Bell phones and the lack of 3 button combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

greeced

Jan 26, 2010
I'm starting a new thread because it doesn't necessarily fall in to unlocking of the phone (as I've been asked).

I'm guessing any new purchases of this phone will have the recovery/download 3 button combo feature completely disabled.

The reason why I say this is that I've been to 5 different stores between yesterday and today (with the most recent one having a stock amount of 9 phones) and here are my findings:

Every single boxed up phone has the feature disabled. (All I did was have them install the battery (no sim or anything) and pass the phone to me).

However, every one of those 5 stores that I went to, I did it flawlessly on their demo phones.

So my guess is, as the demo phones would have been the first batch Bell provided (and some being on display before any actual product released to the public), all subsequent batches of these phones will have this feature disabled.

I went to 2 different best buys that have ample stock of the phones because it is onsale this week, and none of them worked... nor did they work at the future shop I attended or the 2 bell stores (including the one I purchased and returned initially).

But every single demo did.

So if anyone got their hands on the very first batch of phones and it works then you're a lucky one. For the rest of us, I think we are S.O.L.

There's got to be a way to do it... Anyone know a Bell Representative or better yet a person inside samsung that will leak that info to you?

Heck I don't even want to unlock the phone. I'll stay on Bell's network, I just want to be able to load new versions of Android without any risk of bricking my phone.

Beast11

Mar 25, 2009
Dublin
Thank you! It was annoying reading all those posts abt this in that thread.

And I'm not too sure that the new phones don't have it. There have been a few people on the thread that have said that they got the phone at launch, and it didn't have the feature, but when they went to return it and get a new one (from the new shipment) it was fine...

So really I dont think its very easy to tell if its gonna work or not...

greeced

Jan 26, 2010
I think I'll wait til september to buy the phone.

I don't care too much about custom roms and the like, the stock one is fine, but Bell has a history (See the i7500L) of not updating their firmwares in a timely fashion. The i7500L is still on 1.5. Terrible if you ask me, considering the "open-source" feel of android.

So there are rumours, I don't know if its true or not, that bell is going to have an official 2.2 update in september. Maybe then I'll buy it and by then all phones will have the 3 button combo on them.

I just went to a local future shop here, and the phone representative contacted their Bell Rep, who was at another store, he couldn't do it on the phones they had there, but promised to call Samsung on Monday to find out if their is an alternate way.

Maybe you have to hit a reset button along with it. I remember doing something similar on my old HTC diamond phone, maybe this is the same thing (sort of).

Too bad, I loved this phone all the 4 days I had it (up until reading about the 3 button combo). I sort of miss it.

greeced

Jan 26, 2010
I just put a call in to Samsung to find out why some work and some don't, they said because the phone was so new that I had to call a number specifically set up for support on the Galaxy S but they are only open Monday to friday..

So hopefully with all this calling around I'm doing something will be figured out.

arr0ww

Jul 19, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I got my Vibrant on launch day, 3 button combo didn't work. Swapped it out for a new one, from a new shipment last Thursday (august 12th) 3 button combo works.

greeced

Jan 26, 2010
arr0ww,

Can you confirm what i've been reading on wiki then?

It states:

"Note: There are many Bell I9000M floating around with this feature disabled, without the Download Mode enable you wont be able to restore from a failed firmware flash. We highly recommend you to take it back and exchange it for a model that can work properly with the 3 button combination. The first batch from around Aug 5 or Serial # ending with 6000000 have the 3 buttons combo disabled, the new batch after Aug 11 with Serial # ending with 6500000 have the working 3 buttons.

example of full Serial # 89302610202006500000"

Do your last 7 digits end with 65 and not 60?

Also, where did you get yours exactly? I think if its close to me, I'll just pop by that store and get it (assuming your somewhere in the GTA).

wang1chung

Aug 9, 2010
toronto
it shouldn't be hard to fix the issue. from what i've read, and people have said, the 3-button combo is written into the SPL part (256kb) part of the Nand. all we would theoretically have to do is flash our SPL with some else's 3-button enabled SPL. now two of my friends bought their phones same day as me, and have theirs enabled, and both are rooted, so it's not hard to get our hands on a copy.

i have posted another thread in the software technical section about this and haven't gotten any replies (maybe it's the wrong section). the g1 users flash their spl, but they don't talk about how to make an image of the current spl. so i'm stuck here. i know it can be done, just don't know how yet.

apparently nandroid backup doesn't backup the spl, so that's useless to us. from the SPL backup kit for the g1 users, i read the batch file, and it reads specific hex addresses in the nand and writes them to a file, but i would assume these addresses are different for our nand. so once again, useless.

greeced

Jan 26, 2010
For all those that have their 3 button disabled... can you confirm if your serial ends with 60XXXXX? Maybe its limited to just that batch of s/n's.

