HTC TITAN - An Insight

Search This thread

rdy2go

Apr 30, 2007
Warsaw
My first week with Titan:

Pros:
* excellent GPS - very fast and accurate
* good screen - color reproduction (not as good as AMOLED, but very good as LCD)
* very fast and responsive overall

Cons:
* 50% calls - other party cannot hear me (!!!) despite maximum coverage etc. ---> people are laughing at me because of that terrible bug
* dropped calls
* terrible battery life 12-16 hours with moderate use from 100% to 20%
* poor quality, slow camera
* stupid power button at the top!!!

Result:
trying to return it to the seller today

BEWARE! I was happy user until I noticed first, second, 3rd, 4th... call when other party could not hear me. What a bug...

I don't call neither receive calls too often so overall it's a good mini-tablet with internet connectivity, but not a phone to make and receive voice calls

pdangcil

Jan 15, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
My first week with Titan:

Pros:
* excellent GPS - very fast and accurate
* good screen - color reproduction (not as good as AMOLED, but very good as LCD)
* very fast and responsive overall

Cons:
* 50% calls - other party cannot hear me (!!!) despite maximum coverage etc. ---> people are laughing at me because of that terrible bug
* dropped calls
* terrible battery life 12-16 hours with moderate use from 100% to 20%
* poor quality, slow camera
* stupid power button at the top!!!

Result:
trying to return it to the seller today

BEWARE! I was happy user until I noticed first, second, 3rd, 4th... call when other party could not hear me. What a bug...

I don't call neither receive calls too often so overall it's a good mini-tablet with internet connectivity, but not a phone to make and receive voice calls

Wow!!! You're review is soooo much different than what others have been saying. Dropped calls? I hope this is not the case with AT&T when it comes out next week. Otherwise, I would be forced to wait for the Nokia Ace as the Samsung Focus S is tooooo underwhelming! And by that, I mean that the phone is piece of plastic junk!

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Also, can anyone with the Titan please verify that there is no "ghosting" when scrolling fast on the app screen. This was very apparent on the HD7/s and I would hate for the Titan to have the same issue. I am really looking forward to this phone even without s-AMOLED!

rdy2go

Apr 30, 2007
Warsaw
Wow!!! You're review is soooo much different than what others have been saying. Dropped calls? I hope this is not the case with AT&T when it comes out next week. Otherwise, I would be forced to wait for the Nokia Ace as the Samsung Focus S is tooooo underwhelming! And by that, I mean that the phone is piece of plastic junk!

---------- Post added at 03:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:48 PM ----------

Also, can anyone with the Titan please verify that there is no "ghosting" when scrolling fast on the app screen. This was very apparent on the HD7/s and I would hate for the Titan to have the same issue. I am really looking forward to this phone even without s-AMOLED!

It's not just me, see posts in "grip of death" thread. At least one other user experiences similar problems.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium

BTW: returned the device, good bye and good luck!

Last edited:

XATAGuy

Jan 31, 2009
Knoxville
I hope this is not the case with AT&T when it comes out next week.

Is this official? I would have thought that we would have seen a Skype app, or the rumored Tango video chat software prior to the Titan being sold by AT&T. I hope that you are correct because I am very anxious to get my hands on one of these, but if the Titan shows up next week at AT&T, it will represent an AT&T device with a FFC which doesn't do anything?

Please tell us your source?

Thanks,
Dave

daveb673

Aug 1, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Guys and Gals,

Great news !!

I have finally received my brand spanking new TITAN...

And I have been surprised already with the great increase in build quality of HTC, and not to forget that they have done wonders with that camera.

A couple of things they don't mention in the specs:

b. Noise cancellation in phone calls, absolutely splendid call quality.

c. Despite HTC saying that Internet sharing was added by Microsoft too late, it is their in the settings and works very well :cool:

d. a SIM Toolkit app in settings to use with network provider SIM service options !

e. Samsung flash memory is used rather than a microsd card for the 16gb internal memory

Good things to know. Thanks! Does this mean we could not up the internal memory? Not sure I can live w/only 16GB. (says the guy who can't even fill a 2GB sd card on his Tilt :rolleyes: ).

Just out of interesting, how much did you guys pay for it if you dont mind me asking? And do you think it is worth the price being asked? Having had a 3 minute play with one, it is gorgeous, but surely way overpriced.

Haven't seen it yet, but am wondering the same thing.

I see MS has created a sync app for WP7 and Mac's OSX, which was one reason I wasn't looking at WP7. http://www.microsoft.com/windowsphone/en-us/apps/mac-connector.aspx I see this as MS working to help push WP7 into the market more.
I am curious about the Titan as I tend to use my phone as a GPS (tough with a 2.8" screen), and I use Macs. I'm really wondering if this is the phone for me. Wifee has an iphone. Wish the Titan had a slider, but with a 4.7 screen I can probably get by without for note taking.

bennyj71

Feb 23, 2008
New Orleans
Settings

I ordered my Att Titan today. I was a Samsung Focus owner. The Focus had a Diagnostic app, which I needed to tweak my reception and browser speed. Att disable those features. Does the Titan come with a similar app or have a way to tweak those settings.

