[Q] Asus Transformer Pad TF103C Tablet - Root? (Intel Bay Trail Z3745, Android 4.4)

Search This thread

duboisj

Mar 19, 2014
Today I got one of the new Asus Trasformer Pad tablets. They just rev'd the line and this one is running Android 4.4.2 and has an Intel Bay Trail Z3745 processor.

This is a very new device: yesterday was the first day this variety of Intel processor was supposed to be available in a tablet, and I had this one on pre-order and it arrived today. Of course, I want to root it. ;)

If anyone knows how I would love it, or pointers to ideas. I rooted my prior Intel Android tablet (an HP Slate 7 1800 "mesquite") with the TwerkMyMoto hack from this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2548742

which has been very helpful. (I find it quite limiting to do development on a non-rooted device, and what I'm working on doesn't run on an emulator). I am very much non-expert at rooting / recovery, and I'm not sure I would make any headway on my own. Depending how much of a limitation lack of root proves to be, if no one has better ideas then I may eventually just start trying things, and if I have any success, certainly I will post back here.

Cheers.

bit.perfect

Sep 5, 2013
I just got this new tablet and like the performance very much!

I too am interested in rooting it. If anyone has any suggests please post here.

I have tried some generic root methods for x86 tablets, but have not had any luck. The bootloader in locked and when I try to run adb as root, I get an error message "adbd cannot run as root in production builds"

I am a newbie, but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know and I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

rycheme

Jun 2, 2010
I just got this new tablet and like the performance very much!

I too am interested in rooting it. If anyone has any suggests please post here.

I have tried some generic root methods for x86 tablets, but have not had any luck. The bootloader in locked and when I try to run adb as root, I get an error message "adbd cannot run as root in production builds"

I am a newbie, but if anyone has any suggestions please let me know and I'll give it a try.

Thanks!

I just picked up one of these today and am also interested in root :)

dublinman

Feb 3, 2010
It's been two weeks now and I managed to discover some drawbacks. In my case it is closing some applications without any reason. The message displayed says usually that application was suddenly closed or that there was some error etc. I appreciate asus issuing constantly some system updates but they just don't seem to be improving anything so far. Another thing is that I can't connect my HP LJ 1018 printer to USB port. NTFS formatted pendrive also doesn't work... Root access could make this device more useful for me. Anyone... please...

goranmrd

Jul 24, 2014
I've got mine 3 days ago and for now I'm satisfied. It would be better if it had an HDMI. I'm waiting for root too. Want to make an swap file to extend RAM memory. I hope someone will make tutorial for us. :cool:

rycheme

Jun 2, 2010
Edit: My TF103 died and couldn't come back to life. I'd only had it for 15 days. I returned it and bought a Galaxy Tab 4 instead.

Last edited:

Nebtastic

Jan 13, 2011
Austin
Got one as well

It's been two weeks now and I managed to discover some drawbacks. In my case it is closing some applications without any reason. The message displayed says usually that application was suddenly closed or that there was some error etc. I appreciate asus issuing constantly some system updates but they just don't seem to be improving anything so far. Another thing is that I can't connect my HP LJ 1018 printer to USB port. NTFS formatted pendrive also doesn't work... Root access could make this device more useful for me. Anyone... please...

I picked one of these up before the weekend, and now its become my weekend. Here is what I've managed to figure out:

ASUS Transformer Pad MG10/TF103C

Enable the Developer menu:
Settings -> About -> Software information -> Tap Build number numerous times
Settings -> About -> Software information -> Tap Android version numerous times get a Kitkat animation (Easter egg, nothing helpful)

Using adb reboot bootloader, I have learned this about the bootloader:
DROIDBOOT bootloader
Version 2.0

and everything else you can make out in the picture. Sorry, the size restrictions were getting me.

Last edited:

Nebtastic

Jan 13, 2011
Austin
Update.zip from ASUS

I'm not an Android developer, so forgive me if this question is a facepalmer. Asus has an update.zip for this new model, but its like the guy that updates their website was in a hurry for the weekend so half of the fields aren't filled in. I have determined which update.zip would apply to my particular device, and when I extract everything there is a boot.img, fastboot.img, recovery.img, etc

Can you build a root update package from this or is it not that simple? Currently, there isn't anything out as far as a unlocking package from ASUS or anyone else.

Am I on the right path or am I pissing in the wind?

alongenemylines

Jan 2, 2008
Taylorsville, KY
Can you build a root update package from this or is it not that simple? Currently, there isn't anything out as far as a unlocking package from ASUS or anyone else.

Am I on the right path or am I pissing in the wind?

You're on the right track. To get root via a flashable zip, you either need a custom recovery (to flash unsigned zips), or a way to sign the zip to make it look official to the device.

