UPDATED 5-12-14 T-Mobile native wifi hotspot hack

Search This thread

PattyNYC

Sep 26, 2009
Queens
After reading through the G2 forums I found this and it also worked for the T-mobile G Flex.http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51213845&postcount=43 I couldn't get the other method posted here to work at all. All credit goes to xda member mrgodai. Follow the instructions in the link provided and a script will automatically change the value to 0 on boot. You will still need to change the user agent to something mobile or in my case Safari browser. This only allows you to go over your tethering limit. If you don't have unlimted data then this will only work until you reach your data cap.https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg?hl=en-USAlso make sure to edit your APN scroll down to the bottom where it says APN protocol: and make sure it is IPv4 not IPv6 and add "dun" to the line for APN type: default,supl,mms,dun
Outdated method below
Prerequisites
1. Rooted T-mobile G Flex
2. SQlite Editor app($2.99) probably a free alternative out there
3. Hotspot Widget from Google Play
Instructions
1. Open SQlite Editor look in - /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db then click global scroll down to field "tether_dun_required" edit the original value set 1 and change it to 0.
Note: Every time the phone reboots the original value defaults back to 1 so you will need to change the value back to 0 every time the phone reboots.
2. Only enable tether through the widget that you downloaded earlier. For some reason if you use the official t-mobile widget it won't work.
3. I don't have a working G Flex to test but you may have to use UA spoofer for chrome and set the browser to safari or something mobile.

Last edited:

bbobarino

Jun 27, 2011
pawtucket
Confirmed working on tmobile gflex i found this in g2 forum as well awesome . Only thing is u dont need the widget or at least i dont it works everytime right from the settings menu

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk

brezuno

Sep 28, 2010
sahuarita, az
So if done right you should have unlimited wifi tether? And i downloaded thw widget and once i activate the widegt it turns on mobile hotspot. That is tmobiles hotspot correct?

---------- Post added at 03:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:43 AM ----------

I only ask because i only have 2.5 gigs for hotspot. And if i did this hack correctly i should not have unlimited?

bbobarino

Jun 27, 2011
pawtucket
If u do this hack u will have unlimited unresricted native tethering u wont get blocked afyer the 2.5

PattyNYC

Sep 26, 2009
Queens
it goes through t-mobiles native hotpot app but some reason it crashes for me when I activate it through their official widget. That's why I use the one from the play store even though it opens up t-mobiles hotspot.

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
I did this hack when first posted and I have been re-doing after each boot. I have been monitoring the field setting "1" to a "0" to ensure it sticks and i like you said it does not stick after boot. Hence why I have been re-doing after each boot like instructed to in the OP. My issue is according to my T-Mobile account apk, that comes on the device, my hotspot tethering data has still increased from 2.3 g's to now 2.9 g's. It doesn't seem to be masking my use of the tethering. I'm using a hotspot widget toggle from the play store as instructed. I was under the impression that this would mask the use of tethering. Is this not correct or is this just to be able to use hotspot after the allotted amount that comes with which ever data plan you have?

Sent from my LG-D959 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

mattwheat

Oct 25, 2012
BIRMINGHAM
Prerequisites

Instructions
1. Open SQlite Editor look in - /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db then click global scroll down to field "tether_dun_required" edit the original value set 1 and change it to 0.
Note: Every time the phone reboots the original value defaults back to 1 so you will need to change the value back to 0 every time the phone reboots.
2. Only enable tether through the widget that you downloaded earlier. For some reason if you use the official t-mobile widget it won't work.
3. I don't have a working G Flex to test but you may have to use UA spoofer for chrome and set the browser to safari or something mobile.

Discovered this for my T-Mobile account apk to not see my data usage from hotspot ( in other words to mask using the hotspot) I had to go to my APN settings in your system settings/network and tethering/mobile networks/ access point names(APN) and create a new APN due to the unavailability to edit the stock one. I added new APN with everything set the same as the "T-Mobile LTE" apn that is set as default. Only changed is the "APN TYPE" add ",dun" to the end. So it should read as this

APN TYPE - default,mms,supl,dun

Make sure that you don't edit any other field and that the APN Protocol (just below APN TYPE) is set to IPV4.

Sent from my LG-D959 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

PattyNYC

Sep 26, 2009
Queens
I don't know. Went to mobile networks under settings and I've use 14 gbs of data under hotspot. Went to the t-mobile app and saw i reached the limit but that was before the hack was applied.

PattyNYC

Sep 26, 2009
Queens
Changed the APN anyway like you said just in case but like I said I used 14 gb of data under hotspots. If t-mobile knew you were over your limit wouldn't you get the upsell page?

