Is the QWERTY worth it?

Search This thread

DNak206

Dec 3, 2008
Recovering flashaholic, recently went back to original Galaxy Nexus so I could avoid renewing with Verizon, on an old grandfathered (true unlimited) plan.

Missing a QWERTY and looking at picking up a used Droid 4. What are your thoughts, is the radio stable for tethering?

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
Recovering flashaholic, recently went back to original Galaxy Nexus so I could avoid renewing with Verizon, on an old grandfathered (true unlimited) plan.

Missing a QWERTY and looking at picking up a used Droid 4. What are your thoughts, is the radio stable for tethering?

If you miss a qwerty you'll love the D4. Keyboard is great and CM11 has made me fall in love with my phone all over again. The only thing to really complain about is battery life. When I'm home on wifi I can make it through a day. Otherwise plan on charging it at least once during the day. Unless you pick up the extended battery that FINALLY came out about a month or so ago. Tethering has worked fine for me the few times I've used it.

Droid 4 - CM11

ricpdjrr

Feb 8, 2010
I just bought a used d-4 to replace my old d-4 mainly because i wore some of the keys off after 2.5 yrs. I could have used my upgrade for a fancy new device but I am sticking with the d-4 . Of course 2 weeks after I purchased it, the promise of a d-5 came out. But who knows how long we will really be waiting for the d-5. / extended battery??????? Whaaaaaat... I will have to check that out. My batt does last a full day with medium use.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

kwyrt

Apr 25, 2011
Columbus
I just bought a used d-4 to replace my old d-4 mainly because i wore some of the keys off after 2.5 yrs. I could have used my upgrade for a fancy new device but I am sticking with the d-4 . Of course 2 weeks after I purchased it, the promise of a d-5 came out. But who knows how long we will really be waiting for the d-5. / extended battery??????? Whaaaaaat... I will have to check that out. My batt does last a full day with medium use.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

I think the biggest reason my battery doesn't normally last a day is because I have such a crappy data connection at work. Always switching between 2 bars of 3G or 1 bar of 4G. See the thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541577 for more info and links regarding the extended battery.

DNak206

Dec 3, 2008
I think the biggest reason my battery doesn't normally last a day is because I have such a crappy data connection at work. Always switching between 2 bars of 3G or 1 bar of 4G. See the thread here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2541577 for more info and links regarding the extended battery.

Good info, thank you both! I'm assuming rooting and all that is simple enough, I would probably root and stick with STOCK unless CM11 is really worthwhile. Any major bugs/flaws w/ this guy?

xantanion

Aug 19, 2012
Tacoma
I've been running stargos cm11 since release and honestly it is almost flawless. He has been constantly updating and fixing wakelocks, along with other minor issues. Stock is.... well I was happy to get rid of all the bloatware crap and have my phone run faster. As for rooting and such, extremely easy.

Sent from my XT894 using xda app-developers app

Sleepybear84

Dec 17, 2013
I LOVE QWERTY Phones. I bought a used Droid 4 recently because the keys were falling off my old droid 2 and I didn't want to lose my unlimited data plan with Verizon. I have been going between Stock/CM11 and now SlimKat using SafeStrap so you can essentially dual boot your phone and keep the Stock rom there to always load as a failsafe.

I had waited 3-4 months for the possibility of a droid 5, and then almost went for the new Nexus 5 phone but of course Google had to release it for every carrier EXCEPT Verizon. Lame.

Jishkah

Jul 11, 2013
My phone MUST have a QWERTY keyboard. Likewise, I probably won't upgrade for another several years, since QWERTY phones seem to be dead, nowadays. I'm sticking with my Droid 4 until the community gives up on it, or it explodes.

I absolutely believe that it's worth it. I can type with the same speed and precision as I can on a regular computer keyboard, and I prefer that over relying on auto-correct, auto-fill, word prediction, or many of the other replacements for letter-by-letter typing. How I type on a computer - syntax, spelling, lack of shorthand - is how I type on a phone, and I'd prefer to keep it that way. I'm of the mindset that phone manufacturers have sacrificed the keyboard for a slimmer phone, and come out with virtual keyboards that try to emulate what was already there in the past.

EDIT: I would like to point out that the custom ROMs aren't perfect. They can be used as daily drivers, but MMS is a hit-or-miss (working on some uptimes, and not working on other uptimes), GPS works at random, and you'll experience the Sleep of Death more than a few times. Typically, if you have Touch Sounds enabled on your phone, and you suddenly hear the sound "die", you do NOT want to turn off the phone's screen or do anything involving media playback - if you do, you won't be able to turn it back on without doing a hard reset. Just reset until the sound works, again - of course, then you'll need to make sure that MMS works with that specific reboot. A good way to test that would be to send an MMS to somebody; if it sends, it works. If not, you'll need to reset the phone until it does, keeping in mind the (common) sound bug, as well. GPS is the same; if it works on a specific uptime, it'll work for the duration of that uptime.

If you're willing to put up with these three rather annoying bugs, the features of the custom ROMs more than make up for it. I'd choose CyanogenMod over Stock any day of the week.

Last edited: