[SUPPORT THREAD] The Galaxy ~S5~ All in one support thread!**NOOB FRIENDLY**

Search This thread

davidgs

Jan 9, 2008
Does anyone know what does this notification icon to the left of the Wifi signal means?

0w0qSpk.jpg

Update: I just figured it out, it's the notification for NFC on, in case someone else was wondering. This icon is not in the S5 user manual.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

itz420

May 10, 2010
N with line thru it symbol

That stands for NFC.
What is NFC?

The clue is in the name: Near Field Communications. NFC is a set of standards for portable devices. It allows them to establish peer-to-peer radio communications, passing data from one device to another by touching them or putting them very close together. Get it? It's *communication* between *near* devices. (It doesn't require a field.)
NFC came out of RFID. RFID, or radio-frequency identification, is the technology used by shipping companies and in superstores to keep track of goods, it uses electromagnetic induction in order to transmit information. NFC is similar technology, but standardised for consumer smartphones. NFC standards are defined by a group called the NFC Forum, which includes Nokia, Sony and Philips.
In essence, if your phone has NFC as a feature it can be used to transfer data to other phones or to NFC readers.

works in conjunction with S beam and Wi-FI direct also which allows you to share the info with each other thru S Beam or wifi direct instead of touching the devices.

jlgreen531

Nov 7, 2008
Maybe stupid question, but I can't install the Google Now Launcher. It doesn't show up on the market, and web store says device is not compatible. Anyone know why this is?

Anyone also know how to remove the quick connect and s finder button on notification pull down?

Last edited:

itz420

May 10, 2010
Google Experience Now Launcher

I found these links. I will try them in a little bit, currently trying to cook rom for S5.

phonearena.com/news/How-to-get-the-new-Google-Now-launcher-on-any-Android-phone-or-tablet_id53279

trustedreviews.com/opinions/how-to-get-the-vanilla-android-interface-on-the-galaxy-s5

Maybe stupid question, but I can't install the Google Now Launcher. It doesn't show up on the market, and web store says device is not compatible. Anyone know why this is?

Anyone also know how to remove the quick connect and s finder button on notification pull down?

bnathan

May 27, 2006
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Can I flash the SM-G900I with a SM-G900F rom? I have bought an unlocked phone here in Australia and there is a few different variants being sol in Australia namely 900X and 900I so there cant be that much difference.

itz420

May 10, 2010
I do know the SM-G900I=Asia
SM-G900F=Europe
I do know that the generic specs are them same, But need to check and make sure all internals are the same. Like which cpu,gpu,ram,chipset,Etc.Theoretically it should if the internals are the same. Have posted a few links but I can not answer for sure.
I personally would wait if I were you, until confirmed from a reliable member.I have SM-G900A was just trying to help.

jawal123.com/-1067097681/en-us/samsung-sm-g900f-galaxy-s5

cromaretail.com/Samsung-Galaxy-S5-SM-G900I-GSM-Mobile-Phone-(Black)-pc-21486-95.aspx

androidpanel.com/samsung-galaxy-s5-specifications-release-date/

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S5

Can I flash the SM-G900I with a SM-G900F rom? I have bought an unlocked phone here in Australia and there is a few different variants being sol in Australia namely 900X and 900I so there cant be that much difference.

Br4nd3n

Sep 20, 2013
Any sign of a working root method and recovery being developed for the 900A?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Br4nd3n

Sep 20, 2013
Im sure philztouch recovery works, as for root I can make a flashable .zip to root.

Is there any official 900A method threads though? I can't seem to find any and I'd like to see people's responses before attempting and possibly bricking, especially on the first day it's out haha.

Ricky Divjakovski

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Feb 4, 2013
Sydney
Is there any official 900A method threads though? I can't seem to find any and I'd like to see people's responses before attempting and possibly bricking, especially on the first day it's out haha.

With recovery its almost impossible to brick.
flash recovery, backup, attempt root(if fails then restore) and thats all?

timrichardson

Mar 13, 2006
Melbourne
I've just got a Telstra (Australian) S5. I can't changes the voice on Google maps even though I've downloaded new speech files for both the Google and Samsung text to speech engines (and rebooted)

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

titooo7

Sep 29, 2010
London
Just for your information in case you didn't know.

I have been testing a little bit a Galaxy S5 in a UK store and it was the SM-G900X.

Br4nd3n

Sep 20, 2013
With recovery its almost impossible to brick.
flash recovery, backup, attempt root(if fails then restore) and thats all?

Alright sounds good, if you're willing to make a flashable root file for the 900A that'd be awesome, and I'd let you know of it'll work.

B1aze

Dec 28, 2011
Orlando, FL
Got my 900T the day before launch thanks to T-Mobile's super-fast shipping for pre-orders. Rooted it the next day with chainfire's files, and it's working like a charm. Even got XPosed up and running with no issues yet whatsoever. :)

bnathan

May 27, 2006
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold3
Has anyone worked out if the 900I and the 900F variants are the same? Can we flash a 900F ROM onto the 900I? Specifications seem to be exactly the same. Here in Australia the 900I has some limits imposed on it by Apple winning a legal battle with Samsung and things like the dock icons are not replaceable and the gallery rotation is disabled.

RS050377

Jun 4, 2012
I am coming from Galaxy S4 and could not find this on S5:

- Homescreen Shortcuts for settings
- quick check (glance view)
- widgets on lockscreen

Are this gone?

Top Liked Posts