[Q] New Droid Maxx User, a bit confused.....

Search This thread

mountaineerndixie

Mar 16, 2010
Charleston, WV
I just purchased a new Droid Maxx and I'm finding it a bit confusing here at XDA. Per System Panel app (Because it's not listed in the "About Phone" section of the settings), I have model XT1080.

1) Is the "Droid Maxx" the same as "Droid Razr Maxx"?
2) This phone has been great out of the box (since bloatware can be disabled), so has rooting/custom ROM use been favorable for most?
3) I don't see a "Droid Maxx" section here at XDA, so it appears that I would follow the "Ultra" section for development info?

Hope these don't seem to be stupid questions but I've had a rooted Dinc2 for a while and have used this site for everything and it has been great. Just some incredible minds and resources here. I just want to make sure I'm going to the right place and wanted some feedback on rooting it.

Thanks.

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
I just purchased a new Droid Maxx and I'm finding it a bit confusing here at XDA. Per System Panel app (Because it's not listed in the "About Phone" section of the settings), I have model XT1080.

2) This phone has been great out of the box (since bloatware can be disabled), so has rooting/custom ROM use been favorable for most?
3) I don't see a "Droid Maxx" section here at XDA, so it appears that I would follow the "Ultra" section for development info?

Hope these don't seem to be stupid questions but I've had a rooted Dinc2 for a while and have used this site for everything and it has been great. Just some incredible minds and resources here. I just want to make sure I'm going to the right place and wanted some feedback on rooting it.

Thanks.

1) Not the same

2 )I assume you have the consumer edition and not the Developer Edition. So no unlocking the bootloader. If you want root, do NOT upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat as there is no way to root 4.4 unless you rooted 4.2.2. No ROMs (we JUST received CM 11 for the Dev edition this evening)

3) Yes, the Maxx and the Ultra are essentially the same device

mountaineerndixie

Mar 16, 2010
Charleston, WV
1) Not the same

2 )I assume you have the consumer edition and not the Developer Edition. So no unlocking the bootloader. If you want root, do NOT upgrade to Android 4.4 KitKat as there is no way to root 4.4 unless you rooted 4.2.2. No ROMs (we JUST received CM 11 for the Dev edition this evening)

3) Yes, the Maxx and the Ultra are essentially the same device

Thanks so much for the info. I thought I had read somewhere that the XT1080 was a developer edition, so I'm glad you pointed that out.

And, since I updated to KK a couple days after I activated it, looks like I'm screwed for now as far as rooting......oh well, it's a great device as is.

Last edited:

judson75

Jan 25, 2014
Thanks so much for the info. I thought I had read somewhere that the XT1080 was a developer edition, so I'm glad you pointed that out.

And, since I updated to KK a couple days after I activated it, looks like I'm screwed for now as far as rooting......oh well, it's a great device as is.

Hey, I am shopping for a phone for my wife who is switching from the iphone. The battery life is a big deal for her, but I have also heard great things about this phone (call quality, good camera, etc). This thread answered a couple things for me, but only hinted at another. If I buy a new Droid Maxx will it me on 4.2 or 4.4? Sounds like the OP just got one with 4.2. Do I need to check before purchasing?

Secondly is it true you can eliminate bloatware with this phone? No TBU needed?

Thanks!

mountaineerndixie

Mar 16, 2010
Charleston, WV
I've used only rooted phones since I learned it could be done but I'm seriously considering leaving this Maxx as is. Battery life is off the charts, although I still charge every night out of habit. I don't think I've gone below 50% in a 24 hour period yet and I play with my phone constantly.

I didn't get a look at which version it came with (4.2 I assume) but I got 2 updates almost back to back a day or so after I activated it, the second of which was K K 4.4. Most all bloatware can be disabled via Settings>Apps, so that was a great change for me coming from a GB Dinc2.

I'm sure I'll root it, eventually, out of boredom but it's been great so far. It's much larger than I imagined but that's just a plus for me. The only negative I have found is that it seems hard for me to find the "sweet spot" on the earpiece to hear callers clearly. Not sure if this is a low in-call volume issue or just me having to adjust to a new phone.

I would highly recommend this device.

Sent from my XT1080 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

judson75

Jan 25, 2014
I didn't get a look at which version it came with (4.2 I assume) but I got 2 updates almost back to back a day or so after I activated it, the second of which was K K 4.4. Most all bloatware can be disabled via Settings>Apps, so that was a great change for me coming from a GB Dinc2.