Last edited:

justinswidebody

Jun 20, 2010
Does the T-Mobile g flex have an option to turn on hotspot in the settings? If so, someone please send me a deodexed lgsettings.apk. and a deodexed services.jar and I will hack this for everyone so you don't have to mess with editing anything anymore

Sent from my LG-LS995 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: kintwofan

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Does the T-Mobile g flex have an option to turn on hotspot in the settings? If so, someone please send me a deodexed lgsettings.apk. and a deodexed services.jar and I will hack this for everyone so you don't have to mess with editing anything anymore

It does. I've already done the mod to services.jar (if it's the changing -0x1 to 0x1), and
I didn't notice what's needed in

justinswidebody

Jun 20, 2010
The T-Mobile edit is different then Sprint. Please upload and I will fix it for you

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
Changed the APN anyway like you said just in case but like I said I used 14 gb of data under hotspots. If t-mobile knew you were over your limit wouldn't you get the upsell page?

It does. I've already done the mod to services.jar (if it's the changing -0x1 to 0x1), and default-apn. Configurations to fast. T-Mobile,
I didn't notice what's needed in sec settings. I actually was uploading it tomorrow as flashable (with flash Gordon app) when I get back to the office where my laptop is. If you let me know the settings changes need I can take care of it to save you some work or I'll gladly send you the deodexEd settings when I get in tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Meant secsettings, services and whatever else you need if you prefer

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

The T-Mobile edit is different then Sprint. Please upload and I will fix it for you

Sounds good. I'll upload the stock (untouched ) deodexed apps tomorrow for you. Do you mind pointing me to whats need for future reference though. I'm trying to learn LG, I've been with Samsung so long.

Last edited:

justinswidebody

Jun 20, 2010
It does. I've already done the mod to services.jar (if it's the changing -0x1 to 0x1), and default-apn. Configurations to fast. T-Mobile,
I didn't notice what's needed in sec settings. I actually was uploading it tomorrow as flashable (with flash Gordon app) when I get back to the office where my laptop is. If you let me know the settings changes need I can take care of it to save you some work or I'll gladly send you the deodexEd settings when I get in tomorrow.

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:01 AM ----------

Meant secsettings, services and whatever else you need if you prefer

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Sounds good. I'll upload the stock (untouched ) deodexed apps tomorrow for you. Do you mind pointing me to whats need for future reference though. I'm trying to learn LG, I've been with Samsung so long.

So the Sprint method does work? I have updated my thread because I have 3g tether working now. I was going to look and see if I could change the verification checks on the T-Mobile services, like what they do with at&t

kintwofan

Jul 1, 2011
Irmo, SC
OnePlus 7T
Sony Xperia 1 III
So the Sprint method does work? I have updated my thread because I have 3g tether working now. I was going to look and see if I could change the verification checks on the T-Mobile services, like what they do with at&t

I have a tethering plan so I don't know if tethering worked because the mod or my plan. The T-Mobile had the same lines in it as sprint... So combined with the apn changes usually needed on T-Mobile I assumed it should work. I was going to upload it so some without tethering could verify, but you seem to know what you're doing so I can just give you the unmodded versions and if you want my version as well. Whatever works for you.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    After reading through the G2 forums I found this and it also worked for the T-mobile G Flex.http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51213845&postcount=43 I couldn't get the other method posted here to work at all. All credit goes to xda member mrgodai. Follow the instructions in the link provided and a script will automatically change the value to 0 on boot. You will still need to change the user agent to something mobile or in my case Safari browser. This only allows you to go over your tethering limit. If you don't have unlimted data then this will only work until you reach your data cap.https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/user-agent-switcher-for-c/djflhoibgkdhkhhcedjiklpkjnoahfmg?hl=en-USAlso make sure to edit your APN scroll down to the bottom where it says APN protocol: and make sure it is IPv4 not IPv6 and add "dun" to the line for APN type: default,supl,mms,dun
    Outdated method below
    Prerequisites
    Instructions
    There is a very simple program that does it for you and won't screw anything up let me find it

---------- Post added at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 AM ----------

Sorry Justin. Just looked into re-odexing and i'm a litle too nervous to do it without a custom recovery available for a backup. I have no experience in re-odexing. I already screwed up and my G Flex once and it was a real pain to re-flash the stock kdz. I can test I just can't re-odex sorry

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2345767

If you want, you can even practice. I should have the test deodexed services done in about 10 min

---------- Post added at 01:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

Here you go. It's already renamed for that odexer tool so just put it in the the finish folder

https://www.dropbox.com/s/opnvzivmhiic1am/Deodexed_services.jar

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

Yeah i think i can manage it. thanks

Were you able to odex it back?

here you go. these are it

Thank you. Do you know how to deodex and odex? If so I will make this for you tonight to test if you want. I won't be able to odex back because it has to use your phone to do this. I don't have a T-Mobile flex so it will cause boot loop

here you go. these are it
    do you know if this method works for sprint variant LS995

Try this one http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2647656

Sent from my LG-D950 using Tapatalk