HTC One US Unlocked 32 GB Dev Edition on Amazon $649

Search This thread

Richard Rahl

Jan 7, 2012
You can always take the developer edition and convert it to gpe. But if you don't want to deal with it and just want the latest updates quickest then gpe is the best option. Also the gpe has more radios including wcdma aws so that is better in the radio department as well.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Why do so many people get the Developer's Edition? Which is better?
From what I see the GPE is pure Droid, no Sense...right? Only the DEV has sense (apart from retail)

itsxiao

Jan 28, 2011
New York
HTC website now has both unlocked and DE available with shipment within 1-2 weeks. And of course not much explanation for most people what's the difference between the two. Both are backordered. What's funny is HTC has listed the wrong info under the specs..

Cell Phone Specifications
Processor Name Qualcomm® Snapdragon™ 800

You would think their marketing department would be able to get it together, but sadly no.. This is their flagship phone that is supposed to help save the company profits and yet they don't list the correct and most up to date chipset.

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:59 PM ----------

Are dev editions cdma?:confused:
DE and Unlocked will not work with Verizon. As far as I know, it seems that the DE and Unlocked versions offered by HTC website lack the HSPA+ band which T-mobile uses. GPE seems redundant since you can flash that on the unlocked ones anyway. So for T mobile customers it seems the puzzle is: Wait for T-mobile's version so you can have all the bands T-mobile uses or get the unlocked versions but lack the HSPA+ which is offers a larger coverage area.

Copied from ZDnet review

"The HTC One M8 will be priced at $199 and $249 with a two-year contract, depending on the carrier. T-Mobile will eventually have it available beginning on April 11 for $0 down with the full price of $636 paid interest-free over a two-year period. The T-Mobile version will also support WiFi Calling, which is a great utility for those who are traveling or have a weak signal at home.

There will be a Google Play Edition that works with AT&T and T-Mobile in the US, available for $699. It will be up for pre-order on the Google Play Store and available in silver. I could order a Google Play Edition device, but I think an HTC One without Sense isn't worth the price, due in large part to the camera technology.

A Developer Edition is also going to be available on HTC.Com as a SIM unlocked model for $649. It's based on the AT&T SKU, so there are limits for T-Mobile customers."

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    http://www.amazon.com/HTC-One-M8-Unlocked-Warranty/dp/B00J3554KE/ref=sr_tr_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1395792149&sr=8-5&keywords=htc+one+m8

They do not currently have them in stock yet, but will accept your order. Sold direct from Amazon. I ordered one because it's $50 cheaper than a carrier locked.
    Oh sorry, when I said unlocked, I was referring to a version called unlocked on Amazon, and not the DE unlocked. I thought last year's HTC One released with a $599 unlocked price..

OK so here's what I know:
    The HTC One M8 Google Play Edition is fully unlocked, and fully supports T-Mobile and AT&T in the USA.
    The HTC One M8 Developer's Edtion has the exact same bands as the AT&T model, so it is fully supported by them only. It, too, is fully unlocked, but it doesn't have the AWS band for T-Mobile. Both of these phones are usable overseas, however, and this is why there's an advantage over a carrier version.
    There has been no official word on the specs/compatibility of an unlocked non-developer version yet, so I can't comment there.
    Lastly, the reason the GPE, Dev, unlocked, and 32GB carrier versions are delayed is that the 32GB phone isn't technically out yet.
    There's most of what I know about the situation as of now.