[July 1][BOOTANIMATIONS][APP] Nexus 5 home of the Boot Box Project

Search This thread

overhauling

Aug 15, 2011

divider.png

Boot Box is a boot animation database, manager, creator, and more. The Nexus 5 is supported by Boot Box, this support thread will contain N5 device specific animations that are added into Boot Box, animations that are optimized for the N5's resolution, and device support information.

divider.png

Boot Box (v2.7) - Open BETA update released
Open BETA testing stage. Expect bugs.

[July 1] Changelog (v2.7)
  • New! Create a flashable zip backup of your currently installed boot animation.
  • If you're running a CM-based ROM, you may have trouble with backups.
  • New! Pre-load GIF previews - this improves the quality and speed of the preview, by far.
  • New! Polished UI and new app icon.
  • Updated Scrambler. The randomizer now works better with no simultaneous choices.
  • New! View animations for all resolutions under one list (lots of duplicates, for now).
  • Fixed bugs with the latest additions menu. Pending animations won't show unless specified under settings. Explicit animations won't show in this menu.
  • Attempted to fix a bug where valid ZIP files are erroneously reported as invalid (please test)
  • More boot animation list sorting methods!
  • More tiny bug fixes and tweaks.
  • Reminder: the Boot Box Factory is meant to create animations with up to 10 images.

screenshots.png

Some features of the Boot Box App:

• Dynamic Database. Animations are fetched and updated dynamically from a database on the Boot Box server.
  • Categories: show/hide certain animation categories
  • Upload your boot animations directly from the Boot Box app. The built-in Boot Box Uploader creates the required resources for you, including the GIF Preview.
  • Scrambler: allows you to play a different boot animation at every boot.
  • Boot Box Factory: create your own boot animations straight from Boot Box! Creating a static animation will allow you to show your favorite picture on boot up. Creating a Slideshow animation will allow you to display multiple pictures on boot up, each for a set amount of time!
  • Animations can be previewed via a YouTube video (if the uploader provides a link), via a GIF preview, or via a ZIP preview (the animation is downloaded and played in a simulated environment).
  • Load up a local animation from your SD Card and preview it, install it, or create a GIF from it (thanks to XDA Developer D4rKn3sSyS).
  • Flexible boot animation and cache locations for different devices.
Download Boot Box, Play Store Link (FREE):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.overhaulingmod.bootbox

G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109587463140312269110

divider.png

Boot Animations Collection
To add an animation download Boot Box and visit the Boot Box uploader, or post your animation here.

Nexus 5 branded additions to Boot Box and 1080x1920 animations will be posted here.
No Nexus 5 branded animations exist in Bb at this time.

divider.png

Hexagonal Tunnel by Admiral Potato

HexagonalTunnelAdmiralPotato.jpg

GIF Preview (actual animation is stretched to fit):
HexagonalTunnelAdmiralPotato.gif

Download this animation, and more, from Boot Box (Free, easy installation!):

or you can get it from here (not flashable! How-to install video by jgandroot).

divider.png

Follow me on Google+ to receive updates

Last edited:

overhauling

Aug 15, 2011
Does this affect any system files?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Only the bootanimation.zip file. Boot Box allows you to create as many backups of this file as you want.

Boot Box only needs root access to copy from and to the following directories:

• Installation location, can be set manually. Usually /data/local/bootanimation.zip or /system/media/bootanimation.zip (mounting rw)
  • Cache location, can also be set manually. /sdcard/BootBox by default.

To make sure that all functions will run properly, Boot Box checks for root access before downloading or installing an animation and when the app is launched.

dbareis

May 14, 2010
dennisbareis.com
Hi,

I found an ICS boot animation, the apps INFO button says Projected Resolution: 360x640, Image Format JPG, Number of Frames: 77

It previews perfectly. I click "Install Animation", it syas "Error Copying Files", Please make sure the installation location is accessible. It must be its previewing it. The "bootanimation" file is in the "\\DB-NEXUS5\sdcard\$DB$\media\Boot Animations\ICS BOOT ANIMATION" directory.

I don't have trouble installing the apps inbuilt animations.

Thanks for any pointers, really want the ICS animation :)

overhauling

Aug 15, 2011
Hi,

I found an ICS boot animation, the apps INFO button says Projected Resolution: 360x640, Image Format JPG, Number of Frames: 77

It previews perfectly. I click "Install Animation", it syas "Error Copying Files", Please make sure the installation location is accessible. It must be its previewing it. The "bootanimation" file is in the "\\DB-NEXUS5\sdcard\$DB$\media\Boot Animations\ICS BOOT ANIMATION" directory.

I don't have trouble installing the apps inbuilt animations.

Thanks for any pointers, really want the ICS animation :)

Hello!

Please try the latest version of Boot Box. Let me know if you still get the same error.

dbareis

May 14, 2010
dennisbareis.com
Please try the latest version of Boot Box. Let me know if you still get the same error.

Using the latest version on the play store:

1. if I use GDRIVE->"Internal Storage" it says "Only .zip files allowed"
  2. Using any other file manager I get an error message mentioning an "unwated space" (I'm assuming "unwanted" was intended). The filename is "bootanimation.zip" (no space), the path has spaces ("\sdcard\$DB$\media\Boot Animations\ICS BOOT ANIMATION").

Moving it to the root directory resolved neither of the 2 problems above. It's happy to preview the animation for the "unwated" space issue.

If I ADD a space to the one in the root directory, it says its removed a space...If I install the animation its thumbs up and I boot. My old animation has been removed, the new one doesn't work.

Bye,
Dennis

overhauling

Aug 15, 2011
Using the latest version on the play store:

1. if I use GDRIVE->"Internal Storage" it says "Only .zip files allowed"
  2. Using any other file manager I get an error message mentioning an "unwated space" (I'm assuming "unwanted" was intended). The filename is "bootanimation.zip" (no space), the path has spaces ("\sdcard\$DB$\media\Boot Animations\ICS BOOT ANIMATION").

Moving it to the root directory resolved neither of the 2 problems above. It's happy to preview the animation for the "unwated" space issue.

If I ADD a space to the one in the root directory, it says its removed a space...If I install the animation its thumbs up and I boot. My old animation has been removed, the new one doesn't work.

Bye,
Dennis

The "unwanted space" string has been corrected.

The animation installs successfully from the root directory but it doesn't work? Are you able to install animations that have been cached, or saved in the SD by Boot Box?

Does the animation work if installed manually?
@dbareis @TheEijk thank you for your feedback.

dbareis

May 14, 2010
dennisbareis.com
Apart from the spelling there is at least one more bug, with and without spaces I was getting unexpected behavior.

The animation installs successfully from the root directory but it doesn't work? Are you able to install animations that have been cached, or saved in the SD by Boot Box?
I tried "\sdcard\BootBox\Animations\Tibuk1080x1920.zip" (I'm amazed this is considered explicit), it has the same "Only .zip files allowed" issue but the animation is displayed on booting.

Probably but not sure how to do so. I tried something just as good though, I used the "Currently installed animation" and it was shown in the preview so its probably its installed OK, just not displaying. I have attached the zip file.

Attachments

• bootanimation.zip
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Reactions: overhauling

dbareis

May 14, 2010
dennisbareis.com
Hi,

I've got a bigger issue now... I used BootBox to create series of slides which previewed OK. This hangs my phone with the 2nd last picture displaying, I feel a vibrate shortly after.

I can get into ADB at this stage but don't know linux commands or Android internals, from Googling I thought this is what I could do:

* ADB SHELL
* su
* mount -o remount rw /system
* cd /system/media
* ls -l
* cp /sdcard/goodbootanimation.zip ./bootanimation.zip
* ls -l

I'm not sure "SU" is doing anything, the shell generally just repeats what I type and the googled solution of copy/pasting instead sometimes works. I'm not sure I need it anyway this is my command prompt "255|shell@hammerhead:/ $". (does that mean I have root access already?)

