[Q] An Android Gingerbread App not working in later versions

Search This thread

eklavya1205

Jun 16, 2014
Hi friends,

I need advice on a pressing issue I am facing right now about an android app I got developed through a freelancer.

I am webmaster of a website for numerology enthusiasts. On this website, we were offering a numerology calculator (basically a combination of html pages with some javascript embeded - all compiled in an .exe format) Later, on some suggestions, we decided to prepare an Android version of this tiny program by hiring a programmer of South India. It was 2011 and the Gingerbread was the prevalent Android platform. The programmer created the App and we published it on Android Market where it is still available on playstore (search for com.namecalculator.lite on playstore and the first result 'Your Lucky Name' is the app in question.)

The problem is that this was an app which was not compatible with the later version of Android. As such, after sometimes, when the ICS version of Android was launched, the app stopped working for ICS devices. As of now, except for some old Android devices, this App is useless.

When I contacted the guy who originally developed this App, he told that the source file of the Apps were not saved by him and as such, he expressed his inability to do anything about it. He told me that if I again wanted him to develop the app for later versions of Android (like ICS, Jellybean etc), I will have to pay him the full development fee as he will have to start again from scratch.

Since my website is only a hobbyist website with negligible revenue, it was not possible for me to again hire this programmer just to develop an upgraded version of the app.

As of now, a very popular part of my website (the app) has become unavailable for its intended users. In this background, I want guidance on the following:-

(1) If an App is already built for an earlier Android version, does making it compatible with future/latest version of Android require the same amount of energy and effort which was needed when the app was developed the first time?

(2) Since the App in question is basically a compilation of html files with some javascript embeded in some pages, will it be really difficult to reconstruct the app if the source file of earlier app has been lost ?(I still have the raw html pages with me)

(3) I am not a programmer but have experience of web-designing, creating blogs etc. Can I self taught myself to create the above mentioned app by reading and following the online tutorials ? If yes, what in your opinion is the expected time an average learner (with no programming background) can do it? Also kindly point me to some good tutorials.

(4) Any other advice on the above issue some of you might be having ?

Regards

Eklavya