[APP] SayMyName Dessert

Search This thread

TomTasche

Oct 8, 2009
Vienna
tomtasche.at
Hello,

At the moment I'm working on a new version of SayMyName Dessert. It's my first app (but it's already on the Android Market for more than a year :D) and I just can't stop developing it. Mostly, I blame my users for that. ;) You send me feature-requests, bug-reports, good feedback, bad feedback... even donations! :)

Currently there are two versions of SayMyName available at the Android Market. One for Cupcakes, and one for Donuts and beyond.
With the upcoming version of SayMyName, I want to merge those versions, fix old, very annoying bugs and add some often requested features.

Why I'm telling you that? Because I need even more feedback, more testers, more contributers :)D) and some guys who translate my app into various languages.

So, if you want to help me, please download the attached .apk and give me some feedback / requests / whatever comes to your mind. Just leave a reply here at xda or send me a mail. (tomtasche AT gmail)

Thank you very much :)
Tom

P.S.: If you want to try the old, buggy version of SayMyName, feel free to search the Android Market for "SayMyName Dessert".

edit:
I forgot to mention what this app is for. ;)

Official market-description:
"Want to know who's calling you without looking at your phone? SayMyName reads out loud the name saved in your adressbook and tells you who's calling.

- reads SMS, GMail and K9-Mail too
- very customizable
- discreet mode
- Locale Plug-in
- open-source
- supports non-latin languages too

See website for changelog, etc."

edit:
Changelog:
- reads nicknames!
- fixes, fixes, fixes.
- much more
- mute gestures
- read number-/mail-type (custom labels supported too!)
- auto translate messages (enable "translate")
- improved widget
- fixes
- pause music during speech on phones with Android 2.2
- sk, cs and de translations by David K. (thanks! :))
- supports people who can't find TTS Extended in Android Market / don't have access to Android Market

Planned features in near future:
- more translations (any volunteers?)
- bluetooth (maybe I found somebody who can help me! :))

edit:
If you want to help translate, download this file and translate the text between the tags:
Code:
<string name="...">TRANSLATE THIS</string>
Return the translated file to me afterwards.

Thank you very much
Tom

PS: Please let me know if you want me to mention your name / mail-address / website.

Attachments

• saymyname_appbrain_qr.png
    saymyname_appbrain_qr.png
    905 bytes · Views: 1,056
Last edited:

xdZKu7

Apr 3, 2010
I just tried the app for SMS notifications, but it gets interrupted by the notification. I'd like the notification to come first, followed by the announce and then the message. As it is now half the announcement gets killed by the notification.

I tried setting both Reading break and speech delay to 5 (seconds?), but the announcement started immediately anyway.

The app also seems to open a TTS-channel on start, causing noticeable hiss for a couple of seconds.

And the locale-plug-in, is it a separate download? Couldn't see it in Tasker even if I force-stopped it.

Your app seems to perform all the functions I want from TTS-notifications, now I only have to wait for the engine to not sound like a broken record in my language.

TomTasche

Oct 8, 2009
Vienna
tomtasche.at
I just tried the app for SMS notifications, but it gets interrupted by the notification. I'd like the notification to come first, followed by the announce and then the message. As it is now half the announcement gets killed by the notification.

I tried setting both Reading break and speech delay to 5 (seconds?), but the announcement started immediately anyway.
Nice, you found a bug! :D Little workaround until I upload the fix: set the speech delay in SayCaller Settings. ;)

The app also seems to open a TTS-channel on start, causing noticeable hiss for a couple of seconds.
Shouldn't happen in the next version too, thanks.

And the locale-plug-in, is it a separate download? Couldn't see it in Tasker even if I force-stopped it.
Locale Plug-In is made for Locale 1.0 (beta). I didn't update it yet, because I thought nobody would use it. :eek:
I'll note that on my ToDo-list, thanks!

Your app seems to perform all the functions I want from TTS-notifications, now I only have to wait for the engine to not sound like a broken record in my language.
Which Android version performs on your phone? Everything under 1.6 has a REALLY bad voice:

xdZKu7

Apr 3, 2010
Locale Plug-In is made for Locale 1.0 (beta). I didn't update it yet, because I thought nobody would use it. :eek:
I'll note that on my ToDo-list, thanks!

Tasker has Locale plug-in support. I would like to use Tasker to enable and disable your program whenever I place my phone in the car dock.

Which Android version performs on your phone? Everything under 1.6 has a REALLY bad voice:
[ YOUTUBE ]
Yup, that's the voice.... Froyo (CM6) on Nexus. Truth be told I don't really like the english voice either, it's just far too synthetic compared to some of the other TTS-engines out there:

AT&T Natural Voices

TomTasche

Oct 8, 2009
Vienna
tomtasche.at
Tasker has Locale plug-in support. I would like to use Tasker to enable and disable your program whenever I place my phone in the car dock.
I'll try to add Tasker-support on Friday. Thanks for the hint.

Yup, that's the voice.... Froyo (CM6) on Nexus. Truth be told I don't really like the english voice either, it's just far too synthetic compared to some of the other TTS-engines out there:
Unfortunately I'm not responsible for the voice. It comes from Android, but the AT&T sample is very impressive!

I've uploaded another update at the first post, which fixes speech-delay.

Thanks
Tom

edit:
By the way, you can change the voice in "Speech settings" (linked in SayMyName). Change the "Engine" to "Pico TTS" and you'll get a female voice.

Last edited:

xdZKu7

Apr 3, 2010
Unfortunately I'm not responsible for the voice. It comes from Android,

I do realise that. I'll just have to sit still and wait until either google, or someone else grants us a more pleasant engine. :)

I've uploaded another update at the first post, which fixes speech-delay.

