicate with your keyboard after you restore your phone.

Again, I only did this YESTERDAY. With the exception of some keypad stickiness, the phone is working perfectly now.

I hope this was useful :)

B.

EDIT: Today is the First of May, phone is still working without a glitch :)

N.B. Press the Thank you button if you wanna congratulate me on daring to toast my milestone in the name of scientific inquiry :)

SECOND EDIT: Phone did it again for 2 days. Applied the same method, and it worked again. I think partially it happened because I was in a very humid location.
    a quick note,

anyways,

Another fix

This is the craziest phone issue, I've had it with 3 phones (1 Droid, 2 Droid 2's) and had tried lots of things before getting a Verizon support tech who suggested something weird that seems to have worked.

Try taking out your SD card, see if the phone stops ghosting and acting possessed. With the SD card out, the phone worked perfectly. So I did the next steps in the fix, copy all data from SD card to PC, then format SD card using PC. Then stick SD card into the phone and unmount it, then format the SD card using the phone. Pop out SD card and copy all data back onto the SD card using the PC. Put SD card back in and that's the fix. Not sure if this will work for everyone and it just seems wrong, like why would THIS work? Still once the SD card is gone, the behavior stops like it was never happening...seems like it's worth a try if you've tried everything else.

Previous tries:
    Using Motorola charger instead of 3rd party
    Changing Screen
    Exchanging for a re-furbished phone (twice)