The mount fails with "mount: Operation not permitted". The copy fails with "cp: ./bootanimation.zip: Read-only file system"

I've now worked out how to install the drivers for ADB for recovery, while the driver loads ADB on windows can't see the device:

ADB.EXE shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
error: closed

I've also Tried Recover->Apply update from ADB", got "device not found".

I'm rooted with unlocked bootloader and stock everything else. I do not wish to factory reset and lose all my configuration..

Help....:crying:

Last edited:

overhauling

Aug 15, 2011
Probably but not sure how to do so. I tried something just as good though, I used the "Currently installed animation" and it was shown in the preview so its probably its installed OK, just not displaying. I have attached the zip file.

Install the animation on /data/local/ instead of /system/media/
If there's an animation in /data/local/, Android will automatically boot that one and ignore any other animation in /system/media/.

The slideshow should be working fine. How many images did you use?

Do the following http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50201803&postcount=11

Please let me know if it works out for you :)

dbareis

May 14, 2010
dennisbareis.com
Install the animation on /data/local/ instead of /system/media/
If there's an animation in /data/local/, Android will automatically boot that one and ignore any other animation in /system/media/.

I don't seem to have access to that directory once the phone has hung on the animation:

c:\ > ADB.EXE shell
Android Debug Bridge version 1.0.31

* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
shell@hammerhead:/ $ cd /data/local
cd /data/local
shell@hammerhead:/data/local $ ls -l
ls -l
opendir failed, Permission denied
255|shell@hammerhead:/data/local $ cp /sdcard/goodbootanimation.zip ./bootanimation.zip
cp: ./bootanimation.zip: Permission denied

It is not possible for me to follow those instructions due to the issues I described in my previous post :(

At this stage it doesn't appear to be a driver issue (which I resolved yesterday)

Last edited:

dbareis

May 14, 2010
dennisbareis.com
Do the following http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=50201803&postcount=11
Please let me know if it works out for you :)

I'm documenting what I'm doing in EverNote so this is it so far:
* Boot into Recovery on phone
* You will see an Android with a red triangle and "no command" this is normal
* Volume Down to select "apply update from ADB" and press power button
* You should probably hear/see Windows loading the device
* On windows try "adb get-state" it should respond with "sideload"). The usual ADB commands do not work!
* adb sideload kitkat_Bootanimation.zip (http://d-h.st/4kc)
* sending: 'kitkat_Bootanimation.zip' 100%
* Fails with messages on phone (MD5 matches and also fails with known good "Tibuke1080x1920.zip"):
* Verifying update package
* E:footer is wrong"
* E:signature verification failed
* installation aborted
* Solution to the above:
* ??????????????

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 PM ----------

It seems the "kitkat_Bootanimation.zip" gets verified against what is expected so perhaps this one is not from Android 4.4.2?

Anyone know where to get these?

Last edited:

overhauling

Aug 15, 2011
Thanks but I've already tried that one and it has the same issue (I just confirmed its MD5 to be 100% sure).

Did you install the Apple Static animation before experiencing this issue?

To fix similar issues I've installed Phillz Touch recovery (or any recovery with a file manager) and then I've used that file manager to delete the bootanimation.zip via recovery.

dbareis

May 14, 2010
dennisbareis.com
Did you install the Apple Static animation before experiencing this issue?

No, it may have been somewhat self inflicted through. The app doesn't allow you to modify a generated boot animation (from multiple static images), from what I could see, I thought I should be able to rename and swap 2 of the images, I did that. The preview worked perfectly (it should be using the same logic as the boot process so as to fail if it was going to at boot...).

To fix similar issues I've installed Phillz Touch recovery (or any recovery with a file manager) and then I've used that file manager to delete the bootanimation.zip via recovery.

I used a toolkit to boot into TWRP recovery and that then allowed me to flash the kitkat boot animation. I learnt a lot fixing this :)

Bye,
Dennis

googleygoggles

Dec 9, 2013
OnePlus 8T
???