Usually once a custom recovery is available, custom roms follow pretty quickly.

zyo00ody

Jul 29, 2014
Hello

:( i wan't any thing do Root for Asus TF103C.
-why there is nothing do Root for the tablet? (Is this for strong security of the tablet?:cowboy:)
Pleeeeaaaassssseee we want Root for this best tablet on Earth:highfive::p:silly:.

Last edited:

PatriceJ

Jan 26, 2008
Developer are welcome

I'm also looking forward to have a root!.
I have tried all programs available, none works

Developer are welcome to root Asus TF103

Last edited:

Nebtastic

Jan 13, 2011
Austin
Asus Support

How%20to%20use%20the%20Public%20folder.rtf
Ok, I figured this would be a fruitless journey, but since they released bootloader unlock tools for the last Transformers I thought I would give them a shot.
Asus support says there is no unlocked bootloader. So at this time, there is no support from manufacturer to unlock bootloader or root this device. It looks like to root this device someone is just going to have to hack it.

I have used adb to install busybox and framaroot, but neither were successful. The applications show up in the collection, but when you execute them they fail and close because they cannot attain root access.

Last edited:

cocopwr

Nov 24, 2013
I just got this tablet a few days ago, and I love it!! I also long for root/unlockbootloader on this amazing device, I've also tried most rooting methods and without success. But I did discover that they have released the source for its kernel. what is the point of that if they are going to lock the bootloader? :c sorry I am new to this and I dont understand

(cant attach link to kernel yet, sorry!)

Morbius_III

Feb 3, 2012
Planet Earth
I just picked this a week ago...

I just got this tablet a few days ago, and I love it!! I also long for root/unlockbootloader on this amazing device, I've also tried most rooting methods and without success. But I did discover that they have released the source for its kernel. what is the point of that if they are going to lock the bootloader? :c sorry I am new to this and I dont understand

(cant attach link to kernel yet, sorry!)

I like this tablet, I use it in my office instead of my issued laptop. The best thing about it is its versatility and quick responsiveness, but it has applications I have no use for as well. If this device can be rooted it would be an added benefit to those of us using it. So, if anyone has the time and the patience I am sure it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

cocopwr

Nov 24, 2013
only if we could obtain temp root :c intel's security seems very tough this time... due to vulernabilities in the past platforms they don't want to unlock the bootloader it seems.

Sent from my K010 using XDA

bit.perfect

Sep 5, 2013
In case it helps I managed to get this device in fastboot mode and booted in safe mode (did not know that existed).

How to get device into Fastboot mode.
1. Press and hold the Volume + button and power button (while device is on).
2. When screen turns black release the power button, but remain holding the Volume + button.
Device should load the bootloader.

How to boot device into Safe Mode.
1. Press and hold the Volume - button and power button (while device is on).
2. When screen turns black release the power button, but remain holding the Volume - button.
Device should boot into safe mode.

I too am still looking for root method.

Reactions: firefighter5170

cortex1208

Sep 12, 2014
In case it helps I managed to get this device in fastboot mode and booted in safe mode (did not know that existed).

2. When screen turns black release the power button, but remain holding the Volume + button.

How to boot device into Safe Mode.
1. Press and hold the Volume - button and power button (while device is on).
2. When screen turns black release the power button, but remain holding the Volume - button.
Device should boot into safe mode.

I too am still looking for root method.

This app works for me : asuszenfoneblog app ->rootzenfone-144r

paintdrinkinpete

Apr 26, 2014
Houston
I found the safe mode and the recovery well enough, and I am extremely pleased with this device having traded in my fly tf300t to get it(keyboard nightmare!). It is quick, attractive, and hard to stump.. except for that achilles heel.. For some reason, this guy doesnt enjoi transforming so much. Also, ive caught him in bootloop and having to reboot from recovery. It is an intermittent issue and there seems to some kind of formula to doing all of this smoothly EVERY time. I am interested to hear of issues anybody else is having and if any of you are balding because of the keyboard issue with the previous transformer.. .. and asking for a referal to a good therapist if there are similar issues with this guy..

Sent from my K010 using XDA Free mobile app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello I have this tablet, I have bootloop for having changed the build.prop, you could help me recover? thanks in advance :)

Already solved, I found the system.img of .138 and install it for fastboot, with the command fastboot flash system system.zip after unzipping the file. I hope help you

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/e77f5b...C-2.2.33.138-release-user-20150108-signed.zip
    How to root if you receive the "warning apd or adf" error

I had to run around the block to figure out why some of these were rooting ant not others. The problem had to do with the exploit used to Root. I believe it's using the demo software that comes on some of these to create the exploit. In some models the demo software has been disabled\erased, you need to format the special partition for the rootzen to work.

