[ROM] CyanogenMod 7.2.0 RC0 for Samsung Epic 4G SPH-D700 - Now with WiMAX!

Search This thread

UberPinguin

Sep 8, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
CRISIS AVERTED. NIGHTLY-9 IS EXPECTED TO BE SAFE. NORMAL PRECAUTIONS APPLY.

CyanogenMod is a free, community built distribution of Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

THIS IS NOT SAMSUNG TOUCHWIZ AND NEVER WILL BE. DO NOT ASK ABOUT IT. THANK YOU.

Code:
#include <std_disclaimer.h>
/*
* Your warranty is now void.
* I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
* thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
* do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
* before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
* you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
*/

This is an AOSP-based build with extra contributions from many people which you can use without any type of Google applications. I found a link from some other project that can be used to restore the Google parts, which can be found below or elsewhere in the thread. I've still included the various hardware-specific code, which seems to be slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Visit the CHANGELOG for a full list of changes and features!

QBKing77 was kind enough to produce a couple of videos about Epic's CM7
Please note that these were done before WiMAX was released.

How to Install

Review

INSTRUCTIONS:

- First time flashing CM 7 to your Epic (or coming from another ROM)?

1. Unlock/root your device and install Clockwork Recovery
  2. Do a Nandroid backup!
  3. WIPE
  4. Install the ROM
  5. Optionally install the Google Addon

- Upgrading from earlier CM7 or nightly build?

• Do a Nandroid Backup!
  • Install the ROM (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

HOW TO REPORT BUGS OR PROBLEMS?

• Was it a soft reboot or a "boot loop"? Run "adb logcat" and get me the full output.
  • Pastebin links preferred

The current buglist:

• Native tethering does not work with WiMAX. Enabling either WiFi or USB tether will disconnect WiMAX until tether is turned off. Third-party wifi tethering apps are known to work.
  • WiMAX Toggle Widget is Broken.
    Attempting to use it may cause the notification bar to force-close. You can disable the widget entirely in the CyanogenMod Settings menu.
    WiMAX can be managed through the Wireless & Networks system setting screen.
    NOTE: There is a third-party WiMAX Toggle Widget on the Android Market. It is not free, but has been reported to work on NS4G. Work toward implementing a functioning native toggle widget is ongoing.

New Changes:

• WiMAX (uberpinguin, mkasick, wispoffates)
  • Fixed camcorder media profiles for smoother recording and better auto white balance. Also adds "HD" profile. (Decad3nce)
  • Torch toggle button in PowerWidget (noobnl)
  • New WiFi driver from Aries kernel. Fixes native WiFi Hotspot and toggle button.

Download Links

NIGHTLIES. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

md5sum: ddb0c474d8fbf2e8711938b903f7ce0b update-cm7.2.0-RC0-Epic-WiMAX-signed.zip

• Mirror 0 courtesy of Rodderik in irc.irondust.net/#epic.
  • Mirror 1 courtesy of bonsaikitten and dev.gentooexperimental.org.
  • Mirror 2 courtesy of Hydr0p0nX from irc.irondust.net/#epic.
  • Mirror 3 courtesy of Facebonez in irc.irondust.net/#epic.
  • Mirror 4 courtesy of likewhoa in irc.freenode.net/#gentoo-chat

GAPPS
Download google applications

Google Talk with video addon
Mirror: link

Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy!