I'm sorry but I am confused.... I made my own bootanimation.zip to try but every time I try to do the local boot animation from storage and pick my zip... It says only .zip are allowed... It is a zip and I know it works since I used before, with the app... Any suggestions? I find this app extremely easy to use and install boot animations... Any help would be appreciated!:D:D

Reactions: overhauling

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Boot Box is a boot animation database, manager, creator, and more. The Nexus 5 is supported by Boot Box, this support thread will contain N5 device specific animations that are added into Boot Box, animations that are optimized for the N5's resolution, and device support information.

divider.png

Boot Box (v2.7) - Open BETA update released
    Open BETA testing stage. Expect bugs.

[July 1] Changelog (v2.7)
    • New! Create a flashable zip backup of your currently installed boot animation.
    • If you're running a CM-based ROM, you may have trouble with backups.
    • New! Pre-load GIF previews - this improves the quality and speed of the preview, by far.
    • New! Polished UI and new app icon.
    • Updated Scrambler. The randomizer now works better with no simultaneous choices.
    • New! View animations for all resolutions under one list (lots of duplicates, for now).
    • Fixed bugs with the latest additions menu. Pending animations won't show unless specified under settings. Explicit animations won't show in this menu.
    • Attempted to fix a bug where valid ZIP files are erroneously reported as invalid (please test)
    • More boot animation list sorting methods!
    • More tiny bug fixes and tweaks.
    • Reminder: the Boot Box Factory is meant to create animations with up to 10 images.

screenshots.png

Some features of the Boot Box App:

• Dynamic Database. Animations are fetched and updated dynamically from a database on the Boot Box server.
    • Categories: show/hide certain animation categories
    • Upload your boot animations directly from the Boot Box app. The built-in Boot Box Uploader creates the required resources for you, including the GIF Preview.
    • Scrambler: allows you to play a different boot animation at every boot.
    • Boot Box Factory: create your own boot animations straight from Boot Box! Creating a static animation will allow you to show your favorite picture on boot up. Creating a Slideshow animation will allow you to display multiple pictures on boot up, each for a set amount of time!
    • Animations can be previewed via a YouTube video (if the uploader provides a link), via a GIF preview, or via a ZIP preview (the animation is downloaded and played in a simulated environment).
    • Load up a local animation from your SD Card and preview it, install it, or create a GIF from it (thanks to XDA Developer D4rKn3sSyS).
    • Flexible boot animation and cache locations for different devices.
    Download Boot Box, Play Store Link (FREE):

G+ Community: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/109587463140312269110

divider.png

Boot Animations Collection
    To add an animation download Boot Box and visit the Boot Box uploader, or post your animation here.

Nexus 5 branded additions to Boot Box and 1080x1920 animations will be posted here.
    No Nexus 5 branded animations exist in Bb at this time.

divider.png

Hexagonal Tunnel by Admiral Potato

HexagonalTunnelAdmiralPotato.jpg

GIF Preview (actual animation is stretched to fit):
    HexagonalTunnelAdmiralPotato.gif

Download this animation, and more, from Boot Box (Free, easy installation!):

or you can get it from here (not flashable! How-to install video by jgandroot).

divider.png

Follow me on Google+ to receive updates
    Thank you, looks very promising :good::good:
    Apart from the spelling there is at least one more bug, with and without spaces I was getting unexpected behavior.

I tried "\sdcard\BootBox\Animations\Tibuk1080x1920.zip" (I'm amazed this is considered explicit), it has the same "Only .zip files allowed" issue but the animation is displayed on booting.

???

I'm sorry but I am confused.... I made my own bootanimation.zip to try but every time I try to do the local boot animation from storage and pick my zip... It says only .zip are allowed... It is a zip and I know it works since I used before, with the app... Any suggestions? I find this app extremely easy to use and install boot animations... Any help would be appreciated!:D:D

Thank you for your feedback! a new version of Boot Box is being developed that will attempt to address this issue. Please join the Boot Box BETA program (start here).