mediaserver eating data

Search This thread

tony yayo

Oct 15, 2010
Chicago
Saw today that mediaserver used almost 120 mb of data in the last 24 hours. If it does that every day that's almost 4 gigs in a month. Not sure if it really does happen every day since I just noticed it but that's almost as much as I used for FB, internet, and YouTube combined. I have unlimited data so that's not an issue but I could surely see how that could eat up battery. I've noticed my data usage has been extremely high but since I'm not rooted I can't dig deeper into the issue.

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same?

og.blaah

Jul 1, 2012
Something seems wrong. I just checked mine..under battery settings, I have used 384bytes.... practically nothing.

(0\_!_/0)

tony yayo

Oct 15, 2010
Chicago
Something seems wrong. I just checked mine..under battery settings, I have used 384bytes.... practically nothing.

(0\_!_/0)

Strange. Didn't use any data all day until I watched a few videos, thought it had something to do with Hulu or Break.com, haven't used any other media and again, it's another 100 mb today. WTF?

og.blaah

Jul 1, 2012
You might have an app that is staying on in the background. I would try a back-up, master reset, then slowly install the apps...you might find the bad app...??

(0\_!_/0)

jdidtht

Sep 23, 2012
minneapolis
Saw today that mediaserver used almost 120 mb of data in the last 24 hours. If it does that every day that's almost 4 gigs in a month. Not sure if it really does happen every day since I just noticed it but that's almost as much as I used for FB, internet, and YouTube combined. I have unlimited data so that's not an issue but I could surely see how that could eat up battery. I've noticed my data usage has been extremely high but since I'm not rooted I can't dig deeper into the issue.

Just wondering if anyone is experiencing the same?
media server. do u have any auto syncs on for photos? like drop box auto sync, Google plus, Picasa etc etc. any thing like that would be auto loading photos in the background. that whatnot sounds like to me man

tony yayo

Oct 15, 2010
Chicago
media server. do u have any auto syncs on for photos? like drop box auto sync, Google plus, Picasa etc etc. any thing like that would be auto loading photos in the background. that whatnot sounds like to me man

My syncs are a very short list. 100mb a day for album art? I doubt it, haven't added anything in months. Google+ isn't set for automatic uploads. I do that manually.

Only thing I can imagine is that it is from wifi tethering but from any search I've done I can't see any links to that. I'm not as much of a pro as most people around here but I'm pretty sure my google-fu is working ok. It has to have something to do with wifi tethering cause it only shows up when I'm using it but I can't be for sure. That's why I asked here, hoped someone could confirm my suspicions but no one has yet.

I still don't understand how when I look in settings>data usage it's showing 15 gigs of usage when I haven't used my 3gig limit? Admittedly I have not been able to use wifi this month since I haven't been at home for most of it but still can't see how my data usage has quardrupled. Again, I have unlimited data so that's not a worry for me but it has to be giving my battery life a hit.