[q] help with htc desire memory

Search This thread

tronic44522

Apr 2, 2014
HI
Im new to this forum so please forgice me if my post is in the wrong place.

I have the 2010 htc desire and have it rooted and am running MILDWILD 8.0 which is great on this phone. my question is how do i add extra internal memory using partion ext on sd card. I can partion the sd card with clockword recovery but when i reboot it always hangs on the htc logo. can any one help with this?

Thanks

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
That's because you're still on stock hboot, no better than before it was rooted.

- Install DiskUsage, enable root and browse to your /system partition.
- You will see a lot of free space on /system. This is wasted space.
- You can convert this wasted space to extra /data (internal memory) by flashing a different hboot with a smaller /system partition.

(You need to be s-off for the following, if you're not, use 'revolutionary')

- Nandroid backup
- Flash cm7r2 hboot using fastboot
- Full wipe and nandroid restore
- Go again to DiskUsage, your free space on system is greatly reduced :good:, and your /data will go up to 287MB
- This 287MB will be used for app data (e.g. saved game data), and will allow for more apps to be installed.
- You won't see your sd-ext reported in your total internal memory (i.e. it won't read 'internal + sd-ext')
- Keep your apps on 'internal' (don't 'move to sd'), this will trick them automatically to sd-ext.
- If you use DiskUsage to browse to /sd-ext, you'll see apps and dalvik cache there, which means it's working as it should.

tronic44522

Apr 2, 2014
do i need to do this? if so can you show me a guide.

also does mild wild 8.0 have built in apps2sd scripts and if so how do i use them.

i have saw videos on youtube with the htc desire internal memory going from 148mb to 1.5gb how can i do this?
thanks

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
You don't technically need to do to it, but in order to gain more app space you should understand exactly how your memory is being used in the first place.

Apps2sd is already enabled in the ROM by default as stated in the ROM OP. You do not need to do anything extra. Like I said, keep apps on internal and your apps and dalvik cache will be moved to /sd-ext, you should be able to check this now with DiskUsage.

I recommend starting here for fastboot guide, that's the only thing you're missing. Flashing things through fastboot isn't that hard once you get used to it, and can be crucial in certain situations. Once you flash the ROM on cm7r2 hboot, you'll be using your space more efficiently and have a lot more space for apps.

I know 287MB doesn't seem like much more. But this is /data partition is only used for app data. This will still get filled up as you install apps, but much more slowly :good: The apps and dalvik cache which take up much more space go to sd-ext, which is what you want.

You can refer to the same videos if you really want to see 1.5GB internal memory, they likely use a 'data2sd' or equivalent script but in my experience it's not worth it. You would have to remove the current working script, and replace it with something else, which is risky if it's incompatible and untested. Even if you do this, you're not actually gaining anything extra. You have already created the sd-ext partition; it's size is whatever size you set it when you partitioned. It does not change depending on the A2SD script.

I understand that having a 'visible' 1.5GB memory looks better...but once you realise your partition is already there and being used correctly, you don't need to see it.

tronic44522

Apr 2, 2014
thanks
i now have 288mb of internal storage with an ext partion sd of 1.4gb,

is that all i need to do now?
so when i install apps the mildwild 8.0 rom will move all to ext4 partion automatically?

also some apps i use to use now say "compatible with your device" is there a way around this so i can install them on my desire?

Thanks

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
Pretty much yes. Keep them on internal as instructed (don't 'move to SD') to trick them to sd-ext.

All you really need is reassurance that your ext partition is actually being used, which is why I always recommend DiskUsage. Have you actually tried it as first recommended?

Browse to your /sd-ext (or similar name) folder, the one which is ~1.4GB in total size. What can you see?

As for incompatible apps. Don't know. Which ones, are they for higher versions of Android? Have you tried sideloading the apks?

tronic44522

Apr 2, 2014
Pretty much yes. Keep them on internal as instructed (don't 'move to SD') to trick them to sd-ext.

All you really need is reassurance that your ext partition is actually being used, which is why I always recommend DiskUsage. Have you actually tried it as first recommended?

Browse to your /sd-ext (or similar name) folder, the one which is ~1.4GB in total size. What can you see?

As for incompatible apps. Don't know. Which ones, are they for higher versions of Android? Have you tried sideloading the apks?

yes i have tried it as recommended.
when i browse /sd-ext i see 1423mib then the following dalvik-cache 76.7mib, app 66.4mib, system data 104.3 mib and freespace 1175mib

I also liked the guide on fast boot you sent me, as from using tips from it i was able to flash a new splash screen and boot animation. so thank you.

by side loading do you mean installing the apps with the apk file and not through the play store?

if so this works for some apps but now others. the app Im looking to use is the Argos app. before the recent update it worked fine but now when i went to update i get the device is incompatible message in play store. I have read some stuff on the build.prop method but am unsure if this would work.

eddiehk6

Dec 18, 2010
London
yes i have tried it as recommended.
when i browse /sd-ext i see 1423mib then the following dalvik-cache 76.7mib, app 66.4mib, system data 104.3 mib and freespace 1175mib

I also liked the guide on fast boot you sent me, as from using tips from it i was able to flash a new splash screen and boot animation. so thank you.

by side loading do you mean installing the apps with the apk file and not through the play store?

if so this works for some apps but now others. the app Im looking to use is the Argos app. before the recent update it worked fine but now when i went to update i get the device is incompatible message in play store. I have read some stuff on the build.prop method but am unsure if this would work.

Yep, all good, it's filling up so you have successfully added internal memory :good: plenty more space for apps.

Yeh that guide worked for me which is why I always recommend it. I liked changing the splash screen too (ironically can't be done on Nexus devices as far as I know)

Sideloading is as you described

The Argos app is compatible with Android versions 4.0 and higher as on the play store page, which is why it's incompatible with CM7 which is 2.3.x. The same probably applies to the other apps you're having trouble with. I've never messed with build.prop, probably could work, just make sure you make a nandroid backup before trying any of it.