Concerning the dual core CPU

Search This thread

Lucky_Slevin

Jan 11, 2014
I'm thinking of buying either the moto x or nexus 5 for my wife since they hover around the same price.

I am worried that the phone might feel sluggish later down the road.

I like the touchless controls but the moto x is more expensive than its more powerful older brother.

I love my nexus 5 but I need your honest opinion about performance.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

saucyross

Jul 8, 2013
I'm thinking of buying either the moto x or nexus 5 for my wife since they hover around the same price.

I am worried that the phone might feel sluggish later down the road.

I like the touchless controls but the moto x is more expensive than its more powerful older brother.

I love my nexus 5 but I need your honest opinion about performance.

I made the switch 2 weeks ago, from an HTC One. Nothing was wrong with the One, it was just too big for my hands. I love the X. I couldn't be happier with it. I get no stuttering, no freezing, no bad experience at all. I'm sure others will disagree, but I can't tell the difference between the 1080 screen on the HTC and the 720 on the X. I like Motorola's take on Stock Android. I

D

Darth

For your wife...unless she's a flashaholic....the Moto x will be a far better user experience. ;)

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Also....to an average phone user....the x is as fast as any.

rebretz000

Jul 11, 2012
Magrathea
For your wife...unless she's a flashaholic....the Moto x will be a far better user experience. ;)

---------- Post added at 02:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:28 PM ----------

Also....to an average phone user....the x is as fast as any.

This above. I love my Moto X. I didn't notice any difference between it or my S4.

Lucky_Slevin

Jan 11, 2014
I'm just concerned her moto x may become obsolete with only a dual core processor within the year.

She loves to multi task.

She loves the features of the X but wants a no non sense multi tasking device.

D

Darth

I'm just concerned her moto x may become obsolete with only a dual core processor within the year.

She loves to multi task.

She loves the features of the X but wants a no non sense multi tasking device.

LOL. Nothing out there today can slow the x down. You need to understand how its made. It's highly optimised and has 2 other cores for other tasks.

It won't slow down any more than any other phone might in the future.

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:32 PM ----------

You want to get her a barbaric Dodge viper or a classy Ferrari ....that's the difference.

What's an N5 without Modding and flashing....
Nothing spectacular.

My wife hated android after her s2 which she gave away to go back to her iPhone 4. Then she played with my X.....guess what she wants for her birthday next month. ;)

Lucky_Slevin

Jan 11, 2014
I consider it more of a Porsche 911 slant nose turbo widebody ;) and I think the moto x is a WRX/EVO.

OK since the performance question has been covered, what about the screen ? Sharpness compared to a 400+ pixel screen ?

D

Darth

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2646556

There's a few opinions.

Basically every reviewer loved the overall experience of the Moto x that I've seen on the web.

The N5 is powerful and has a lot of roms. That's about all its pros.

The X is a polished and quality phone with exclusive Moto features. Near vanilla. And most can't tell the difference between the screens on devices this small. TV's sure....but not phones.

Unless she likes to flash stuff, the Moto x is clearly the better phone for average users. (Non xda types).

And battery......can't beat the battery on many phones. Had to throw that in. Lol

---------- Post added at 06:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:43 PM ----------

Granted....I'm rooted and tweaked for battery life....but few, if any, N5's can pull off these stats. Yes...this was a record day...but look at the averages at the bottom. I consistently get 30 hours or so with 5 1/2 to 6 hours screen time.

Also....do you see any complaints of quality issues in the x forums? Aside from average camera....comparable to the N5. I know for a fact the N5 forums have many build quality complaint threads. ;)

byjedyma.jpg

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

And I'll bet you....if she gets one....you may eventually get a little jealous after being around it. Lol

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:51 PM ----------

Don't get a regular Verizon or at&t tho. You can't unlock their boot loaders. Stay away! Lol

Lucky_Slevin

Jan 11, 2014
I'm in Canada so no worrying about big red lol .

Build quality is great on my nexus :p.

What's screen on time for the moto X like?

Right now I'm sitting at 4h30 minutes at 16% left at max brightness and LTE enabled.

eksasol

Nov 22, 2009
For your wife, Moto X is a better choice. It have Moto Maker so you can customize a color she wants. I consistently get 5+hours of screen on time with the Moto X, this is what matters, what's the point of all the power if you run out of juice before the day is over. The form factor is better to hold and is smaller in size without sacrifying screen estate.

The Moto X is well optimized and so is KitKat, it will run smoothly down the road. You can enable "ART" which will give the phone a bit more smoothness. There are people who came from Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note 3 which are much faster devices but complaining it's laggier than the Moto X due to the bloatwares and TouchWiz interface. The Moto X run stock Android so it's a lot lighter. Also since it has 720p screen instead of 1080p it doesn't require as much performance.

The Nexus 5 is also a great phone, you get unlimited freedom with flashing. You can't go wrong with either one, but the Moto X to me have more useful features going for it. It really depend on what you're looking for since they're both good phones. In this case since it's your wife, unless she's really into custom roms and tweaking Android OS, the choice is obvious.

Last edited:

Lucky_Slevin

Jan 11, 2014
I thought it did not run stock android ?

My wife's coming from a Xperia Z which surprisingly she loved. She doesn't like apple. Hates Samsung (feels cheap) and was considering the HTC one but doesn't like the capacitive buttons. ( women are strange creatures )

No moto maker in Canada. I contacted Motorola US and they said they would only ship to an American address :( .

D

Darth

I thought it did not run stock android ?

My wife's coming from a Xperia Z which surprisingly she loved. She doesn't like apple. Hates Samsung (feels cheap) and was considering the HTC one but doesn't like the capacitive buttons. ( women are strange creatures )

No moto maker in Canada. I contacted Motorola US and they said they would only ship to an American address :( .

Moto x is stock android. Just a few Motorola apps thrown in. There's no touchwiz or HTC like ui overlay.

Yeah, I'm in Canada too. No Moto makers here. The Rogers versions are all over kijiji...some new too. Mine was unwrapped. I bought it, bought a telus nano sim. Before I activated the sim I bought an unlock code off a site. Waited a few hours for it. Got it...sim unlocked the phone and then activated my nano sim on the telus website. And boom it worked.

The next day I unlocked the bootloader, rooted, installed xposed and gravity box.....and have no desire to flash any roms now. Lol

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Only way to get Moto maker is if you know an American you can ship it to.

nhizzat

Mar 12, 2011
Google Pixel 3
OnePlus 6T
I consider it more of a Porsche 911 slant nose turbo widebody ;) and I think the moto x is a WRX/EVO.

OK since the performance question has been covered, what about the screen ? Sharpness compared to a 400+ pixel screen ?

I appreciate your analogy as that is my favorite Porsche of all time and I'm a long time Subaru owner.

I think the Nexus 5 is more like the STi while the Moto X is like a s206. Basically the same car but the s206 is optimized with some choice additions which make it that much better.

Maybe a better analogy would be the Nexus 5 is like a 911 Turbo S and the Moto X is like a GT3 (maybe even the RS ;)). The GT3 is down on power but it's a better overall driving experience. The quad core GPU of the Moto X is like the combination of the GT3's upgraded suspension/tires/aero with a lower curb weight, the dual core CPU is like the high-revving flat 6, and the remaining low power dual core relates to the PDK. While some night not want the Touchless Controls and Active Display (which I can relate to the PDK and engine type) because they'd rather have the brute power of twin turbos and the feel of a manual, others will want the instantaneous shifts of the PDK and a 9k redline NA engine.