Changes:

• Fixed brightness control (noobnl)
  • WiFi Hotspot (decad3nce, noobnl, uberpinguin)
  • Fixed bad cached download mounts (noobnl)
  • Fixed overlay for video encoding/decoding (decad3nce & noobnl)
  • Fixed e911(mkasick)
  • Fixed most of the dhcpd clusterfuck(a couple more issues left)
  • Fixed init.d
  • Fixed cache errors
  • Fixed issues with logwrapper
  • MTD/yaffs2
  • Stage1/Stage2 inits
  • Updates from upstream
  • Backup/Restore fixed
  • Updated prebuilt modules
  • Compiled kernel from source MAJOR THANKS to mkasick and Rodderik
  • Fixed torch overlay
  • Fixed MMS overlay
  • Fixed incoming call routing
  • Fixed mic feedback/whistling
  • Adjusted APN for MMS - receiving works, sending fixed
  • Fixed application notification LED based on a tip from DRockstar
  • Fixed haptic feedback with a patch from jt1134

I recommend using the EI22 modem.
Please note flashing someone else's kernel may ruin your experience with this rom and I advise against it. This rom is a result of many tiring hours from Decad3nce, noobnl, jt1134, Uberpinguin, nubecoder, mkasick, nullghost, dameon78, wispofattes, DRockstar, and many many other contributors.

Last edited:

kstephens98

Apr 29, 2009
Lol... CM7 for the EPIC will never have 4g cause it will take too long to figure it out. By the time it happens you'll be on a different phone!!!! Lol....

Great job guys!!!!!!
Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk

Migital Warfare

Oct 14, 2010
Riverside, RI
I guess this is as good a place as any. I haven't been able to find the answer in any related threads, but I was wondering if there is a special trick to getting Google Talk to use the front video camera in the fixed version linked in the OP. I've successfully connected with a friend of mine who has a Galaxy Nexus, but the PIP window showing my video has no option to switch to the front cam (in fact, it shows a lock icon instead).

The video transfers fine, but I just can't figure out how to switch cams. Again, I'm using the fixed version already, and I've flashed it several times over, and redownloaded twice with no change.

UberPinguin

Sep 8, 2010
Cincinnati, Ohio
I guess this is as good a place as any. I haven't been able to find the answer in any related threads, but I was wondering if there is a special trick to getting Google Talk to use the front video camera in the fixed version linked in the OP. I've successfully connected with a friend of mine who has a Galaxy Nexus, but the PIP window showing my video has no option to switch to the front cam (in fact, it shows a lock icon instead).

The video transfers fine, but I just can't figure out how to switch cams. Again, I'm using the fixed version already, and I've flashed it several times over, and redownloaded twice with no change.

Not sure. I haven't actually gotten gTalk to even offer video chat to me yet, even with the "fixed" version. If I can get that part working, I can test it further.

murso74

Oct 30, 2010
ok couple of quick notes on the 4g. screen toggle doesn't seem to be able to turn off 4g.

turning on 4g doesn't disable wifi (dunno if this is good or bad)

hotspot doesn't use 4g to tether.

edit:: didnt' realize this was a new thread when i posted.. this is all addressed in the OP .. dur

rprockey

Jul 23, 2008
For New CM7 Epic Users

For users new to CyanogenMod 7.2, as the OP says, this is not TW and it's very true. You will notice some things are different. Many differences are enormously beneficial, here are some petty little things you may miss. :] CyanogenMod is also not Sprint specific and some carrier specific tweaks are required.

:: Single press on capacitive buttons does not have haptic feedback

:: Instead of voicemail notifications, you'll receive text messages from 9016, they are intended for the Sprint VVM app which is not included - AmericanJedi001 has solutions for you - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1436785

:: By default, holding 1 does not dial voicemail - Settings > Call settings > Voicemail settings > Change *86 to your phone#

:: By default, long text messages are not split into 160 char chunks and may be turned to nonsense - Messaging > Settings > Enable SMS split

:: Camera button may turn screen on if phone is not fully asleep - Resolved, flash nightly 14 or later.

:: *p00f* your smiley button is now an @ button - http://forum.cyanogenmod.com/topic/39546-cm7-discussion-of-nightlies/page__view__findpost__p__281607

:: LED charging indicator works differently, red while low, off while charging, weird color when charged

:: Video camera focuses differently - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21015903&postcount=974

:: Samsung dock audio redirection through USB is not supported in the stock CM7 kernel

:: VodooSound kernel extensions are not included in the stock CM7 kernel

:: CM7 doesn't have a function for updating your PRL - http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20927995&postcount=699

Frequent Flyers, PM corrections and other topics that get brought up time and time again and I'll try to address them here.

