Anyone got a CWM backup handy?

Search This thread

daperson

Apr 29, 2012
I have failed rather spectacularly trying to reflash my phone using heimdall. (This has worked previously, but now it decided to break my phone)

Long story short, it will no longer flash the factoryfs.img of anything I try and make it flash (it fails at 42%, oddly). clockworkmod recovery mode still works (version 5.0.2.7), however I did not make a backup of the phone while it was in a workable state. When I attempt to install an update.zip file using clockworkmod I get an assertation failed error whinging that my build.prop file does not contain the proper device identifier string (Seems I managed to bork that, too).

I had the idea that I might be able to edit a factoryfs.img of an existing ROM and put in a build.prop file that has the required property, however have been unable to mount it. Those things seem to be structured oddly.

Using Odin is not an option. I do not have access to a windows computer.

Does someone have a clockworkmod backup of a working SGS2I9100, then? It is my hope that if I can procure one of these and stick it on the SD card clockworkmod will be able to load it (And then, provided this fixes the whole build.prop thing, I can install something from a zip).
Does there exist a way of editing build.prop from the computer? All I can seem to find are instructions of the form "Install this app and do it from your phone" - not much use when the thing won't boot.
Does anyone have any thoughts about why heimdall no longer works? It has worked before, but now, as I said, fails consistently at 42% of the way through factoryfs.img for whatever ROM I try to use.

Any other ideas? This thing's been bricked for a while now and I'm fresh out of ideas on how to fix it. Heimdall does seem to still be able to flash other things (just not factoryfs). So other plausible solutions would seem to be some way of flashing a working build.prop with heimdall or some update.zip of a working system that precludes the entirely sensible assertations that check the file.

daperson

Apr 29, 2012
Thank you all for your responses, but alas these all seem not to have worked :-

bored_stupid: As mentioned in my first post, I cannot use CWM recovery mode to install a zip from the sd card because of the assertation failure problem.

oinkylicious: Great idea! But rather strangely this had no effect on the problem - the same assertation failure error was always produced.

rocky23: That is certainly worth a try, but I wasn't kidding when I said I have no access to a windows pc. I really, really don't. Only Linux. (And it seems distinctly odd that I'd have to use Windows to fix the Unix based OS on my phone).

Thank you for the apk, however isn't that apk simply the clockworkmod recovery manager app? I am unsure how this is useful when my phone does not boot? Or did I miss something?
When I requested "a CWM backup" I was hoping for an actual system bacup, as generated by CWM recovery by it's "create backup" function. My reason for requesting this is that it is my belief that this would be installed without checking the (apparently broken) build.prop file, or at the very least would correct it so I'd be able to install an update zip in the usual way.

Thank you again - any other ideas?

daperson

Apr 29, 2012
In case it is helpful, the precise assertation failure error produced when attempting to install an update zip with CWM recover:
Code:
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-I9100" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-I9100" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "galaxys2" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "galaxys2"

As you can see, it appears the installer is (rather sensibly) checking that my phone really is a galaxy s2 I9100 (Which it is, I promise), and the phone seems to be incorrectly reporting that it is not.
As mentioned, I think this is because I managed to ruin my build.prop file somehow. Any ideas on how to correct that (Or any other alternative solutions)?

daperson

Apr 29, 2012
Potentially so, yes, unless work was done to prune that out at the start. I am unfamiliar with the structure of these backups - could one that consisted only of /system be created?

shadowofdarkness

Jun 11, 2010
In case it is helpful, the precise assertation failure error produced when attempting to install an update zip with CWM recover:
Code:
assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "GT-I9100" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "GT-I9100" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "galaxys2" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "galaxys2"

As you can see, it appears the installer is (rather sensibly) checking that my phone really is a galaxy s2 I9100 (Which it is, I promise), and the phone seems to be incorrectly reporting that it is not.
As mentioned, I think this is because I managed to ruin my build.prop file somehow. Any ideas on how to correct that (Or any other alternative solutions)?

You could just delete the part of the script that checks what deveice you are on.