[Q] [CM11] GPS no satellites

Search This thread

didierk

Apr 4, 2014
I have some issues with the GPS hardware on my Mini. Running CM11 nightlies (cm-11-20140404-NIGHTLY-m4, cm-11-20140419-NIGHTLY-m4)
Location mode is set to GPS device only. GPS Status App shows 0/0 satellites, on an open field with full sky-view.

Found some postings here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540385&page=13 with similar problems.
Tried rebooting with GPS on, rebooting, shutting down the phone and start again. Same problem.

Are there any known issues or possible fixes for this?

Thanks!

Didier

u-ra

Dec 7, 2010
I have some issues with the GPS hardware on my Mini. Running CM11 nightlies (cm-11-20140404-NIGHTLY-m4, cm-11-20140419-NIGHTLY-m4)
Location mode is set to GPS device only. GPS Status App shows 0/0 satellites, on an open field with full sky-view.

Found some postings here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540385&page=13 with similar problems.
Tried rebooting with GPS on, rebooting, shutting down the phone and start again. Same problem.

Thanks!

Didier

You'll need to provide logs, I'm afraid. Open a terminal on your phone, su to get root, and then execute "logcat > /sdcard/gps-logcat.txt", without the quotes. Then start your GPS app, but keep the terminal running in the background. When you're done, pull the /sdcard/gps-logcat.txt file and upload it somewhere.

Reactions: didierk

u-ra

Dec 7, 2010
Hi

Thank you for your reply. I used GPS Status for this example. But the problem exists with all GPS related applications (ie. OSMAnd)
I attached the logcat to this posting.
http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2730570&stc=1&d=1399468680

greetings
Didier

Uh, your logcat runs for less than half a minute and has no errors or warnings in it. You'll have to redo it, preferrably from a fresh boot.
As soon as the phone is up, do the procedure I wrote above, and then go about testing GPS. Let the logcat run in the background.

didierk

Apr 4, 2014
Hi

Ok, here it is. Recorded after a reboot and switching on the app GPS Status.

Thanks for your help!

Greetings
Didier

Attachments

• logcat3-gps.txt
    388.7 KB · Views: 33

u-ra

Dec 7, 2010
Hi

Ok, here it is. Recorded after a reboot and switching on the app GPS Status.

Thanks for your help!

Greetings
Didier

Show me a screenshot of your location settings. By the way, if you reply to my post instead of hitting 'post reply', I get a notification.

didierk

Apr 4, 2014

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-12-23-35-18.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-12-23-35-18.png
    81.2 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

didierk

Apr 4, 2014
Hi
I wonder why there are no recent requests for Location.
I made a new screenshot just after using the GPS Status App. Its listed then under recent apps.

Can you back up your data and try with a clean install?
I'll try ASAP!

Also, post a play store link to the app you were using to test.
And this is the app I used:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2

But the same problem exists with other GPS apps (ie. OSMand)

Thanks for your help!

greetings
Didier

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-13-10-51-12.png
    Screenshot_2014-05-13-10-51-12.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 92

didierk

Apr 4, 2014
Hello

Can you back up your data and try with a clean install?
So, here are the results. Cleaned Data/System/Cache/Dalvik and installed a fresh nightly (cm-11-20140513-NIGHTLY-m4) and the GPS Status app.
Result: Exactly the same :-/

After that I thought maybe my device has a broken HW, you never know. But after I restored the Stock ROM and installed GPS Status, I had a GPS fix within some seconds under open sky.. See screenshot (taken after being indoor again)

Now since I knew that the GPS just worked, I tried again with CM11 nightly (same as above). Cleaned everything again, installed it and the GPS Status app but, I guess you know what happened - No working GPS again :(

I restored my saved before nandroid again and would be very glad if you could lead me in a direction what I could do to get the GPS working with CM11.

Thanks alot!

Greetings
Didier

Attachments

• gps-stockrom.png
    gps-stockrom.png
    193.6 KB · Views: 157

didierk

Apr 4, 2014
Hi

Me again. Now totally confused.. Don't ask me why,but like magic, the GPS started working some minutes ago with CM11! :)
I changed nothing compared to earlier, but for some reason the satellite count was now 0/22 (0/0 before) and as I went outside I had a fix within some seconds.

Greetings
Didier

ozmad

Jun 14, 2014
Mine was fixed by enable/disable wifi tathering

I have no idea why.
(I saw this trick in some Lenove-mobile forum)

[edit]
it was fixed and it doesn't any more..

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks!

Didier

You'll need to provide logs, I'm afraid. Open a terminal on your phone, su to get root, and then execute "logcat > /sdcard/gps-logcat.txt", without the quotes. Then start your GPS app, but keep the terminal running in the background. When you're done, pull the /sdcard/gps-logcat.txt file and upload it somewhere.