How important are the DRM Keys?

Search This thread

Gnubaver

Apr 19, 2011
What does the functions do that is lost when unlocking the bootloader?

And do they make a big difference to the phones functionality?

Last edited:

ak800i

Dec 14, 2009
Belgrade
Samsung Galaxy A71
As i gather, you lose X-Reality and Bravia Engine functionality.
If you backup your TA I think you could restore them and relock bootloader.
Also if you're on 4.2 you will break your camera. 4.3 and up fixes this problem.

Hit thanks If I helped you :)

Reactions: Gnubaver

filozof_555

Mar 22, 2014
I saw someone post that if you unlock on KK (4.4.2) you wont lose X-Reality and Bravia.
Only the captured images are slightly different...

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth

Gnubaver

Apr 19, 2011
Something what you lose when you try to Unlock Your Bootloader.

---------- Post added at 12:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:44 AM ----------

No, to me they don't but my only concern is the loss of quality in pictures, this is the only thing which stop me from Unlock my Bootloader.

But you can just do a TA Backup?

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth
But you can just do a TA Backup?

Backup TA is just a Backup of your DRM keys, to not lose them permanently, so one day you want your phone back to Stock you have them and you can restore them BUT they are lost permanently when you Unlock Bootloader and they are not working, this do not effect the functionality of your phone but they affect the quality of your pictures. So apparently something they do.

Gnubaver

Apr 19, 2011
Backup TA is just a Backup of your DRM keys, to not lose them permanently, so one day you want your phone back to Stock you have them and you can restore them BUT they are lost permanently when you Unlock Bootloader and they are not working, this do not effect the functionality of your phone but they affect the quality of your pictures. So apparently something they do.

Wait a minute, first you say they are not lost permanently by doing a backup, and then you say "you can restore them BUT they are lost permanently when you Unlock Bootloader and they are not working"

wtf?

gregbradley

Retired Forum Moderator
Wait a minute, first you say they are not lost permanently by doing a backup, and then you say "you can restore them BUT they are lost permanently when you Unlock Bootloader and they are not working"

wtf?

Just a language barrier I think

You can backup your TA (Which contains the DRM keys)

If you unlock your bootloader you lose DRM keys

If you restore your DRM keys by restoring your TA you relock the bootloader

Basically its not possible to have DRM keys on an unlocked bootloader

eclyptos

Jun 14, 2008
Planet Earth

wtf?

Sorry for my bad english, :D

DRM Keys are lost permanently "when" or "after" Unlocking Bootloader, so they will not work anymore, right? because they are lost. Your phone still working well but something apparently is affected like the Quality of the pictures.

Like @gregbradley said, If you made a Backup TA you can restore them by Relocking Booloader, they are working only with Locked Bootloader.

So why Unlock Bootloader? to flash Custom Roms with Custom Kernels. To get just Root you don't have to do it and Restore TA (Bootloader) can be done on Stock Kernel only if not you can brick your phone.

I hope I clarified. :)

..also I wake up few minuts ago...:D

@Gnubaver I forgot one thing. Losing DRM Keys (Unlocking Bootloader) mean that some features will be affected or not working like BIONZ Processing, X-Reality and Bravia Engine.

Somebody said that after Unlock Bootloader on 4.4 the features still working. On 4.3 with some fix X-Reality is back, ecc...all this was not confirmed yet if it's true but I think many Devs are working on it. For sure there is a lost in Quality on Pictures because of BIONZ Processing, so at the moment I will not recommend to Unlock any Bootloader, if not on your own risk.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

wtf?

You can backup your TA (Which contains the DRM keys)

If you unlock your bootloader you lose DRM keys

If you restore your DRM keys by restoring your TA you relock the bootloader

Basically its not possible to have DRM keys on an unlocked bootloader
    As i gather, you lose X-Reality and Bravia Engine functionality.
    If you backup your TA I think you could restore them and relock bootloader.
    Also if you're on 4.2 you will break your camera. 4.3 and up fixes this problem.

Hit thanks If I helped you :)