[Q] Permission denied on downgrade from hboot 0.98

Search This thread

randomdeanna

Jun 12, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
(edited to add another question)
So, my next questions would be...

1. Can I use HTCdev to unlock the bootloader, and flash CWM? I've found some guides to this effect (here's one), but I have questions. Mostly, the errors some people run into are from not flashing a boot.img, but I'm not sure how to create that.

2. Once I do flash CWM, can I then flash the downgrade image included in the original attn1 thread (RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip), and then resume the rest of the rooting process without S-OFF?

3. If, God help me, the charging port on this device craps out on me too, like the other 2 I had, am I screwed as far as sending back an unlocked bootloader via HTCdev, or will #2 above get me out of it when I reverse that process and restore it to stock? (In other words, will #2 replace my bootloader, and allow me to re-replace it later if I have to?)
--
Update: 4. And another thing... I've still got the old (rooted) DINC2 device; can I just make a backup with CWM, flash CWM via unlocked bootloader, and then flash the backup onto the new device?

Last edited:

PalmerCurling

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
So, my next questions would be...

1. Can I use HTCdev to unlock the bootloader, and flash CWM? I've found some guides to this effect (here's one), but I have questions. Mostly, the errors some people run into are from not flashing a boot.img, but I'm not sure how to create that.

2. Once I do flash CWM, can I then flash the downgrade image included in the original attn1 thread (RUU_Vivo_W_Gingerbread_S_VERIZON_WWE_2.18.605.3_Radio_1.09.01.0622_NV_VZW1.92_release_199487_signed.zip), and then resume the rest of the rooting process without S-OFF?

3. If, God help me, the charging port on this device craps out on me too, like the other 2 I had, am I screwed as far as sending back an unlocked bootloader via HTCdev, or will #2 above get me out of it when I reverse that process and restore it to stock? (In other words, will #2 replace my bootloader, and allow me to re-replace it later if I have to?)

I was wondering the exact same thing actually.

fsiddique

Jun 29, 2010
I am thinking the same. But after doing the HTC Bootloader Unlock, flashing the downgrade image will fail until you do the step where you reset the mainversion (the misc file issue where we are all getting permission denied), it will fail main version check.

With the HTC Rezound using the HTC unlock, in order to flash signed RUUs, you had to relock the bootloader then flash, at which point the hboot actually went from LOCKED to RELOCKED so there was proof that the bootloader was unlocked at some point. I'm hoping that when you flash the downgrade image, it will reset the hboot status to LOCKED and not stay at RELOCKED.

PalmerCurling

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
I am thinking the same. But after doing the HTC Bootloader Unlock, flashing the downgrade image will fail until you do the step where you reset the mainversion (the misc file issue where we are all getting permission denied), it will fail main version check.

With the HTC Rezound using the HTC unlock, in order to flash signed RUUs, you had to relock the bootloader then flash, at which point the hboot actually went from LOCKED to RELOCKED so there was proof that the bootloader was unlocked at some point. I'm hoping that when you flash the downgrade image, it will reset the hboot status to LOCKED and not stay at RELOCKED.

Would you be able to test that for.us and report back? If that's a viable path I'm willing to write a step by step guide, but I won't risk my hardware warranty for it.

fsiddique

Jun 29, 2010
What software version do you guys have? Mine says 6.01.605.05.

Isn't the latest OTA 5.10.605.9?

Is this why the zergRush exploit is no longer working, we have a later software version that the OTA where the exploit was patched?

randomdeanna

Jun 12, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
In the research I've done so far, the HTCdev bootloader unlock + CWM works for flashing roms, but not for flashing radios and doing more extensive customization. I don't have enough privileges here to post an outside link, but if you google "latest OTA for incredible 2" an androidforums post called "Cannot downgrade Incredible 2 after 1-10-12 OTA?" comes up. The #3 post in that thread explains it...

fsiddique

Jun 29, 2010
I think we are running later software than the OTA, if you see here http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/incredible2.pdf

The latest OTA was 5.10.605.9...

Could our phones possibly have the OTA that was rumored in that update leak a few weeks ago (where the update was rumored to be 32GB large or something)?

We also have newer radios, my baseband is 20.32W.30.0813U_1.09.01.0312, where the latest official OTA has baseband 20.32W.30.0813U_1.09.01.1111

Very interesting...

faehsemc

Jun 25, 2011
Titusville
I think we are running later software than the OTA, if you see here http://support.verizonwireless.com/pdf/system_update/incredible2.pdf

Could our phones possibly have the OTA that was rumored in that update leak a few weeks ago (where the update was rumored to be 32GB large or something)?

We also have newer radios, my baseband is 20.32W.30.0813U_1.09.01.0312, where the latest official OTA has baseband 20.32W.30.0813U_1.09.01.1111

Very interesting...

Think it was a typo.. think its 32 megs, not gigs

Sent from my Incredible 2 using Tapatalk 2

sk842018

May 29, 2010
indiana
I got a refurbished inc2 bout 3/4 weeks back. It took me few hours and 2 comp to downgrade.
I just kept getting the error and after a long while it just finally went through. Sry but I don't remember my phone info. It seems to be widely spreading not being able to downgrade. Hopefully there be a 2.3.4 root exploit very.soon

Aldo101t

Mar 9, 2012
Pittsburgh
HTC U11
Google Pixel 7 Pro
downgrading

i had the same problem. i relocked my bootloader, but when you do this it gives a security warning, and locks at bootloader, so what i did was put the RUU
(and this has to be the latest 2.3.4)on a different sdcard,(PG32IMG)THEN pulled battery changed sd cards, and then put battery in booted the bootloader then it picks up the img file and should install the pg32img. then you can run the downgrade tool to get .97 hboot and go from there to root with revolutionary, it worked for me

mcsplatt

Aug 16, 2011

Very interesting...

The man has a point. Makes sense. I've been at it for 3 days since getting my replacement. I also have the 6.whatever software. Looks like we're gonna hafta wait.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Aldo101t

Mar 9, 2012
Pittsburgh
HTC U11
Google Pixel 7 Pro
RUU

You can get the latest ota from jellybellies or condemned soul, thats where i got

I THINK THE SOFTWARE NUMBER ENDS WITH A 9 (THE LATEST ONE) CAN'T REMEMBER THE WHOLE NUMBER

---------- Post added at 05:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:27 AM ----------

BOY am i dumb its in the 2nd post back

Last edited:

randomdeanna

Jun 12, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
i had the same problem. i relocked my bootloader, but when you do this it gives a security warning, and locks at bootloader, so what i did was put the RUU
(and this has to be the latest 2.3.4)on a different sdcard,(PG32IMG)THEN pulled battery changed sd cards, and then put battery in booted the bootloader then it picks up the img file and should install the pg32img. then you can run the downgrade tool to get .97 hboot and go from there to root with revolutionary, it worked for me

You don't have a link to download the earlier 2.3.4 version, do you?

mcsplatt

Aug 16, 2011

I'll try this after work today.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2