[Q] Kernels and Firmware and all that?

Search This thread

Polarbert

May 20, 2012
Hey up chaps,

I've been on the site for a while and really enjoy the contribution that all the developers and everyone makes. I've mostly read stuff and never really bothered to make any threads or anything, as everything on here is self explanatory.

Anyway, I was just wanting a bit of clarification really. I've read the threads about flashing a new firmware, and the stuff about kernels, but I still have a bit of an issue understanding it all, and how it would affect me.

My understanding is that the firmware controls all the basics of the phone, like touchscreen, microphone, speakers, radio and all that stuff. And a kernel controls the way in which it works. Is that right?

I got my HTC One last August, and then unlocked it and rooted it, and then I put the Viper Rom on it, I think it was last updated to 4.3 Android OTA, the phone is an unlocked european (international) model.

I've often contemplated making the phone S-Off as I believe that gives a few benefits. Would I need to do that to put the latest firmware on it?

Would the latest firmware available on this forum make much difference to my phone? I don't have any concerns with it at the moment, but I'm always pleased when its updated and things work better or there are new features. How would I go about doing it? Would I have to wipe everything, and put a stock HTC international ROM on it to be able to update the firmware? Or could I flash it like I would with a ROM?

I'm not a developer or anything, but I can figure some things out with a little instruction.

I'll include the numbers in the bootloader in case anyone can advise me whether its worth upgrading the firmware/and or flashing a kernel.

M7_UL PVT SHIP S-ON RH
HBOOT-1.550000
RADIO-4A.21.3263.04
OpenDSP-v32.120.274.0909
OS-3.62.401.1
eMMC-boot 2048MB
Oct 17 2013,23:06:14.0

Thank you for any help you're able to give, and sorry if this is basic stuff and sorry if its something simple. I've had a look here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2485651 and found it a bit confusing.

Would something like this website be a good first step: http://firewater-soff.com/ ?

Polarbert

May 20, 2012
Oh, and I have TWRP 2.6.3.3 and Viper ROM 6.1 at the moment. And I upgraded from the standard network unlocked ROM, it wasn't branded or anything when I bought it originally.

My build number is listed as 4.19.401.11 is that something that is related to the ROM or the actual phone? I was under the impression that it was the latter. http://forum.freeware.info.pl/gry/gothic.html

Last edited:

Polarbert

May 20, 2012
S-off is good, very good - get s-off before you update to hboot 1.56
will you see any improvements with a new firmware ...probably not

not much changed between 4.3 and 4.4.2 firmware wise

Thanks for that. Good to know. So the best bet sounds to go to s-off and then I can wait for some more developments along the lines, if there are any. I doubt it as this is now an old model.

Polarbert

May 20, 2012
actually android 4.4.3 and Sense 6 are just around the corner

Yeah. I've been using sense 6 happily on Viper Rom. I don't know whether the incremental android update would make much of a difference.

I heard someone saying that an updated firmware would improve the battery life. I've been looking at that firmware thread and still can't get my head around it.

Tachi91

Oct 15, 2008
Subartic - Americana
Firmware varies on performance/battery life. Having the latest firmware might not positively effect your device in terms of signal strength and battery life.

For example I have an AT&T One on their network I always try out the latest firmwares available across the board. Some improve network performance while others drain my battery very quickly and any combination of either or.

If you notice some Carrier Updates include different radio versions when compared to another carrier with the same Android/Sense Version. Those carrier specific firmware updates are released in favor of their network. Not always do the carriers release optimized radio firmwares.
I've tried firmwares releases for the European unlocked HTC One that worked better then a firmware AT&T released.

In the end firmware updates (Radio updates specifically) are a trial & error process of finding out which one works best for you situation.

Kernels on the other hand are in most cases better as they are released. Since they offer bug fixes and performance updates and sometimes offer feature updates that come in handy down the road. Running a custom rom you will use the kernel that the developer choices, some use stock kernels since they offer the best stability. Others recommend using a custom kernel since they offer more features like 'tap to wake' or under/overclock of cpu and gpu... etc

Just like firmware updates, kernels are a trial & error process. Some offer great performance and battery life when combined with particular roms and settings, while others are horrible.

In the end its all a matter of what you prefer and the combinations of radio, firmware, roms. What works perfectly for me might not for you so take suggestions from others with a grain of sand. We don't live with you and don't do the things you do. You might love playing games or taking pictures, while I simply like to surf the web and email.

Polarbert

May 20, 2012
So I'm now S-OFF, and I've updated the bootloader to remove the hboot developmental red warning.

Whats the best course of action now? I've looked into radios, but not sure where I stand with that. My phone is an unlocked international model, and I'm in California on T-Mobile. Would putting the t mobile radio make much difference? Or should I just go with the latest firmware? From what I've read that includes a radio.

This is the latest firmware I would flash isn't it?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2485651

Many thanks for the help.

Tachi91

Oct 15, 2008
Subartic - Americana
Using T-Mobile radio will benefit you since there tailored to US side of things, but you won't know until you try... Those zip aslong as they have the radio.img and the text file you can delete all the other things if you wish if not just flash them all.

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: Polarbert

Polarbert

May 20, 2012
Using T-Mobile radio will benefit you since there tailored to US side of things, but you won't know until you try... Those zip aslong as they have the radio.img and the text file you can delete all the other things if you wish if not just flash them all.

Thanks for that. I'll give that a go tomorrow and see what happens. I don't really have any problems with signal, and I know as my phone is a uk model there isn't any chance of me being able to utilize the 4g network. http://online.freeware.info.pl/shakes&fidget.html

Last edited:

Polarbert

May 20, 2012
Hello again,

I'm looking at this thread:

http://online.freeware.info.pl/klondike.html

and I'm a little confused about which radio I should put onto my phone. I'd like to give the T Mobile US radio and firmware a go but there are a couple of different ones listed in that thread and I'm uncertain about which to go for.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Firmware varies on performance/battery life. Having the latest firmware might not positively effect your device in terms of signal strength and battery life.

For example I have an AT&T One on their network I always try out the latest firmwares available across the board. Some improve network performance while others drain my battery very quickly and any combination of either or.

If you notice some Carrier Updates include different radio versions when compared to another carrier with the same Android/Sense Version. Those carrier specific firmware updates are released in favor of their network. Not always do the carriers release optimized radio firmwares.
    I've tried firmwares releases for the European unlocked HTC One that worked better then a firmware AT&T released.

In the end firmware updates (Radio updates specifically) are a trial & error process of finding out which one works best for you situation.

Kernels on the other hand are in most cases better as they are released. Since they offer bug fixes and performance updates and sometimes offer feature updates that come in handy down the road. Running a custom rom you will use the kernel that the developer choices, some use stock kernels since they offer the best stability. Others recommend using a custom kernel since they offer more features like 'tap to wake' or under/overclock of cpu and gpu... etc

Just like firmware updates, kernels are a trial & error process. Some offer great performance and battery life when combined with particular roms and settings, while others are horrible.

In the end its all a matter of what you prefer and the combinations of radio, firmware, roms. What works perfectly for me might not for you so take suggestions from others with a grain of sand. We don't live with you and don't do the things you do. You might love playing games or taking pictures, while I simply like to surf the web and email.
    Is anyone able to shed any light on this for me? Thanks a lot.

S-off is good, very good - get s-off before you update to hboot 1.56
    will you see any improvements with a new firmware ...probably not

not much changed between 4.3 and 4.4.2 firmware wise