TW 4.3 tethering [WIP]

Search This thread

nook2hd

Sep 6, 2013
replace framework-res.apk on stock rooted 4.3 for wifi tethering

I downloaded the tether_mod rom zip file from the link in post #35. Since stock recovery will not install zip file for me, I will have to figure out ways to do similar steps.

After inspection of the installtheme.sh script in the zip, I figured that the zip will simply patch up the framework-res.apk in /system/framework with the resources.arsc file in the zip. I managed to run the steps in the installtheme.sh script on a PC and created the patched framework-res.apk fie (oops, I cannot attach the file because it is too large. Basically, it is the following commands that needs to be run on your PC):

1. unzip downloaded zip file
2. copy framework-res.apk from phone to pc
3. replace the resources.arsc file in apk with the one in unzipped archive, using either command:
zip -r framework-res.apk resources.arsc
or any zip tool
4. use zipalign command found in android SDK to align the patched framework-res.apk file:
zipalign -f 4 framework-res.apk_patched framework-res.apk_aligned

However, before I use root explorer to replace the default framework-res.apk with the patched one (set permission first, replace the file, then restore permission), I need to know my back-up plan. First, I am confused about deodexed vs odexed, and do not know whether the patch is suitable for my stock rooted 4.3 system. Secondly, I read that replacing system files like framework-res.apk could cause the device to go into boot loop or not boot at all. If I get into that situation, will I be able to restore back and how?

If anyone had or will have success using the patched file, please share your experience.

Thanks.

Lexee

Nov 11, 2013
I However, before I use root explorer to replace the default framework-res.apk with the patched one (set permission first, replace the file, then restore permission), I need to know my back-up plan. First, I am confused about deodexed vs odexed, and do not know whether the patch is suitable for my stock rooted 4.3 system. Secondly, I read that replacing system files like framework-res.apk could cause the device to go into boot loop or not boot at all. If I get into that situation, will I be able to restore back and how?

First, back up your original apk on SD storage. Then, if you need to restore it, you can use TWRP Recovery. In Recovery, you would first go to Mount and choose system partition, and then go to Advanced/File Manager -- and I think you'll figure it out from there. In fact, I'd first try the recovery file manager interface just to make sure you're comfortable with it and know where things are..

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

nook2hd

Sep 6, 2013
First, back up your original apk on SD storage. Then, if you need to restore it, you can use TWRP Recovery. In Recovery, you would first go to Mount and choose system partition, and then go to Advanced/File Manager -- and I think you'll figure it out from there. In fact, I'd first try the recovery file manager interface just to make sure you're comfortable with it and know where things are..

Sent from my HTC One using xda app-developers app

After OTA to 4.3, my understanding is that the bootloader is locked and installing custom recovery such as CWM or TWRP will brick the phone.

That's why I am looking at other ways to patch framework-res.apk.

gm2racer

Mar 26, 2009
Has anyone patched the framework-res.apk on the latest OTA 4.4.2 (NE1)? I'm still running ML1, but I'm considering odin-ing back to stock in order to get Kit Kat.

Reactions: taweekly

nook2hd

Sep 6, 2013
On 4.3 ML1, I got the tether working with Xposed module Moto Tether. Never get framework-res.apk patching to work because of no space on /system partition.

So I would like to know if Xposed framework and Moto Tether will continue to work on 4.4.2 before I update to it.

Has anyone patched the framework-res.apk on the latest OTA 4.4.2 (NE1)? I'm still running ML1, but I'm considering odin-ing back to stock in order to get Kit Kat.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Why do you guys want to use the built in tether so bad? If Verizon ever decided they want to go after you for using Verizon's app without subscription you would be screwed. ATM the only way Verizon can make you pay extra per month for tethering is if you use the built in app. Honestly if you have enough money for a smart phone you have enough to buy foxfi or a similar tether app that doesn't have the possibility of extra charges. Plus it will follow you to your next phone.

gm2racer

Mar 26, 2009
In case anybody is interested, Wifi Tether Router by Fabio Grasso (as identified in post #6) works on a rooted Kit Kat VZW SGS3.

prdog1

Mar 10, 2012
Houston, Texas
Why do you guys want to use the built in tether so bad? If Verizon ever decided they want to go after you for using Verizon's app without subscription you would be screwed. ATM the only way Verizon can make you pay extra per month for tethering is if you use the built in app. Honestly if you have enough money for a smart phone you have enough to buy foxfi or a similar tether app that doesn't have the possibility of extra charges. Plus it will follow you to your next phone.
Actually the Hotspot app is not an app at all. It is an overlay of the native Android tether in framework that was hijacked. The hack just hijacks it back by stopping the call to the server that enables the authorization interface and doesn't show up any different than using FoxFi or any other app. In fact may be even better as there is no 3rd party app footprint and is just part of Android native code. Have been using native tether for years with no problems. :cool:

Top Liked Posts