[Q] Camera Module Question

Search This thread

texasniteowl

Jul 8, 2013
DFW
Hey all...I know that based on my phone (i337), you would expect me to post in the AT&T forum...however since it is an i9505 variant and since most of the references I've found to the camera modules goes by i9500 or i9505, I decided to ask here.

Basically, my main/rear camera has developed some spots in it. I don't see any chips in the lens. I've cleaned it. I've tried compressed air into the phone. Can't shake them. Assume it to be debris on the sensor or some such.

I was going to do a warranty exchange, but it was pointed out to me that the camera module is only like $20 and is easy to replace. And that way I get to keep my phone which has nothing else wrong with it and which is still on 4.2.2 and AT&T baseband MDL. None of this effed up KitKat stuff, etc.

So, I started looking on ebay for the camera module and one of the listings had a warning that the i9500 and i9505 do *NOT* use the same module. So I did search here and found a thread that was last active about 8 months ago that essentially confirmed that the i9500 is Exmor Rs and the i9505 is Exmor R. What I didn't see in that thread (admittedly skimming) was whether or not the 2 are interchangeable, though from the sound of one or 2 posts, I'm leaning towards not.

So Q1: can you use either module or will there really be a problem using an i9500 module in the i9505/i337?

If the answer is that the 2 are not interchangeable, then I have to avoid quite a few ebay listings that list both the i9500 and i9505 as compatible.

Then Q2 becomes: has anyone ordered parts from phonelcdwholesale, hytparts, or etradesupply? Each of them has separate listings for the camera modules for i9500/9505.

Thanks for any input.

texasniteowl

Jul 8, 2013
DFW
bump....anyone? Are the 2 definitely different cameras? What happens if you end up with an i9500 camera in an i9505/i337?

XxLordxX

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jul 11, 2011
Campinas
Hi,

I'm not sure, but if the cameras are different I wouldn't risk putting an i9500 camera in a i9505 device. The best would be finding and getting the i9505 camera and changing it. I never had issues with mine, so I can't really tell, it's just an idea that popped while reading your thread. I believe that if you end with an i9500 camera in an i9505 device it probably just won't load, because you may not have the modules and libs for the sensor ;). Again, this is just an idea, I've never done something like that before on my device.

~Lord

texasniteowl

Jul 8, 2013
DFW
Hi,

I'm not sure, but if the cameras are different I wouldn't risk putting an i9500 camera in a i9505 device. The best would be finding and getting the i9505 camera and changing it. I never had issues with mine, so I can't really tell, it's just an idea that popped while reading your thread. I believe that if you end with an i9500 camera in an i9505 device it probably just won't load, because you may not have the modules and libs for the sensor ;). Again, this is just an idea, I've never done something like that before on my device.

~Lord

Thank you for responding. It's just weird that if the cameras are different that so many listings (granted, ebay) list both models as compatible with whatever camera they are stocking.

I did find some listings that list only the i9505/i337 and not the i9500, so I will have to make sure to order from one of those sellers.

Thanks.

rpapotter

Oct 27, 2016
A store sold me the camera module that was compatible for both the i9500 and i9505. However this turns out not to be the case. The i9500 camera does not work on my i9505. I have updated the firmware and did all the other methods for fixing the camera. Does anyone know if it is possible to install the i9500 camera firmware on my i9505? To me that would seem a possible solution.