I'm sure I'll root it, eventually, out of boredom but it's been great so far. It's much larger than I imagined but that's just a plus for me. The only negative I have found is that it seems hard for me to find the "sweet spot" on the earpiece to hear callers clearly. Not sure if this is a low in-call volume issue or just me having to adjust to a new phone.

That all sounds good. I checked out Verizon's site and noticed that they say it comes with KK 4.4, but that might mean that it OTA's to 4.4 but actually ships with something they put on at the factory months ago. In any case I think this is the phone I am going with. Any weaknesses I should know about?

kcipopnevets

Oct 6, 2013
Brooklyn
That all sounds good. I checked out Verizon's site and noticed that they say it comes with KK 4.4, but that might mean that it OTA's to 4.4 but actually ships with something they put on at the factory months ago. In any case I think this is the phone I am going with. Any weaknesses I should know about?

The phone should come with the 12.7.7 OTA which is still Jelly Bean. Weaknesses... None really. It's a powerful device. My only complaint is how bright the screen is at the lowest setting.

BladeRunner

Jan 15, 2012
I've used only rooted phones since I learned it could be done but I'm seriously considering leaving this Maxx as is. Battery life is off the charts, although I still charge every night out of habit. I don't think I've gone below 50% in a 24 hour period yet and I play with my phone constantly.

Unless you have the Dev edition you are sol on rooting if you took the ota to 4.4 without rooting first

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

Last edited:

mountaineerndixie

Mar 16, 2010
Charleston, WV
Unless you have the Dev edition you are sol on rooting if you took the ota to 4.4 without rooting first

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2

That's another thing....how would I know if I have the dev edition? I read online one place it says the 1080 is the dev edition, another site says it has to read "Dev Edition" on the back, etc.......

Last edited:

kenryan

Nov 20, 2012
If I buy a new Droid Maxx will it me on 4.2 or 4.4? Sounds like the OP just got one with 4.2. Do I need to check before purchasing?

If you can get a look at the box before plunking down money, it gives the installed version on the label. Look for "S/W: 12.7.7.obake" or "S/W: 12.15.15.obake". Those are 4.2 (pre-camera update and post). Be sure you are ready to hit "later" on the update prompt when the phone is first powered on - don't let the salesperson do it. Just tell them you don't want the KitKat update.

Secondly is it true you can eliminate bloatware with this phone? No TBU needed?

Many of the bloatware apps can be disabled, which effectively takes them out of the picture (they are still there). Some can't be disabled, but the stuff left isn't too obnoxious. I think it's a pretty good compromise.

ken

spiral777

Oct 21, 2011
Chicago
Nexus 6
Google Pixel

Thanks.

xt1080m = consumer edition
xt1080mdev = developer edition which can only be ordered through the motorola website...and will have developer edition on the back

i sold my consumer edition on ebay and bought a Dev Edition

G4VlOnm.jpg

danger2u

Jan 24, 2010
If you can get a look at the box before plunking down money, it gives the installed version on the label. Look for "S/W: 12.7.7.obake" or "S/W: 12.15.15.obake". Those are 4.2 (pre-camera update and post). Be sure you are ready to hit "later" on the update prompt when the phone is first powered on - don't let the salesperson do it. Just tell them you don't want the KitKat update.

Many of the bloatware apps can be disabled, which effectively takes them out of the picture (they are still there). Some can't be disabled, but the stuff left isn't too obnoxious. I think it's a pretty good compromise.

ken

i bought one droid maxx and on the box is writen 12.7.7.obake
that means that have 4.2?
there is a root method for 4.2?
thanks

kenryan

Nov 20, 2012
thanks

Yes. You have the pre-camera update 4.2.2.

Look for the procedures posted by NWKENT. Read them carefully, follow them to a tee. Miss no steps. And you can get there.

Here is the link: http://waynekent.com/page6.html

(Unless you went out of your way, you have the XT1080 Public Edition).

If you don't understand something, stop and ping him. He is extremely helpful.

Good luck.

Reactions: danger2u

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    thanks

Yes. You have the pre-camera update 4.2.2.

Look for the procedures posted by NWKENT. Read them carefully, follow them to a tee. Miss no steps. And you can get there.

Here is the link: http://waynekent.com/page6.html

(Unless you went out of your way, you have the XT1080 Public Edition).

If you don't understand something, stop and ping him. He is extremely helpful.

Good luck.