Excellent.

A slightly more convoluted feature request: Do you think it would be possible to change the TTS-language based on which contact a text message comes from? Say for instance if the contacts had TTS=en_US or TTS=sv_SE or any other preferred language in the notes-section?

The reason for this request is of course that I receive messages in different languages depending on the contact, so if I just decide on a language half the time it'll sound even worse than necessary.

TomTasche

Oct 8, 2009
Vienna
tomtasche.at
I do realise that. I'll just have to sit still and wait until either google, or someone else grants us a more pleasant engine. :)

Excellent.

A slightly more convoluted feature request: Do you think it would be possible to change the TTS-language based on which contact a text message comes from? Say for instance if the contacts had TTS=en_US or TTS=sv_SE or any other preferred language in the notes-section?

The reason for this request is of course that I receive messages in different languages depending on the contact, so if I just decide on a language half the time it'll sound even worse than necessary.

Let's see what I can do for you. ;) I'll try on Friday.

Now I'm off till Friday. Thanks for testing! Keep reporting. :)

d11dog11

Apr 15, 2008
When I tried the old version from the market the notifications didn't pause the music or podcasts so the text reading was down out by the audio. Using btunes for music and google listen for podcasts. Any progress on this?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

TomTasche

Oct 8, 2009
Vienna
tomtasche.at
When I tried the old version from the market the notifications didn't pause the music or podcasts so the text reading was down out by the audio. Using btunes for music and google listen for podcasts. Any progress on this?

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App
Android should pause your music automatically if there's a notification-sound. But I'll see if I can pause music too. Thanks.

ScootyPuffJr1

Jul 22, 2010
Can't get any of these to work on my x10 mini (Android 1.6). Old version from Market works fine but when I install these and try to open them I get a popup saying "The requested item could not be found".

Any idea what's going on Tom?

EDIT: Tried the earlier .6.3 and it seems the app is trying to search the Market for "pname:com.google.tts" doesn't find anything matching that though and just sticks on that screen

EDIT 2: Couldn't find the files on Market but the newest version of it is here:

code.google.com/p/eyes-free/downloads/detail?name=tts_3.0_rc05.apk&can=2&q=

Sorry for the rambling post lol

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello,

At the moment I'm working on a new version of SayMyName Dessert. It's my first app (but it's already on the Android Market for more than a year :D) and I just can't stop developing it. Mostly, I blame my users for that. ;) You send me feature-requests, bug-reports, good feedback, bad feedback... even donations! :)

Currently there are two versions of SayMyName available at the Android Market. One for Cupcakes, and one for Donuts and beyond.
    With the upcoming version of SayMyName, I want to merge those versions, fix old, very annoying bugs and add some often requested features.

Why I'm telling you that? Because I need even more feedback, more testers, more contributers :)D) and some guys who translate my app into various languages.

So, if you want to help me, please download the attached .apk and give me some feedback / requests / whatever comes to your mind. Just leave a reply here at xda or send me a mail. (tomtasche AT gmail)

Thank you very much :)
    Tom

P.S.: If you want to try the old, buggy version of SayMyName, feel free to search the Android Market for "SayMyName Dessert".

edit:
    I forgot to mention what this app is for. ;)

Official market-description:
    "Want to know who's calling you without looking at your phone? SayMyName reads out loud the name saved in your adressbook and tells you who's calling.

- reads SMS, GMail and K9-Mail too
    - very customizable
    - discreet mode
    - Locale Plug-in
    - open-source
    - supports non-latin languages too

See website for changelog, etc."

edit:
    Changelog:
    - reads nicknames!
    - fixes, fixes, fixes.
    - much more
    - mute gestures
    - read number-/mail-type (custom labels supported too!)
    - auto translate messages (enable "translate")
    - improved widget
    - fixes
    - pause music during speech on phones with Android 2.2
    - sk, cs and de translations by David K. (thanks! :))
    - supports people who can't find TTS Extended in Android Market / don't have access to Android Market

Planned features in near future:
    - more translations (any volunteers?)
    - bluetooth (maybe I found somebody who can help me! :))

edit:
    If you want to help translate, download this file and translate the text between the tags:
    Code:
    <string name="...">TRANSLATE THIS</string>
    Return the translated file to me afterwards.

Thank you very much
    Tom

PS: Please let me know if you want me to mention your name / mail-address / website.
    A long time ago since you've heard me. BUT: i made the translation. You can find it here.
    I am unable to get any thing over Bluetooth headset either using the latest version posted on previous page

Hello,

Unfortunately we don't support Bluetooth at the moment, sorry. However, we're working on updates which should improve Bluetooth-support a little bit.

Tom
    Tom, On my Evo the latest versions the one on the previous page and the one on the market, do not speak the name then ring the ringer. They only speak the name while the ringer is ringing no matter what choice is made.

Hello,

This feature seems to cause a lot of problems at the moment. However, we're working on updates that should fix it. :)

Stay tuned
    Tom
    Hi guys!
    I'm trying the app on my LG Optimus One but the private mode (only when headphone is plugged in) doesn't work. :(
    Any idea?

Another problem I have is that while the phone's ringing if I press the volume button in order to silence the phone, Saymyname still say the caller name... it will be nice that when I silence the phone the app will silence too. Is it possible?

Many thanks and keep up the great work!
    Marco
    Hello,

Unfortunately discreet mode is currently broken, sorry. Try an older version (e.g. this one).

And enable "Show Mutescreen" in settings to fix your second problem. ;)

Tom