Hangouts Can't Reach Google

Search This thread

isutommyt

Jul 23, 2011
Greetings... I just ODINed back to stock, took the OTAs, ODINed CWM, and then flashed Tweaked Lite 1.0. So far it's awesome. Only issue is with Hangouts. I'm getting:

Couldn't sign in because we couldn't reach Google. Try again.

I've tried restarting, just waiting (multiple days), updating Hangouts, clearing data in Settings->Manage Applications, wiping cache from CWM and nothing seems to be working.

Any suggestions?

jdawg334

Sep 22, 2012
Daleville AL
Greetings... I just ODINed back to stock, took the OTAs, ODINed CWM, and then flashed Tweaked Lite 1.0. So far it's awesome. Only issue is with Hangouts. I'm getting:

Couldn't sign in because we couldn't reach Google. Try again.

I've tried restarting, just waiting (multiple days), updating Hangouts, clearing data in Settings->Manage Applications, wiping cache from CWM and nothing seems to be working.

Any suggestions?

I had this issue and did this and it fixed it for me...

Clear updates and data from Google Hangouts and Google Play Services.
Delete Google Play Services using Root Explorer.
Reboot.
Try to open Hangouts and it will prompt you that you need Google Play Services.
Download and everything should then work ok.

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
Yeah this happens from time to time, still not sure on the reason or rhyme (#drseuss). Doing things similar to what jdawg334 outlined has helped me as well.

isutommyt

Jul 23, 2011
I finally got it to work. I couldn't get Root Explorer to delete Google Play Services successfully but with all the deleting of caches, updates, and force stopping services it finally was able to log in. Thanks for the help! Loving tweaked lite.

mike2nl

Jul 24, 2009
Near Utrecht
the tip is gold worth for my SGT7 3G in fixing time calculation ;).

Found more info here LINK, and here the step by step description:

• uninstall updates for Google Play services
  • tried to open Hangouts which prompted me to update Google Play services
  • updated Google Play services
  • ran Hangouts
  • Works!
So thanks to PalaNIN on reddit.com.

Reactions: dwitherell

zereoue

Nov 9, 2013
Can't access internet

I was able to get past the Hangouts problem, but I can't seem to access the internet after flashing Tweaked Lite. I can access the Play store, d/l apps and updated installed ones, send and receive e-mails, etc., but if I open the default browser or Dolphin browser, I can't connect to the internet. I was given this Charge from a friend, and want to use it as a wifi device only. It was already updated to FP8 when I received it, so I rooted it, installed CMW, wiped data/factory reset, then just flashed the ROM. I didn't Odin back to any previous build, just went with the OTA already loaded on the phone. The internet seems to be the only thing not working.

*Edit*

Guess I didn't get past the Hangouts problem. I uninstalled the updates to Google Play Services, then reinstalled the update, but still get the message "Couldn't sign in because we couldn't reach Google. Try again."

Last edited:

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
I was able to get past the Hangouts problem, but I can't seem to access the internet after flashing Tweaked Lite. I can access the Play store, d/l apps and updated installed ones, send and receive e-mails, etc., but if I open the default browser or Dolphin browser, I can't connect to the internet. I was given this Charge from a friend, and want to use it as a wifi device only. It was already updated to FP8 when I received it, so I rooted it, installed CMW, wiped data/factory reset, then just flashed the ROM. I didn't Odin back to any previous build, just went with the OTA already loaded on the phone. The internet seems to be the only thing not working.

*Edit*

Guess I didn't get past the Hangouts problem. I uninstalled the updates to Google Play Services, then reinstalled the update, but still get the message "Couldn't sign in because we couldn't reach Google. Try again."

Yeah the hangouts thing is obnoxious - I went back to stock a few times to see if I made the issue but I couldn't get it to work there either. Not sure why the browser is acting up though - haven't seen that myself... not sure what would be causing that issue unfortunately.

Reactions: zereoue

zereoue

Nov 9, 2013
Yeah the hangouts thing is obnoxious - I went back to stock a few times to see if I made the issue but I couldn't get it to work there either. Not sure why the browser is acting up though - haven't seen that myself... not sure what would be causing that issue unfortunately.

I can't figure it out - not being able to browse the internet. It has worked once or twice, but I have no idea what changes to allow it. I restored a backup back to stock to check if I could browse then, and I could. I then reflashed TLite, but still had the same problem. I just restored the backup back to stock and I'll leave it there for now. I use the phone for wifi and a couple apps, so it should be fine for now. At some point I probably should try Odining back to a previous version, installing the OTAs, then flashing TLite. Would I want to repartition when going back to EP4D?

dwitherell

Retired Forum Moderator
May 2, 2011
I can't figure it out - not being able to browse the internet. It has worked once or twice, but I have no idea what changes to allow it. I restored a backup back to stock to check if I could browse then, and I could. I then reflashed TLite, but still had the same problem. I just restored the backup back to stock and I'll leave it there for now. I use the phone for wifi and a couple apps, so it should be fine for now. At some point I probably should try Odining back to a previous version, installing the OTAs, then flashing TLite. Would I want to repartition when going back to EP4D?

Wouldn't be a bad idea. Your usage matches my own (no sim card even), and I have yet to encounter any sort of browsing issues at all.

jco23

Nov 17, 2011

same deal here. it worked once. my theory is that it might have to do with Google Play Services. I'm thinking the Lite version blocks something or left a key file out.

found this: https://support.google.com/googleplay/answer/1647495?hl=en

and this: http://forums.androidcentral.com/go...ogle-hangouts-cant-sign-updated-solution.html

Last edited:

poffsoft

Feb 21, 2012
another hint

My situation was the same, google play services uninstall,reinstall doesn't help the login issue.
But at least : cleared hangouts data and google play services data, then on my PC I've log in to my gmail account and at the bottom left corner i've enabled "the new kind chat" (means Hangouts instead Talk) and then the hangouts on my phone immediately logged in to my account...

interesting...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    the tip is gold worth for my SGT7 3G in fixing time calculation ;).

Found more info here LINK, and here the step by step description:

• uninstall updates for Google Play services
    • tried to open Hangouts which prompted me to update Google Play services
    • updated Google Play services
    • ran Hangouts
    • Works!
    So thanks to PalaNIN on reddit.com.

*Edit*