[Q] Lens distortion! Who else is bothered?

Search This thread

naujoks

May 27, 2006
Am I the only person who is bothered by the amount of lens distortion you get on the Z2?
I sold the Z1 for that reason, and just when about to take a picture of my Note 3, when I wanted to put it up for sale, it shows the Z2 has just the same amount of distortion.
I'm attaching a picture taken with the Z2. Just check out the horizontal straight lines, in the Windows box and the monitor frame. It all bulges in and outwards.
I imagine my camera isn't the only one.
Why is nobody else bothered by this? Any fix for this?

Attachments

• DSC_0003.jpg
    DSC_0003.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 803
Reactions: rajaraj

raducanmihai

Aug 24, 2011
Brașov
It might be an optical illusion. If there is a lens problem why the phone's line are straight? Open in a photo editor and draw a line between the top and bottom corners of the box and see if there is an illusion or not.

Reactions: rajaraj

Jackos

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2008
Warsaw
leidel.pl
OnePlus Open
I'm no expert in photography, but I guess it's because you took a close shot. If you take pictures from more far away this won't be an issue anymore. If I remember correctly, this is an issue related to the small optical sensor.

I don't know if all phones nowadays suffer from this, but I'm sure the HTC One M7 did.

Usually the phone corrects this using software methods.

naujoks

May 27, 2006
I'm no expert in photography, but I guess it's because you took a close shot. If you take pictures from more far away this won't be an issue anymore. If I remember correctly, this is an issue related to the small optical sensor.

I don't know if all phones nowadays suffer from this, but I'm sure the HTC One M7 did.

Usually the phone corrects this using software methods.

It's definitely no optical illusion, and Photoshop is also not quite the answer, as the distortion is quite irregular. I tried applying the lens distortion filter, but it won't come out right.
Straight lines at the left and right also slant towards the middle.
Small lens problem, yes. But that Galaxy Note 3 also has a small lens, and the problem there is far less pronounced. On top of that you get the blurriness in all the Z2 pictures.
I'm really quite disappointed. I sold the Z1 shortly after getting it for the same problems, I was optimistic that Sony had sorted the problem, but sadly that is not the case.

Solidswede

Aug 15, 2010
It's definitely no optical illusion, and Photoshop is also not quite the answer, as the distortion is quite irregular. I tried applying the lens distortion filter, but it won't come out right.
Straight lines at the left and right also slant towards the middle.
Small lens problem, yes. But that Galaxy Note 3 also has a small lens, and the problem there is far less pronounced. On top of that you get the blurriness in all the Z2 pictures.
I'm really quite disappointed. I sold the Z1 shortly after getting it for the same problems, I was optimistic that Sony had sorted the problem, but sadly that is not the case.

I have this problem too when shooting video as well as taking pictures. My Z1 and Z did not have this problem. It should be something that is corrected when the shot is taken but it seems it's not. I'll contact Sony as it seems only you and I here have this problem...

Mar 6, 2014
I have this problem too when shooting video as well as taking pictures. My Z1 and Z did not have this problem. It should be something that is corrected when the shot is taken but it seems it's not. I'll contact Sony as it seems only you and I here have this problem...

Mine seems ok but the corners are quite blurry which was also reported by some reviewers. Especially the left lower corner. A bit dissapointing compared to my previous phone the Galaxy S4. But I usually crop the photos anyway.

Greetings

David

Solidswede

Aug 15, 2010
Mine seems ok but the corners are quite blurry which was also reported by some reviewers. Especially the left lower corner. A bit dissapointing compared to my previous phone the Galaxy S4. But I usually crop the photos anyway.

Greetings

David

Go here http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Help/Distortion.aspx and choose "WAVE DISTORSION", check if it looks like this when you are shooting something 40-50 cm or closer... you really should see it. I have the blurry corners too. Again Z and Z1 did NOT suffer from this problem. Hope to hear back from Sony but my complaint was their first but a friend of mine has the exact same problem.

naujoks

May 27, 2006
Here's my test picture I've taken.
Looks like a typical case of pin cushion distortion.
I think it's pretty bad. What should I do?

Attachments

• DSC_0044.jpg
    DSC_0044.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 291

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Am I the only person who is bothered by the amount of lens distortion you get on the Z2?
    I sold the Z1 for that reason, and just when about to take a picture of my Note 3, when I wanted to put it up for sale, it shows the Z2 has just the same amount of distortion.
    I'm attaching a picture taken with the Z2. Just check out the horizontal straight lines, in the Windows box and the monitor frame. It all bulges in and outwards.
    I imagine my camera isn't the only one.
    Why is nobody else bothered by this? Any fix for this?
    It might be an optical illusion. If there is a lens problem why the phone's line are straight? Open in a photo editor and draw a line between the top and bottom corners of the box and see if there is an illusion or not.