OTA updates

Search This thread

tymansdaddy

May 8, 2011
Maryville TN
I'm running Skydragon rom 0.0.5 and was wondering how to disable OTA updates. I had friend with Note 2 on T-mobile and he never clicked on OTA update and his phone took it anyway and wiped his whole phone. I had to reflash stock rom thru odin to get it to even work. Another reason is that I had G flex before my G3 and when it updated to KitKat the battery life truly sucked. Any help will be appreciated.

dhonzik

Jan 3, 2011
I'm running Skydragon rom 0.0.5 and was wondering how to disable OTA updates. I had friend with Note 2 on T-mobile and he never clicked on OTA update and his phone took it anyway and wiped his whole phone. I had to reflash stock rom thru odin to get it to even work. Another reason is that I had G flex before my G3 and when it updated to KitKat the battery life truly sucked. Any help will be appreciated.

The following was provided by AutoPrime:

Open LG Hidden Menu (3845#*851#) --> WLAN Test --> OTA Setting --> OFF

(This worked on LG G2.. hopefully work on G3 but won't be confirmed until OTA comes out)

Look, instead of rushing to take an OTA to get the latest software.. think for a moment.
We do no know if the TMO D851 boot loader will stay unlocked in future updates. OTA's can update not only software..
but the boot stack as well.. enabling features to block downgrades.. close exploits.. and all sorts of fun stuff.

so.. instead of taking an OTA.. wait for the files to get posted so we can look at things first.. possibly only updating /system, /boot, modem (maybe tz/rpm)
without updating the rest of the boot stack. ya... do that.

zone23

Feb 16, 2009
If your running a custom rom and a custom recovery you shouldn't have anything to worry about. Last I knew your phone can't take a OTA with a custom recovery, unless thats changed.

bigkevbosky

Apr 13, 2012

Here's some help - post this in the right section, or in the Skydragon thread. Moron.

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Mostly none of the post in this phone area are in the right place. Mods need to just delete threads and punish them from posting for 2 weeks

AWESOME G3

I noticed all of the stock based kernels that belong in development are in the original development but I'm not going to be the one to point it out to the mods. I reported on a couple threads that were not in the correct spot and if I do any more I feel like I would be a nazi.

BACARDILIMON

Jun 12, 2010
MASTIC BEACH NY
I noticed all of the stock based kernels that belong in development are in the original development but I'm not going to be the one to point it out to the mods. I reported on a couple threads that were not in the correct spot and if I do any more I feel like I would be a nazi.
I hear ya. But sometimes it very annoying then I stop helping and become a wiseass lol. It helps kill time

AWESOME G3

tymansdaddy

May 8, 2011
Maryville TN
hey

Thanks for your help. Instead of being an a$$ like most of the other replies I got.

(This worked on LG G2.. hopefully work on G3 but won't be confirmed until OTA comes out)

Look, instead of rushing to take an OTA to get the latest software.. think for a moment.
We do no know if the TMO D851 boot loader will stay unlocked in future updates. OTA's can update not only software..
but the boot stack as well.. enabling features to block downgrades.. close exploits.. and all sorts of fun stuff.

so.. instead of taking an OTA.. wait for the files to get posted so we can look at things first.. possibly only updating /system, /boot, modem (maybe tz/rpm)

ThePagel

Jul 6, 2012
Minneapolis
Thanks for your help. Instead of being an a$$ like most of the other replies I got.

Here's the thing you have been a member for years you should know the rules by now (they are the same for EVERY phone). If you know the rules and post in the proper places this wouldn't happen. Some may be nice about pointing out your mistake others not so much. In the end you asked for it by posting this here so you won't find to much sympathy.

Ducter

Jan 10, 2009
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Seriously some of you need to grow the hell up and chill out. he posted in the wrong section. WOW.. someone shoot him in the head now. Seriously? There is less than 10 threads in the ENTIRE dev section for the tmo g3.... RELAX. breathe and tell yourself its gonna be ok.

Absolutely not true. At almost 6 million members can you imagine the chaos that would insue with no posting guidelines? A free for all of post where you want, what you want etc? Now I will say name calling is not appropriate either but honestly, and not that this makes it right but if you spend enough time on these forums you tend to get frustrated in repeating the basic rules that you agree to when you join and, at times, perhaps that it's expressed in a reply.

Basically 2 wrongs do not make a right, in the same instance not following the rules never makes a right. Simple enough, post where you are supposed too.

Reactions: ThePagel

decaturbob

Mar 30, 2011
Decatur

Ya.. I see that too. I don't like bugging the moderators too much. I wish posters would take some time to understand the rules...

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

mikeyinid

Sep 4, 2010
Boise

Who are you replying to? Nobody wants to take an ota, that's what his post is about.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here's some help - post this in the right section, or in the Skydragon thread. Moron.

Now how did THAT help anyone. Grow up.

Anyway....

I would imagine the dev already disabled it.. But I would assume if you wanted to make sure it is.. You can do what dhonzik said.

Here's the thing you have been a member for years you should know the rules by now (they are the same for EVERY phone). If you know the rules and post in the proper places this wouldn't happen. Some may be nice about pointing out your mistake others not so much. In the end you asked for it by posting this here so you won't find to much sympathy.
    Seriously some of you need to grow the hell up and chill out. he posted in the wrong section. WOW.. someone shoot him in the head now. Seriously? There is less than 10 threads in the ENTIRE dev section for the tmo g3.... RELAX. breathe and tell yourself its gonna be ok.

Absolutely not true. At almost 6 million members can you imagine the chaos that would insue with no posting guidelines? A free for all of post where you want, what you want etc? Now I will say name calling is not appropriate either but honestly, and not that this makes it right but if you spend enough time on these forums you tend to get frustrated in repeating the basic rules that you agree to when you join and, at times, perhaps that it's expressed in a reply.

Basically 2 wrongs do not make a right, in the same instance not following the rules never makes a right. Simple enough, post where you are supposed too.