What is the point of wireless charging?

Search This thread

whmcal

Jul 18, 2008
Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the fuss about wireless charging. Why did Nokia choose this function to focus on in their marketing? I cannot understand why no one is commenting on this. Please, if I am wrong, someone correct me on my argument below. I don't actually own a charging plate, so maybe I don't fully GET the benefits of using one. Anyway...

In my opinion, there's very little difference between so-called wireless charging and conventional charging, . You still need a wire. The Fatboy pillow charger etc, needs a wire. That means you are still restricted with regard to your chosen location of charging. There are no less wires. The phone doesn't suddenly charge ten times faster on a charging plate. What is the fuss about. I am all for improvement in technology in terms of enhancement of user experience.

Yes, we hope that one day, tube/ train arm rests, car dashboards or plane seats (for example) might have charging plates built-in, so we can charge whilst we're on the move. However, right now, it really does all seem like a bit of gimmickry

Ikkari

Mar 18, 2009
You can just put your phone down on the plate... and it will charge.. you
don't need a ugly cable laying around your desk... and when your phone rings
you can just grab it without thinking about taking of a cable because it's to short...

I near feature there will be charging plates in coffee shops and restaurants.. maybe trains and so on...

There is also this JBL Speaker with NFC and wireless charing.. you can just
put your phone on it and it will charge and automatically connect via NFC and bluetooth...

For me wireless charing is not a must... but it is a nice feature to have...
In near future there will be more possibilities with this technology....

Maybe in 6-7 years our smart phones will have a full blown OS like Windows 8... and a the power storage of a modern laptop... And your most of us won't need a desktop PC anymore...
You just put down your phone on a connection plate... and it charges and connects to your 24" Monitor with a full blown OS....

Wireless charing is maybe a little bit a gimmick now... but big things start small... and innovation is driven by combining different technologies to create something new... and my opinion is... wireless charging will be very important in near feature...

It's all about to make your battery last without having to connect it every time to this stupid charger...

You could have a suitcase or a jacket with a extra battery and a "charging pocket" just slide in your smartphone in it's pocket and it could charge...

Reactions: muhrizky

Ikkari

Mar 18, 2009
AW: What is the point of wireless charging?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand the fuss about wireless charging. Why did Nokia choose this function to focus on in their marketing? I cannot understand why no one is commenting on this. Please, if I am wrong, someone correct me on my argument below. I don't actually own a charging plate, so maybe I don't fully GET the benefits of using one. Anyway...

In my opinion, there's very little difference between so-called wireless charging and conventional charging, . You still need a wire. The Fatboy pillow charger etc, needs a wire. That means you are still restricted with regard to your chosen location of charging. There are no less wires. The phone doesn't suddenly charge ten times faster on a charging plate. What is the fuss about. I am all for improvement in technology in terms of enhancement of user experience.

Yes, we hope that one day, tube/ train arm rests, car dashboards or plane seats (for example) might have charging plates built-in, so we can charge whilst we're on the move. However, right now, it really does all seem like a bit of gimmickry

Maybe it's gimmnicky right now...
But many good things have started this way... It's a start and i'am looking foward to things to come..
In russia some cofe shops already have charging plates...

Also for me NFC seems pretty gimmnicky right now just like wireless charging... It just needs time...

nandesho

Nov 4, 2009
Houston
I think wireless charging is pretty pointless. But I think devices like that JBL speaker are cool! I really wish cars would have something like that.. Where you could just place your phone on the pad/plate/whatever and it was use NFC to negotiate a Bluetooth/WiFi connection and connect it to the cars entertainment WHILE charging. That would actually be an improvement over just plugging into a corded USB connection, since only music and files can be shared that way (not phone functionality).

Last edited:

Ikkari

Mar 18, 2009
I think wireless charging is pretty pointless. But I think devices like that JBL speaker are cool! I really wish cars would have something like that.. Where you could just place your phone on the pad/plate/whatever and it was use NFC to negotiate a Bluetooth/WiFi connection and connect it to the cars entertainment WHILE charging. That would actually be an improvement over just plugging into a corded USB connection, since only music and files can be shared that way (not phone functionality).

This is already possible to achieve with wireless charging, NFC and bluetooth...
But NFC and Wireless charging are pretty new.. it will take some years until such devices are market ready and enough people have this functions on their phones...

A USB port was nothing special to build it in in a car... but i took car manufacturer ages to do it... if there are enough people to find this helpful and useful it will get reality...

So no phones with wireless charging and NFC... No plates in coffee shops and cars... It was the same with most technologies...

I remember the time when WIFI was pretty useless in a laptop... because there where almost no wifi hotspots.. back then a lan port was essential...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can just put your phone down on the plate... and it will charge.. you
    don't need a ugly cable laying around your desk... and when your phone rings
    you can just grab it without thinking about taking of a cable because it's to short...

I near feature there will be charging plates in coffee shops and restaurants.. maybe trains and so on...

There is also this JBL Speaker with NFC and wireless charing.. you can just
    put your phone on it and it will charge and automatically connect via NFC and bluetooth...

For me wireless charing is not a must... but it is a nice feature to have...
    In near future there will be more possibilities with this technology....

Maybe in 6-7 years our smart phones will have a full blown OS like Windows 8... and a the power storage of a modern laptop... And your most of us won't need a desktop PC anymore...
    You just put down your phone on a connection plate... and it charges and connects to your 24" Monitor with a full blown OS....

Wireless charing is maybe a little bit a gimmick now... but big things start small... and innovation is driven by combining different technologies to create something new... and my opinion is... wireless charging will be very important in near feature...

It's all about to make your battery last without having to connect it every time to this stupid charger...

You could have a suitcase or a jacket with a extra battery and a "charging pocket" just slide in your smartphone in it's pocket and it could charge...