1. Download and install RootZenPhon, I used 145, but I hear 144r works fine
    http://www.asuszenfoneblog.com/2014/09/download-rootzenfone-145r.html

2. Boot the device into Fastboot (Thanks Cortex1208)

3. Using a Fastboot console, type in:
    fastboot erase ADF
    fastboot reboot

4. Run the rootzenphone tool for the win.

I put 2 and 2 together with the Asus form that links restoring the demo software here:
    http://www.asus.com/microsite/demo/Demo2.1_content.htm
    Anyone has RAW format LP firmware for TF103C?
    Just like the post above, I did it... :crying:
    So, now, only (possible) chance is to use AFT, but it only accepts .raw file format...
    If you know another method, excellent... Help appreciated...

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 PM ----------

Thats all (translated) from: http://4pda.ru/forum/index.php?showtopic=606668&st=2040#entry47036689

- From official LP firmware unpack file esp.img
    - Extract file: bootx64.efi
    - Put all files (above file and firmware unpacked files), together with fastboot files in folder with adb files

In the folder with the unpacked files must be (among other files and folders) the following:
    - bootx64.efi
    - droidboot.img
    - boot.img
    - esp.img
    - partition.tbl

Then go to »Fastboot starting« on TF103C and connect it to PC.

Open cmd and input one command at the time (wait for response for each):
    - fastboot flash osloader bootx64.efi
    - fastboot boot droidboot.img
    - fastboot oem write_osip_header
    - fastboot flash boot boot.img
    - fastboot flash fastboot droidboot.img
    - fastboot oem start_partitioning
    - fastboot flash /tmp/partition.tbl partition.tbl
    - fastboot oem partition /tmp/partition.tbl
    - fastboot erase cache
    - fastboot erase userdata
    - fastboot oem stop_partitioning
    - fastboot oem wipe ESP
    - fastboot flash ESP esp.img
    - fastboot reboot

I followed that guide and now I'm able to boot into bootloader, normal boot (hangs and returns to bootloader), recovery (doesn't boot in recovery, returns to bootloader) or turn off (working :))… Now we need raw LP firmware to use Asus Flash Tool…
    Isn't this what your looking for?
    https://cloud.mail.ru/public/e77f5bbf8b84/tf103c/
    Already solved, I found the system.img of .138 and install it for fastboot, with the command fastboot flash system system.zip after unzipping the file. I hope help you

https://cloud.mail.ru/public/e77f5b...C-2.2.33.138-release-user-20150108-signed.zip

Thanks man this worked to get me from .122 to .138.
    For the people having trouble it flashes like a nexus using adb and flash update batch file in the link above. I can see how people had trouble flashing it, I did have root and deleted system app's so I wasn't getting OTA's anymore. I tried sideloading the updates in adb but that didn't work so I unrooted and factory reset. This method is very similar to how you flash a nexus, I have done it many times on my Nexus 4,5,7,9 so I recommend at least you know some of that process.

Little guide for everyone else (I am not responsible if you brick your device, do this at your own risk!!!!) I DID NOT have root and bootloader is locked.
    I had Google adb USB drivers installed already (http://developer.android.com/sdk/win-usb.html)
    I installed Intel adb USB drivers proir to flash (https://software.intel.com/en-us/android/articles/intel-usb-driver-for-android-devices)
    I use Minimal adb to flash my nexus, so If you never tried this tool before I don't recommend you flash this way (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790)
    I used the full upgrade installer from el_polilla1990 (someone really should mirror that before it goes away)

1. Install drivers and download system image, its big file so it takes a while (1.6GB).
    2. Put device into Droidboot(fastboot) mode by turning it off and holding VOl+ and Power at the same time
    3. Connect to PC USB while in fastboot
    3a. If you have minimal adb installed then run the command "fastboot devices", if you get the serial number in return this method should work then close adb.
    4. Unzip the file once and inside should be update_image.bat which is a one-click installer (signed correctly). Inside this folder is minimal adb files anyway so I recognized that its a one-click installer.
    5. It should take a while flashing all the parts but once it's done the tablet will reboot to .138.

The system.img is too big to flash itself since the one click parsed it into 3 parts to flash it correctly, but a FULL .138 system.img is in there :good:.
    Today I got one of the new Asus Trasformer Pad tablets. They just rev'd the line and this one is running Android 4.4.2 and has an Intel Bay Trail Z3745 processor.

This is a very new device: yesterday was the first day this variety of Intel processor was supposed to be available in a tablet, and I had this one on pre-order and it arrived today. Of course, I want to root it. ;)

If anyone knows how I would love it, or pointers to ideas. I rooted my prior Intel Android tablet (an HP Slate 7 1800 "mesquite") with the TwerkMyMoto hack from this thread:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2548742

which has been very helpful. (I find it quite limiting to do development on a non-rooted device, and what I'm working on doesn't run on an emulator). I am very much non-expert at rooting / recovery, and I'm not sure I would make any headway on my own. Depending how much of a limitation lack of root proves to be, if no one has better ideas then I may eventually just start trying things, and if I have any success, certainly I will post back here.

Cheers.