Please Help - Updated JB bootloader - can't boot

Search This thread

Kidd_Funkadelic

Mar 9, 2011
I just bought a new Infinity today to replace my Prime. I never bothered unlocking/rooting/etc the Prime but given I'm starting from scratch thought I'd go that route out of the box on the Infinity.

I've been carefully reading all of the guides, etc and have used the unlock tool, then created the nvflash backup files (which involves a custom bootloader first).

I then decided I'd take a stab at trying CleanROM Inheritance. One of the first notes indicates that the latest JB Bootloader is required, so I went ahead and downloaded the US JB Bootloader from the link and flashed as described. Now I can't boot up anymore. I can still get to recovery, etc, but I don't know what I should do next. Was this the wrong thing to do? Or did it not flash right?

What should I do next? I'm not new to flashing but w/ my Galaxy Nexus things have always gone pretty smoothly.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Note I tried the initial steps for custom bootloader when setting up for nvflash ( http://androidroot.mobi/t3_nvflash/ ) but it doesn't work this time around...

From the link:
"Now that you are in fastboot mode please run the following command to flash the AndroidRoot bootloader:-
$ fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash staging ebtblob.bin"

But this has no effect....

ALSO,

I had not accepted the software update from Asus yet so I was still on ICS. Does that have anything to do w/ my problem? What should I do?

Last edited:

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
I then decided I'd take a stab at trying CleanROM Inheritance. One of the first notes indicates that the latest JB Bootloader is required, so I went ahead and downloaded the US JB Bootloader from the link and flashed as described. Now I can't boot up anymore. I can still get to recovery, etc, but I don't know what I should do next. Was this the wrong thing to do? Or did it not flash right?

What should I do next?

Simply boot to recovery and install CROMI.

MartyHulskemper

Jun 5, 2008
EDIT: Note I tried the initial steps for custom bootloader when setting up for nvflash ( http://androidroot.mobi/t3_nvflash/ ) but it doesn't work this time around...

From the link:
"Now that you are in fastboot mode please run the following command to flash the AndroidRoot bootloader:-
$ fastboot -i 0x0b05 flash staging ebtblob.bin"

But this has no effect....

Are you on Windows? The "$" sign is not used under Windows -- have you tried typing "fastboot -I.... " ?

Kidd_Funkadelic

Mar 9, 2011
Simply boot to recovery and install CROMI.

Are you suggesting that the JB bootloader is not the issue? I would think if I get stuck at the asus screen then it doesn't matter what the ROM is.

Either way I'm stuck at the moment w/out adb and no SD card. I'm running out on my lunch break to pick one up, which should be all I need to get working again. To be safe I'm going to go back to the .30 ICS stock image first. Once I know that worked, I'll take another stab at CROMI.

_that

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Oct 2, 2012
Are you suggesting that the JB bootloader is not the issue? I would think if I get stuck at the asus screen then it doesn't matter what the ROM is.

My train of thought was this: You said you can still get to recovery. TWRP supports adb, so you can send the CROMI zip via adb (or use a microSD card if you have one), then install it. CROMI is based on JB, so it is compatible with the JB bootloader, and should boot fine after installation.

Kidd_Funkadelic

Mar 9, 2011
My train of thought was this: You said you can still get to recovery. TWRP supports adb, so you can send the CROMI zip via adb (or use a microSD card if you have one), then install it. CROMI is based on JB, so it is compatible with the JB bootloader, and should boot fine after installation.

Gotcha. I didn't realize TWRP supported adb. Anyway I was able to get back up and running w/ my nvflash backups, though I have to say finding info on actually using the backup files took a ton of digging and some trial and error... Now to try again at CROMI!

SilentOrchestra

Mar 17, 2013
I did something very similar and am not sure how to proceed. I have the latest version of twrp and my infinity is rooted + unlocked. It was running ics. I then found what was likely the same US jb bootloader link under a thread that gave instructions for installing cromi. After flashing the jb bootloader via recovery, I got a loading bar, then while attempting to boot is got stuck on the Asus screen. Rebooting leads to a reboot loop. I can still access twrp recovery. Flashing cromi or reflashing the same bootloader yields an error message.
I never did anything with nvflash.
What should I do next? Still kind of fresh to this.

FordPrefect

I did something very similar and am not sure how to proceed. I have the latest version of twrp and my infinity is rooted + unlocked. It was running ics. I then found what was likely the same US jb bootloader link under a thread that gave instructions for installing cromi. After flashing the jb bootloader via recovery, I got a loading bar, then while attempting to boot is got stuck on the Asus screen. Rebooting leads to a reboot loop. I can still access twrp recovery. Flashing cromi or reflashing the same bootloader yields an error message.
I never did anything with nvflash.
What should I do next? Still kind of fresh to this.

To me that sounds like an incompatible bootloader, e.g. ICS bootloader trying to load JB ROM. Could you check the bootloader version?

Tylorw1

Feb 10, 2013
Ohio
tylorhost.me
To me that sounds like an incompatible bootloader, e.g. ICS bootloader trying to load JB ROM. Could you check the bootloader version?

I agree, it seems you never updated to a JB rom. A JB boot loader needs a JB Rom, It seems the JB boot loader wont boot ICS. Just flash Cromi and you should be good.

Tylor

Sent from my ASUS Transformer TF700T Infinity Pad Using Tapatalk HD
Rom: CleanRom Inheritance 3.4.4 Odex
Kernal: Hundsbuah V2.0 OC 1.75 GHz
Theme: Timberwolf's Blues & Jazz Theme V1.9