MaziarAmiri

Apr 11, 2009
After working with WP7 on Radar,I'm selling my iPhone 4 to get Titan.I just hope I won't be disappointed by the screen and the battery life,because they're my main concern

Shahpur.Azizpour

Mar 13, 2008
Hi guys,

i have also just released a review about the HTC Titan. Hope you'll like it:

http://smartphoneblogging.com/2011/11/review-htc-titan-mango-windows-phone-4-7-inch-display/

The biggest flaw in my opinion is the resolution (which is not HTCs fault) and the fact that the windows phone marketplace needs to do some more homework.

Other than that the HTC Titan convinced me that a 4.7 inch screen is not too big, and you get used to it pretty fast. It's great for media consumption, reading and so on.

zard

Jul 19, 2005
After using the Samsung Galaxy Note for 2 weeks, I'm so happy with the 5.3" (1" bigger than my HD7), I hope HTC will have a phone of around 5.3" in the near future. Thanks to HTC for not bringing the Titan to Singapore, I got the chance to experience Android and 5.3" Note.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

mike21pr

May 16, 2008
San Juan
After two days with my AT&T Titan (ps. yaaaay 4GB data plan, otherwise i wouldnt have considered AT&T)

1. I thought i was gonna be bothered by the resolution, but it doesnt bother me at all. everything looks great and crisp. only thing i noticed is very little blur on text.

2. Im soooo thrilled by the apps. i thought a lot of the jerky apps on my old TmO HD7 was lack of optimization, but seems like hardware had a lot to do with it because everything is as smooth as the rest of the OS. Facebook app, IMDB, and all apps that lag mostly on the panoramic hub now run flawlessly

3. I immediatly noticed the increase in GPU power just by watching my xbox live avatar. its like when you see a 120/240hz motionflow TV for the first time, it just pops out at u.

4. battery life is great IMO i survive all day with 50% left still

5. Build quality is phenominal (had a Vibrant before this lol) I was thinking of getting the focus s at first because of the screen but immediatly dismissed it when i held the titan

All in all. I love the Titan, feels like no corners were cut (big and high quality screen, awesome camera with flash, FFC, unibody design) while making the most out of Microsofts spec requirements (8mp cam with dual flash, 1.5ghz clock speed, nand memory instead of sd card etc.) Its bar none the Windows Phone to get of this generation

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Last edited:

Tempest790

Jun 30, 2007
New Orleans
Very much agree. This is the phone to beat. I'm really interested what Nokia will come up with to raise the bar.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

AN8663

Dec 17, 2011
I would also like to know this

Sent from my htc titan using XDA Windows Phone 7 App

Got my Titan 4 days ago, coming up from the awesome HD2 (WP 7.5 - thanks to Yuki). The phone is fantastic, no lag, no ghosting, quick and responsive. Multi tasking is not a problem. Colours are rich and deep. The browser is excellent with rapid build up even on picture heavy sites. A Tango app is available on the HTC hub. Tried it with my son (IPAD 2), perfect sound and video. I was undecided about buying this phone after reading the mixed reviews on this website, but then I thought I'd give it a try (been a HTC user for 6 years now) and I'm not regretting it. I thinks its like cars or women, it's just a matter of taste and experience:rolleyes:

The Titan may not have a dual core but it does all that I want it to do and that with ease. Texting and emails are almost as quick and easy as on a desktop. Loading apps out of the market is uncomplicted and quick. I updated to 7740 via Zune in just under 5 min. Surfing, Facebook a doddle and (on the side) I can call people on it.

For those that are still unsure, my advice, get one. The phone has a quality feel about it that the Galaxy S2 just doesn't have. WP 7 is a much better OS as Android or iOS (my opinion) as it is uncluttered and can be setup as one wishes.

BreonMG

Jul 19, 2011
Ramstein, DE
Man I REALLY need to stop reading these glowing reviews...I love my Lumia 800 and Nexus but I'm thinking about unloading my Nexus for it. Android shine is wearing thin for me.

dpetro

Feb 12, 2009
How transfer contacts from hd2 to titan ?

Guys and Gals,

Great news !!

I have finally received my brand spanking new TITAN...

And I have been surprised already with the great increase in build quality of HTC, and not to forget that they have done wonders with that camera.

A couple of things they don't mention in the specs:

a. It now records in 720p with Stereo sound:)

b. Noise cancellation in phone calls, absolutely splendid call quality.

c. Despite HTC saying that Internet sharing was added by Microsoft too late, it is their in the settings and works very well :cool:

d. a SIM Toolkit app in settings to use with network provider SIM service options !

e. Samsung flash memory is used rather than a microsd card for the 16gb internal memory

f. WP Bench results

CPU
TIME : 15407ms
SEQ 4.86`'5 L/s
PAR 5.55 `'5 L/s

DATA
TIME : 17549ms
BLOCK 5MB
MEM 22.02 MB/s
STOR 10.54 MB/s

GPU
1224 FRAMES AVG : 40 F/s

For once I am actually genuinely happy with what HTC have produced

Any other info anybody would like let me know....
----------------
Dear
Please help me to transfer contacts from HD2 [WM6.5] TO TITAN WP7.5
Many thanks

----------------
Dear
Please help me to transfer contacts from HD2 [WM6.5] TO TITAN WP7.5
Many thanks

If in fact you're using Windows Mobile 6.5 simply transfer your phone contacts to your sim card; once in your Titan, open up the People Hub go to settings and import them in that way. If you have a Facebook account; once you sign into it from the Titan's settings they will automatically import. If you set up Windows Live it too can backup your contacts once you're in the Titan but be careful, from time to time it won't play nice and you can multiple contacts of the same name.

Top Liked Posts