As for wang1chung.. hopefully its a simple fix.. but i'll refuse to buy one again unless I get one that is confirmed working or easily fixable to get it working without a cable.

Thanks

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
this would be nice

problem is, no one has been able to get a way to extract, and flash back the good SPL to the bad phones

it shouldn't be hard to fix the issue. from what i've read, and people have said, the 3-button combo is written into the SPL part (256kb) part of the Nand. all we would theoretically have to do is flash our SPL with some else's 3-button enabled SPL. now two of my friends bought their phones same day as me, and have theirs enabled, and both are rooted, so it's not hard to get our hands on a copy.

i have posted another thread in the software technical section about this and haven't gotten any replies (maybe it's the wrong section). the g1 users flash their spl, but they don't talk about how to make an image of the current spl. so i'm stuck here. i know it can be done, just don't know how yet.

apparently nandroid backup doesn't backup the spl, so that's useless to us. from the SPL backup kit for the g1 users, i read the batch file, and it reads specific hex addresses in the nand and writes them to a file, but i would assume these addresses are different for our nand. so once again, useless.

sp991

Aug 4, 2009
Montréal
Hey guys, are you still able to start in recovery mode with a cable and ADB. I would like to know cause my G-sensor is dead and I went to Best Buy to exchange it and the phones were all lacking this mode.

I didn't swap ysterday because of this but I have to do something before aug. 20. After that I will have to see with bell what they want to do and it will surely go for a repair. I would prefer to have a new one working right away but the lack of recovery mode is discouraging me.

wang1chung

Aug 9, 2010
toronto
my s/n is 52xxxxx and 3button is disabled

sp991, recovery mode is still accessible via adb to those with the 3button disabled.

allgamer, i only suggested that as no one else had suggested anything else? i assumed it would be possible since the g1 users can read their spl via the command " pmemdump -a 0x8c000000 0x40000 " and save it to a .nb file to update later. maybe this would be better accomplished in the hands of talented coders/developers.

Last edited:

karakake

Aug 4, 2010
I exchanged my first i9000m coz the download mode wasn't working.

The second one I got two days ago goes into download/recovery mode without problem!! This one has IMEI ending with 65xxxxxx and manufactured in Aug.

I also tested new one at Bell store today which had IMEI # 65xxxx as well, but it didnt go into download mode. The guy at the store said it was the newest batch as they received it yesterday, and now i'm totally confused....coz I thought all newer batchs are download mode enalbed..

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
Hey guys, are you still able to start in recovery mode with a cable and ADB. I would like to know cause my G-sensor is dead and I went to Best Buy to exchange it and the phones were all lacking this mode.

I didn't swap ysterday because of this but I have to do something before aug. 20. After that I will have to see with bell what they want to do and it will surely go for a repair. I would prefer to have a new one working right away but the lack of recovery mode is discouraging me.

do you have any other best buy store that you can go to?

try testing with the Download mode, it's easier than testing with the Repair mode

the Download mode kicks in right away, after you put in the battery, and do the 3 button test
http://xdaforums.com/wiki/index.php?title=Samsung_Galaxy_S/Vibrant_GT-I9000M

check the wiki for some visuals

you can do it even with the plastic back and screen protector on top

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
I exchanged my first i9000m coz the download mode wasn't working.

The second one I got two days ago goes into download/recovery mode without problem!! This one has IMEI ending with 65xxxxxx and manufactured in Aug.

I also tested new one at Bell store today which had IMEI # 65xxxx as well, but it didnt go into download mode. The guy at the store said it was the newest batch as they received it yesterday, and now i'm totally confused....coz I thought all newer batchs are download mode enalbed..

that's exactly what we are trying to find out, to see if there is any pattern

but if the one you tested with 65xxxxxxxxxxx didn't work, then i guess we can't really identify it via the serials numbers, and only can be tested manually.

TriC_101

Jan 28, 2010
London, Ontario.
Try downloading the new firmware for bell the JH2 that you can download via Kies this might fix the 3 button combo for people have issues. as the recovery screen is a bit different. give your a warning now that you have entered the system menu. the old recovery screen did not have this.

Someone that can't get into recovery should try this update..

wang1chung

Aug 9, 2010
toronto
no dice, just updated :(

EDIT: what's worse is i thought it would've at least helped with the gps lag, and now i can't find my location at all. under the gps performance testing option, i can't pickup any satellites whatsoever.

i'm pissed now, as i needed it to go on a roadtrip tomorrow

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.