Last edited:

Migital Warfare

Oct 14, 2010
Riverside, RI
Not sure. I haven't actually gotten gTalk to even offer video chat to me yet, even with the "fixed" version. If I can get that part working, I can test it further.

Are you sure you have friends that have enabled video capabilities? Even that might not help, since when I changed my settings to enable video and voice chat, my friend still wasn't seeing the video cam icon next to my name on his list.

Speedin07si

Nov 15, 2011
Colonial Heights,VA
187d3678-8a22-e142.jpg

187d3678-8a3c-58c8.jpg

187d3678-8a49-2c7a.jpg

187d3678-8a6b-3c94.jpg

There is it. What once was said to be the furthest most unlike bug to fix.

Great work to everyone who made it possible. My offer still stands any of you (devs) come through Richmond, VA I'll get ya a few beers.

Sent from my Cyanogen Epic.

Reactions: billyp707

sonarchist

Mar 27, 2011
Washington, DC
4g is getting great signal here in DC, plus 4G notification 'check'............................cm7 zippy + responsive, this makes an amazing difference.......hats off to all of the devs that have contributed to this!..........you have outdone yourselves, well done!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using xda premium

djmeph

Dec 31, 2011
Detroit
djmeph.net
Getting 7108kbps from in my Anaheim office.
Native tether only uses 3g
Open garden is using 4g.
AWESOME

I'm actually getting 1500kbps in Detroit, which is 3x faster than I've ever gotten with wimax here. Is it possible that stock Froyo just didn't do a good job of handling the 4G signal, or is it more likely that Detroit got an upgrade?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    CRISIS AVERTED. NIGHTLY-9 IS EXPECTED TO BE SAFE. NORMAL PRECAUTIONS APPLY.

CyanogenMod is a free, community built distribution of Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) which greatly extends the capabilities of your phone.

THIS IS NOT SAMSUNG TOUCHWIZ AND NEVER WILL BE. DO NOT ASK ABOUT IT. THANK YOU.

Code:
    #include <std_disclaimer.h>
    /*
    * Your warranty is now void.
    * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards,
    * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please
    * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM
    * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if
    * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you.
    */

This is an AOSP-based build with extra contributions from many people which you can use without any type of Google applications. I found a link from some other project that can be used to restore the Google parts, which can be found below or elsewhere in the thread. I've still included the various hardware-specific code, which seems to be slowly being open-sourced anyway.

Visit the CHANGELOG for a full list of changes and features!

QBKing77 was kind enough to produce a couple of videos about Epic's CM7
    Please note that these were done before WiMAX was released.

How to Install

Review

INSTRUCTIONS:

- First time flashing CM 7 to your Epic (or coming from another ROM)?

1. Unlock/root your device and install Clockwork Recovery
    2. Do a Nandroid backup!
    3. WIPE
    4. Install the ROM
    5. Optionally install the Google Addon

- Upgrading from earlier CM7 or nightly build?

• Do a Nandroid Backup!
    • Install the ROM (your Google apps will be backed up automatically)

HOW TO REPORT BUGS OR PROBLEMS?

• Was it a soft reboot or a "boot loop"? Run "adb logcat" and get me the full output.
    • Pastebin links preferred

The current buglist:

• Native tethering does not work with WiMAX. Enabling either WiFi or USB tether will disconnect WiMAX until tether is turned off. Third-party wifi tethering apps are known to work.
    • WiMAX Toggle Widget is Broken.
      Attempting to use it may cause the notification bar to force-close. You can disable the widget entirely in the CyanogenMod Settings menu.
      WiMAX can be managed through the Wireless & Networks system setting screen.
      NOTE: There is a third-party WiMAX Toggle Widget on the Android Market. It is not free, but has been reported to work on NS4G. Work toward implementing a functioning native toggle widget is ongoing.

