Newbie needs your help.

Search This thread

markslo112

Apr 27, 2010
Ljubljana
I've been wanting to have Android 4.4.2 on my Note 3 N9005 for a long time and my Carrier still hasn't released official 4.4 update. I've had enough waiting and want to root and install a custom 4.4 rom on my Note 3 N9005(international). Would anyone be so kind to give me detailed information on how to do so, or at least point me in the right direction. I've also got a few questions.

1. Is there any way to leave Knox not tripped?
2. Is there any way to downgrade from a custom ROM to my official 4.3 rom if I'll need my garrancy?

Thanks in advance! :fingers-crossed:

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
I've been wanting to have Android 4.4.2 on my Note 3 N9005 for a long time and my Carrier still hasn't released official 4.4 update. I've had enough waiting and want to root and install a custom 4.4 rom on my Note 3 N9005(international). Would anyone be so kind to give me detailed information on how to do so, or at least point me in the right direction. I've also got a few questions.

1. Is there any way to leave Knox not tripped?
2. Is there any way to downgrade from a custom ROM to my official 4.3 rom if I'll need my garrancy?

Thanks in advance! :fingers-crossed:

On N9005 there is no way back. Knowing that you must really analyze the benefits vs losses/risks. Which for instance for me at this point do not justify the move (but I am rooted and I already have 99% of what 4.4 brings).

markslo112

Apr 27, 2010
Ljubljana
On N9005 there is no way back. Knowing that you must really analyze the benefits vs losses/risks. Which for instance for me at this point do not justify the move (but I am rooted and I already have 99% of what 4.4 brings).

Are you suggesting that I should stay on my stock ROM and wait for 4.4? I've read things about 4.4 and a lot of people say it's a lot better than 4.3, faster, etc. I'm really tired of waiting, my carrier sucks.

nlatifolia

Jan 6, 2014
If you just want to have 4.4.2 and stay official, pick one of any released official 4.4.2 firmwares available to flash.

markslo112

Apr 27, 2010
Ljubljana
If you just want to have 4.4.2 and stay official, pick one of any released official 4.4.2 firmwares available to flash.

Alright, but do I need to be rooted or do I need to have a custom recovery before flashing via Odin? Will flashing an official ROM trigger Knox to 0x1 or will it leave it unchanged because I don't want my garrancy void?

ione2380

Oct 13, 2009
Brasov
@markslo112 you don't need nothing but your phone, usb cable and pc to flash with odin. Flashing an offcial rom will NOT trigger Knox!

Sent from Note 3 Superphone!

markslo112

Apr 27, 2010
Ljubljana
@markslo112 you don't need nothing but your phone, usb cable and pc to flash with odin. Flashing an offcial rom will NOT trigger Knox!

Sent from Note 3 Superphone!

Ok that's good to hear. If I flash 4.4, will I still be able to install a custom recovery and then a custom Rom? I'm just asking because if I get tired of stock 4.4. Also, is it safe to flash via Odin? I don't want my phone to get bootloops or anything.
Thanks!

nlatifolia

Jan 6, 2014
I think before you do anything to your phone for the good of yourself you better stop posting and do more reading instead in this forum. You will confuse yourself by asking more and seems not knowing what you are asking about.

hey_joe

Oct 28, 2010
Ok that's good to hear. If I flash 4.4, will I still be able to install a custom recovery and then a custom Rom? I'm just asking because if I get tired of stock 4.4. Also, is it safe to flash via Odin? I don't want my phone to get bootloops or anything.
Thanks!

You will be able to install custom recovery/rom but it will trip your knox.

It is safe but do some reading maybe even watching a video or two on youtube to familiarize yourself on which files goes to which slot. Also, you won't be able to roll back to 4.3 at this time once you go to 4.4.

markslo112

Apr 27, 2010
Ljubljana
I think before you do anything to your phone for the good of yourself you better stop posting and do more reading instead in this forum. You will confuse yourself by asking more and seems not knowing what you are asking about.

Well I've actually rooted and installed custom ROMS on almost every other phone I had, but the Note 3 is far the best mobile I've had and I really don't want to screw anything up. I do have experience with Odin, but I've never had any experience with Knox as no other phones had it. But I will go ahead and read stuff up.

Thanks to everyone that helped though! :fingers-crossed:

markslo112

Apr 27, 2010
Ljubljana
UPDATE:

Alright, so I tried flashing an official 4.4.2 firmware for my region onto my Note 3 with 4.3 via Odin 3.09. It started perfectly, but then gave me an error which said "invalid ext4 image". After a long search I did manage to find a PIT file for my phone. I then tried flashing again, but this time with the PIT file that I downloaded. It flashed fine, had to factory reset and wipe cache also. :victory: