LCD Mura

Search This thread

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Should be since it's a hardware defect. Many people have sent in unlocked primes without any issues for RMA.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app

kenix80

Feb 5, 2012
Send mine for RMA, 3 weeks already but still not yet received mine back. After changing the screen put the status as Final Testing for 2 week with no update even complaint ask for updated status but still no reply.

So decided to send and email with all my status checking for the past 3 weeks final confirm the unit service is completed and ready for shipping hope to get is on Mon or Tues as per agreed.

Will this so call great job ASUS Malaysia!!!!

dgjl

Jan 9, 2012
Just found a tiny spot on my Prime on the bottom left of the screen...very disappointed as I've already RMA's before and had a new screen because of more significant mura. The feeling now is there will be other spots and that the one that's this one will grow.:crying:

I love to talk the prime up, and mine works really well for all I want to do with it, but this is definitely going to start to put me off.

garak0410

Feb 7, 2009
Just found a tiny spot on my Prime on the bottom left of the screen...very disappointed as I've already RMA's before and had a new screen because of more significant mura. The feeling now is there will be other spots and that the one that's this one will grow.:crying:

I love to talk the prime up, and mine works really well for all I want to do with it, but this is definitely going to start to put me off.

I hear ya...I talk this device up too...runs circles around any iPad I put it next to. Though I am tempted to go Microsoft Surface/Windows Phone 8 (just because my job and home are Microsoft Shops), I'll always push this tablet when I can.

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY

Screw Asus. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm RMA'in mine for 3 mura spots - two of which got bigger over time. I have the RMA # already, but I do plan on calling to try and get them to pay for shipping. Even if I have to pay for shipping the first time, I'm going to RMA this piece of garbage every time I get a new mura spot, and I'm going to make a huge stink about paying for it after the initial RMA. I'll keep going all the way through my warranty period. F them.

dgjl

Jan 9, 2012

Two more tiny spots today - and I'm sure the first one's growing...:(

dgjl

Jan 9, 2012

I suppose one of the issues here is that we are under the illusion that this is a 'high-end' device because it breaks $500. This is because Apple's huge economies of scale and ability to create a 'willing' workforce has driven down prices to a ludicrous extent, and the competitors can only compete by lowering quality. Apple can also sell iPads at scratch profit because they control content. Asus will never be able to do that (though Google/Microsoft might). Probably to get everything working as it should this device would struggle to come in under $1000.

The ATP, and even more so the Nexus 7, are just really, really cheap consumer electronics, that can both do things that would have been beyond a dream even 5 years ago. It's a mixed up and crazy world.

Still disappointed with my mura though...;)

Basically going to hold onto this as a workhorse for another year and jump on a 2nd gen Windows 8/RT tablet, when its issues are largely ironed out.

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
I suppose one of the issues here is that we are under the illusion that this is a 'high-end' device because it breaks $500. This is because Apple's huge economies of scale and ability to create a 'willing' workforce has driven down prices to a ludicrous extent, and the competitors can only compete by lowering quality. Apple can also sell iPads at scratch profit because they control content. Asus will never be able to do that (though Google/Microsoft might). Probably to get everything working as it should this device would struggle to come in under $1000.

The ATP, and even more so the Nexus 7, are just really, really cheap consumer electronics, that can both do things that would have been beyond a dream even 5 years ago. It's a mixed up and crazy world.

Still disappointed with my mura though...;)

Basically going to hold onto this as a workhorse for another year and jump on a 2nd gen Windows 8/RT tablet, when its issues are largely ironed out.

Out of curiosity, are you going to attempt another RMA for your mura, or have you had enough?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

dgjl

Jan 9, 2012
Out of curiosity, are you going to attempt another RMA for your mura, or have you had enough?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium
Not sure - it's only a couple of pin head size spots at the moment and, like a big baby, I can't really bear to be without it - also I'm not sure Asus would except it as a problem as they are pretty much invisible unless you are looking for them. As a UK owner I think I have a full year warranty, so I may wait until later in the summer and see if they grow/multiply.

Reactions: nyijedi

nyijedi

Jul 5, 2008
Long Island, NY
Haha. Sorry to hear, but that sounds about right. I finally sent my Prime in yesterday for mura, and I'm EXPECTING it to come back worse than it was when I sent it in. Make sure those s.o.b.'s don't try and stick you with shipping costs again.

GunnerOnASpooky

I'm not sure I'll be able to get them to repair it again as my bootloader is unlocked...I slipped by with the mura issue, but I don't think they'll take the bait again as it's been sent to a case rep ...but we'll see how it goes. If they deny it, I might bite the bullet and dive into the internals and see if I can fix it. I don't want to, but I have some experience replacing screens and boards.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using xda premium

sobresa

Feb 15, 2012
another form of mura?

I have a six month old TF101. I purchased a refurbished unit, so it is already out of warranty. My Transformer has some issues which I did not notice immediately and was unable to get warranty service for when I did notice them a month later because I was traveling in a remote area. First, the screen wobbles a bit in the frame, which at first I thought was just the way the tablets were constructed but later, after some reading, found out was a defect in some units. There is also a small hair trapped under the glass which did not appear until I had had the Transformer for a month, I believe it was hidden on the far side of the glass for a while, but with use and movement, it drifted toward the visible portion of the screen. But now my Transformer has developed a new problem similar to the one being discussed in this thread. Yesterday I noticed, for the first time, three bright spots or "streaks" on the screen, two of which are quite visible on the left side, and one which is less visible on the right. Like one other previous poster here mentioned, the spots on my display are only visible when the background color on the screen is dark.. They are not visible at all when the screen is white. People reporting mura are saying their spots are most visible when the screen is white so I don't know if the spots on my screen would technically be called mura or something else.

When I first noticed them I thought the spots were fingerprint smudges; then, after trying to wipe the "smudges" off I realized they were UNDER the glass! I don't know anything about LCD technology but it looks to me like the spots are the color of the LCD panel itself. If I press down hard anywhere on the touch screen with my finger, I can see a light white-purplish color flash onto the screen in that area. The permanent spots that have appeared on my screen are the same color as this.So I'm guessing in the spots where this defect exists light from the LCD panel is bleeding through?

Does anyone know if a bright spot which appears when the screen is dark but not white is also a form of mura, or is it a different problem with a different cause?

Last edited:

joehanratty

Jan 11, 2012
Has anyone else experienced "LCD mura" with their Primes, and if so, has the issue gotten any worse since you noticed it? LCD mura looks similar to light bleed, but not in corners of the screen. Rather, it is a small blotch/"bright spot" appearing anywhere on the screen. I have one such problem area that showed up after owning the Prime for about a month. It hasn't gotten any worse, but it's annoying on white backgrounds. I'm wondering how common of a problem this is. A Google search shows that it's a somewhat regular occurrence on cheaper LCD screens.

Yes, I had 3 spots, sent it back with RMA and listed every issue I had. After less than 3 weeks it came back with no spots and working better than before it left. Get it fixed, you wont regret it.

whycali

Apr 21, 2010
the screen wobbles a bit in the frame, which at first I thought was just the way the tablets were constructed but later, after some reading, found out was a defect in some units.

I assume your wifi also sucks as the tightness of the screen is necessary for good wifi

sobresa

Feb 15, 2012
I assume your wifi also sucks as the tightness of the screen is necessary for good wifi

Interesting about the wifi. Mine seems okay, although I have noticed my laptop signal shows as stronger than the Transformer signal, with both devices in the same location. There was one time when my Transformer could barely get and keep a signal and yet my laptop had a strong signal, but in most situations the wifi has been adequate.

lilstevie

Senior Recognized Developer
Apr 17, 2009
Interesting about the wifi. Mine seems okay, although I have noticed my laptop signal shows as stronger than the Transformer signal, with both devices in the same location. There was one time when my Transformer could barely get and keep a signal and yet my laptop had a strong signal, but in most situations the wifi has been adequate.

This is a tf101 though yeah? the wireless antenna is in a different location on the tf101 that isn't dependant on the screen being in place.

As a side note, with the screen out of my transformer prime the wifi signal strength is the same as with the screen on (and yes I have tested, the pogo pins are indeed touching the antenna pads when closed up)

whycali

Apr 21, 2010
This is a tf101 though yeah? the wireless antenna is in a different location on the tf101 that isn't dependant on the screen being in place.

As a side note, with the screen out of my transformer prime the wifi signal strength is the same as with the screen on (and yes I have tested, the pogo pins are indeed touching the antenna pads when closed up)

I completely missed the 101 portion of his comment. In my experience those typically have excellent wifi.

when you have the screen out of your prime the pogo pins do not make contact with the antennas and unless you connect a wire to the pin itself it will be as if there is no antenna installed. if your wifi performs as well with nothing connected to the pogo pins and with the front disconnected it probably means that your antennas (while connected to the pogo pins) are not properly grounding to the backshell and attenuating most of your signal. After enhancing these 3 ground points I found vastly improved wifi and gps.

And, somewhere along the way between altering my prime and using baked bean rom I dont seem to have any wifi bt fallout anymore either.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Has anyone else experienced "LCD mura" with their Primes, and if so, has the issue gotten any worse since you noticed it? LCD mura looks similar to light bleed, but not in corners of the screen. Rather, it is a small blotch/"bright spot" appearing anywhere on the screen. I have one such problem area that showed up after owning the Prime for about a month. It hasn't gotten any worse, but it's annoying on white backgrounds. I'm wondering how common of a problem this is. A Google search shows that it's a somewhat regular occurrence on cheaper LCD screens.
    Yes had two such areas on my TF201. Had the sreen replaced under warranty.
    My dead pixel area now has what looks like spider legs radiating from it (only short, maybe 3-4 mm long) and my number of mura spots has grown from one to 5.

It seems like my LCD is slowly dying. I contacted Asus today and am waiting reply.
    Has any one else noticed that in the Warranty information given in the box with the Prime, Asus seems to have expected mura, or something like it, to occur? There's a whole passage on LCD defects and what they will and won't cover, including the number of spots, the background they appear against, and their proximity to each other. It looks like they knowingly shipped cr*p!
    Have you gotten your Prime back yet? Any updates on what they said in response to the mura issue? Also, how did you initiate the RMA process?

Sorry, had too many threads to reply in about this that I forgot (aka one other lol). Anyways, prime came back within 12 days in my hands. No issues anymore that I see mura, but there might be some screen bleed after the repair. Doesn't bother me so oh well :)

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using XDA Premium HD app