New Changes:

• WiMAX (uberpinguin, mkasick, wispoffates)
    • Fixed camcorder media profiles for smoother recording and better auto white balance. Also adds "HD" profile. (Decad3nce)
    • Torch toggle button in PowerWidget (noobnl)
    • New WiFi driver from Aries kernel. Fixes native WiFi Hotspot and toggle button.

Download Links

NIGHTLIES. FLASH AT YOUR OWN RISK.

md5sum: ddb0c474d8fbf2e8711938b903f7ce0b update-cm7.2.0-RC0-Epic-WiMAX-signed.zip

• Mirror 0 courtesy of Rodderik in irc.irondust.net/#epic.
    • Mirror 1 courtesy of bonsaikitten and dev.gentooexperimental.org.
    • Mirror 2 courtesy of Hydr0p0nX from irc.irondust.net/#epic.
    • Mirror 3 courtesy of Facebonez in irc.irondust.net/#epic.
    • Mirror 4 courtesy of likewhoa in irc.freenode.net/#gentoo-chat

GAPPS
    Download google applications

Google Talk with video addon

Thank you to EVERYONE involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging and documenting! Enjoy!

Changes:

• Fixed brightness control (noobnl)
    • WiFi Hotspot (decad3nce, noobnl, uberpinguin)
    • Fixed bad cached download mounts (noobnl)
    • Fixed overlay for video encoding/decoding (decad3nce & noobnl)
    • Fixed e911(mkasick)
    • Fixed most of the dhcpd clusterfuck(a couple more issues left)
    • Fixed init.d
    • Fixed cache errors
    • Fixed issues with logwrapper
    • MTD/yaffs2
    • Stage1/Stage2 inits
    • Updates from upstream
    • Backup/Restore fixed
    • Updated prebuilt modules
    • Compiled kernel from source MAJOR THANKS to mkasick and Rodderik
    • Fixed torch overlay
    • Fixed MMS overlay
    • Fixed incoming call routing
    • Fixed mic feedback/whistling
    • Adjusted APN for MMS - receiving works, sending fixed
    • Fixed application notification LED based on a tip from DRockstar
    • Fixed haptic feedback with a patch from jt1134

I recommend using the EI22 modem.
    Please note flashing someone else's kernel may ruin your experience with this rom and I advise against it. This rom is a result of many tiring hours from Decad3nce, noobnl, jt1134, Uberpinguin, nubecoder, mkasick, nullghost, dameon78, wispofattes, DRockstar, and many many other contributors.
    We're slowly closing in on, well, a cold and sweetly decadent dessert for all to enjoy.

So I'd like to take this opportunity to show off the idea by warren of a blog dedicated to the development process of CM for Epic

The blag can be found here: http://epiccm.blogspot.com/

Please feel free to abuse this centralized information hub directly from the group.
    I just want it to work. Not asking to get married for gods sake. If I have to drop down to 16bit textures, then this rom is total POS. This can do 70 million triangles a seconds! Ain't no effin way am I dropping down the beauty of the samoled screen just to make it scroll as good as eclair. No thxs. Bai.

Id rather buy a iphone before I drop down to 16bit.

thnx dis p0st if u cry evry tim.
    I will be here in a few minutes to clean this thread up.

There is an off topic lounge for chit chat if you want, but it doesn't belong in a development thread. That's the point of a DEVELOPMENT thread. If it's not pertaining to this rom, then don't post. If you need help finding the off topic lounge, I'll be glad to point you there.

Consider this a fair warning from this post on.

Thank you ;)

---Jay---
    Thread cleaned of the off-topic posts from the last few days.

Please keep it that way and don't make me be a jerk. I don't like it. :cool: