Lumia 900 Battery Life

Search This thread

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
Its bound to come up.

For the week prior to the shipping of the pre-order units, conversations with AT&T reps were almost always the same. Love the phone, I moved from iPhone to this phone, its dam fast, the battery sucks.

I got my phone Friday morning around 10ish. I charged fully, went to AT&T to swap my chip over and I let the battery drain. Since then, the battery life is barely tolerable.

I use the same process all the time on all my phones. No charge until I go to bed at night...usually 11. I take it off the charge when I wake...usually 5ish. I read the news, etc for the next 20 minutes. I then go to work, charging until I get to work. I arrive at work around 7ish, with a full charge. And I go all day. Even on weekends I do this.

The Lumia 900 battery was not lasting through the day.

I go to plug in the phone last night, and I noticed its almost fully charged. I checked to see if this was my phone, which is stupid becase we only have 1 lumia.

So this morning, my usual routine, phone was fully charged and off the charger at 6:45. Its now 9:20, so ~2.5 hrs. The charge is at 98%. I know it gets better with time, but it usually takes a week or so....this is good news for battery hounds.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
Day 5:

6 hours off the charger

Tons of email and messages
about 1 hours of Peoples tab and Internet
2 15 minutes phone calls

Battery at 79%

Is that good?

Ok, finishing my 8 hr day, well, actually 9 hrs. Came in the door at 100%.

Phone Calls: 4 for a total of 1 hr.
Text/Messaging: Alot, in the hundreds.
Social/Internet viewing: about an hour.
Battery Charge out the door: 66%

I guess that works for me.

Last edited:

Seed 2.0

Oct 26, 2010
OH-IO
Everywhere I read says the battery types in our phones do not have memory and do not need primed. That said I was in panic mode yesterday when I picked it up from At$t. Phone stated it was at 15%, I drained it setting up the phone and finished it off with WPBench. It only took about 1.5 hours for it to say it was 100% charged with 1 day 15 hours till needing recharged. Once off the charger I made a call to my mom to see how I sounded. Call lasted about ~8 minutes. Once off the phone it said I had 79% charge left. This was around noon. I was able to make it to 830pm with 9% charge left, that's when I connected it to the charger.

Today, a full day of work, with an office inside a warehouse (horrible connection 1 bar'ish) I listen to music stored on phone via the phone's speaker at level 1 (same as level 10 on my Focus) for 8+ hours and played Wordament a few times and had about 30 emails, 17 text messages. I have 3 active background tasks, and 18 advance background task. I'm home now with 23% (2 hours remaining, 11 hours since last charge) charge remaining. All %'s and time is from the battery saver tab of the phone.

I'm still undecided on the phone's battery life. I suspect that a firmware update may be needed like the 800 to fix the accuracy of battery meter on the NL900.

I would like to hear from others and to see this become a thread in progress to help decide if the phone is displaying the correct information concerning the battery.

P.S> Turned phone off and back on, it now states 32% remaining (4 hours). I think the phone will need a firmware update to stabilize the battery meter.

Last edited:

ragingclue

Nov 9, 2008
It goes through the same routine as my Surround, and so far today, and my battery is at 61% where my Surround would have been <30%. Whether it was just old, bad hardware, whatever... My Surround had terrible battery life. This phone is much better by comparison, which exceeds my expectations.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
It goes through the same routine as my Surround, and so far today, and my battery is at 61% where my Surround would have been <30%. Whether it was just old, bad hardware, whatever... My Surround had terrible battery life. This phone is much better by comparison, which exceeds my expectations.

Good plan...better than my last phone, Check! End of Checklist.

Lmuggs

Jul 4, 2007
I have noticed that the battery life is no where near what I expected based on all the reviews and threads I am reading about it being great. I hope it gets better over time given that its only 4 days old.

I charged the phone fully overnight and took it off the charger at 9AM. I have taken a short 5 minute call, sent a few texts, 10 minutes of browsing the web. I have 2 email accounts set to push (outlook and gmail), bluetooth off, wifi on, signal is a little weak in the house so I'm sure that diminishes the battery some due to the radio having to poll for the signal all the time. As of right now I am at 11%. That's 8.5 hours of minimal use.

One thing I noticed is that I do see, when viewing the Battery Status page in the diagnostics tool, the current discharge seems to get pretty high without touching the phone. It will go from 100 mA to approx 600 mA, hover around 300 then back down to 100 mA and repeat this cycle over and over.

Can it be that push is not set up correctly with Gmail? On the iPhone I remember having to set it up as an additional exchange account to get push to work correctly.

Reactions: slojko

provenflipper

Apr 15, 2010
Coming from the iPhone 4S, I'm getting less battery with the Lumia. I'm fairly certain it has to do with my phone swapping from 4G to LTE all day long while I'm at work, even though when I have LTE reception its full bars. Hopefully a firmware update comes out that will either fix this issue or let me turn off LTE entirely.

Reactions: geekaren

go0gle

Mar 15, 2010
Santa Cruz, CA
Coming from the iPhone 4S, I'm getting less battery with the Lumia. I'm fairly certain it has to do with my phone swapping from 4G to LTE all day long while I'm at work, even though when I have LTE reception its full bars. Hopefully a firmware update comes out that will either fix this issue or let me turn off LTE entirely.

LTE can't be switched off manually ? I assume its a similar situation with GSM/HSDPA switching up all the time.. it drains my battery as well, so that is why I keep it locked on either EDGE or HSDPA. There should be an option to turn off LTE if you don't need it, especially considering AT&T's LTE coverage isn't all that good yet.

Lmuggs

Jul 4, 2007

I think that's my issue as well. At home for some reason I get a very weak signal (1 bar of 4G) and I think its burning a lot of juice trying to maintain the signal. About a mile away from the house I get full bars on LTE.

chivamex10

Mar 6, 2012
I am loving the battery life on the lumia.

Then again I was using the skyrocket before this..

I've used both my 4s and lumia today.

iPhone's at 63%
Lumia's at 70%

The only thing that kills my battery is internet sharing (duh).

fleon888

Feb 13, 2011
My Lumia is clearly having issues with battery calibration- could someone help me out with a test?

With all my other Windows Phones, if the battery runs down, the phone gracefully goes to about 2-4% (as shown in battery saver) and displays "goodbye" and shuts off. This is what is supposed to happen. With my Lumia 900, it goes to 0% and I get about another 30 minutes or so of heavy usage (in my case, streaming video/downloading apps/etc). The Lumia then just shuts off. No "goodbye", just straight to black and needs to be plugged in.

Can someone run the battery out on their 900 and tell me if they get a graceful shutdown or not? Clearly, my battery is showing much more depletion than actually exists, and I'd like to see if this is unique to me.

Thanks!

DarkSi08

May 20, 2009
My Lumia is clearly having issues with battery calibration- could someone help me out with a test?

With all my other Windows Phones, if the battery runs down, the phone gracefully goes to about 2-4% (as shown in battery saver) and displays "goodbye" and shuts off. This is what is supposed to happen. With my Lumia 900, it goes to 0% and I get about another 30 minutes or so of heavy usage (in my case, streaming video/downloading apps/etc). The Lumia then just shuts off. No "goodbye", just straight to black and needs to be plugged in.

Can someone run the battery out on their 900 and tell me if they get a graceful shutdown or not? Clearly, my battery is showing much more depletion than actually exists, and I'd like to see if this is unique to me.

Thanks!

I ran down my Lumia last night, and it did NOT do a graceful shutdown.

For the record, I think my battery life has been fantastic. Yesterday was day 2 for me, so I've still been playing with the phone constantly. My phone was removed from the charger at 7:30am, played with non-stop, (easily 4-5 hours of screen-on time, I'd estimate,) played about 2 hours of light gaming (words by post and doodle god,) and just short of 2 and a half hours of meetings over bluetooth. My phone didn't die until just after 11:00 last night.

Once my usage evens back out, I don't think I'll have any problem at all getting 2 days out of the phone.

For reference, my GSM Galaxy Nexus would have died in the same amount of time under normal (pretty light) use. My Lumia has been doing double-duty, as I'm usually using my Kindle Fire for bathroom breaks, and I've been using the Lumia in there, as well... So, I'm impressed.

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
I ran down my Lumia last night, and it did NOT do a graceful shutdown.

For the record, I think my battery life has been fantastic. Yesterday was day 2 for me, so I've still been playing with the phone constantly. My phone was removed from the charger at 7:30am, played with non-stop, (easily 4-5 hours of screen-on time, I'd estimate,) played about 2 hours of light gaming (words by post and doodle god,) and just short of 2 and a half hours of meetings over bluetooth. My phone didn't die until just after 11:00 last night.

Once my usage evens back out, I don't think I'll have any problem at all getting 2 days out of the phone.

For reference, my GSM Galaxy Nexus would have died in the same amount of time under normal (pretty light) use. My Lumia has been doing double-duty, as I'm usually using my Kindle Fire for bathroom breaks, and I've been using the Lumia in there, as well... So, I'm impressed.

doesn't the verge give that nexus god status? If so, you're blaspheming. Bravo on the battery life!

Jigganaughty

Mar 4, 2008
I happened to have been at the store to pick up some corporate devices. We're mostly an iOS shop with some Androids and Blackberries in between. I'm probably the only person that has a Windows Phone 7 device. Anyway, while I was there, I happened to bump into the Nokia rep for the store so we chatted for a bit and we discussed the device and what I like and don't like about it. He informed me that in order for the Lumia to get a full charge, you need to use the charger that came with it. Specially for the first 5-6 times. It apparently outputs at a different wattage then most charging devices and that any other charger will only charge the battery to around 70% even though it would show it at 100 on the screen. The Lumia charger will also bring the 900 to 90% charge from a dead battery state in about an hour.

For those experiencing the dismal battery life try charging with the Lumia charger instead of your other chargers. I was doing the same thing since I had tons of micro-usb chargers from my other device. I'm going to try now to see if what he was saying is true. YMMV

Reactions: geekaren

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
I happened to have been at the store to pick up some corporate devices. We're mostly an iOS shop with some Androids and Blackberries in between. I'm probably the only person that has a Windows Phone 7 device. Anyway, while I was there, I happened to bump into the Nokia rep for the store so we chatted for a bit and we discussed the device and what I like and don't like about it. He informed me that in order for the Lumia to get a full charge, you need to use the charger that came with it. Specially for the first 5-6 times. It apparently outputs at a different wattage then most charging devices and that any other charger will only charge the battery to around 70% even though it would show it at 100 on the screen. The Lumia charger will also bring the 900 to 90% charge from a dead battery state in about an hour.

For those experiencing the dismal battery life try charging with the Lumia charger instead of your other chargers. I was doing the same thing since I had tons of micro-usb chargers from my other device. I'm going to try now to see if what he was saying is true. YMMV

This is true with WP7 devices across the board, and especially true with Mango devices. Using the $1.95 amazon throw in car charger, doesn't seem to work.

I've been able to successly use the Dell Venue Pro and the Samsung charger interchangibly with all my devices with the same impact. Amazon special...not so much.

The Nokia's rep was a standard CYA response they always give, but in this case its pretty true. At the very least check the outputs on the charger you are using and insure its equal or better than the Nokia/Samsung ones.

Good Call out.

keti2

Apr 12, 2012
The Lumia Battery life probably drained faster than other phone because of its 4G - LTE capabilities. I actually have a blackberry and I usually used it for 2 days without charge. I now switch to Lumia and have the same difficulties to maintain the phone's battery life to maximum. I have been playing with my phones for several days and it last up till 7 p.m with 2 hours of browsing. 20 texts and emails, and also playing games for 1 hour and a phone call for about an hour.

rohitgarewal

Mar 3, 2009
I have an interesting perspective. I got the phone on Friday, and fully charged overnight. Saturday the phone lasted about 15 hours before it drained. I'm now traveling in Brasil, and yesterday after 15 hours I had 48% left. The big difference here is in Brasil there is no LTE, so I'm roaming on regular data, but used the phone for a lot of emails and texts.

I'm happy so far with the batter!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have noticed that the battery life is no where near what I expected based on all the reviews and threads I am reading about it being great. I hope it gets better over time given that its only 4 days old.

I charged the phone fully overnight and took it off the charger at 9AM. I have taken a short 5 minute call, sent a few texts, 10 minutes of browsing the web. I have 2 email accounts set to push (outlook and gmail), bluetooth off, wifi on, signal is a little weak in the house so I'm sure that diminishes the battery some due to the radio having to poll for the signal all the time. As of right now I am at 11%. That's 8.5 hours of minimal use.

One thing I noticed is that I do see, when viewing the Battery Status page in the diagnostics tool, the current discharge seems to get pretty high without touching the phone. It will go from 100 mA to approx 600 mA, hover around 300 then back down to 100 mA and repeat this cycle over and over.

Can it be that push is not set up correctly with Gmail? On the iPhone I remember having to set it up as an additional exchange account to get push to work correctly.

Do you guys know if Nokia Drive will run in the background and eat up battery?

Navigation apps on iPhones will eat up the battery in the background.
    Well as it uses offline maps, only thing running is GPS. And if you have location already turned on, GPS is active. So, probably not.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express
    Being puzzled by the change in battery life, I took the plunge and did a full reset on the phone. I then recreated my email account (one exchange, one Hotmail both setup to download mail every 30min), connected to windows life but did not setup or use any app. I’m still using that microcell in my office and have wifi turned on.
    The battery diagnostic consistently showed around 95 mA which should equal to about 20 hours on a charge.
    Then I tried to take a picture and the phone requested to turn location on. I did that and the battery discharge current – was back consistently to the 350-400 mA.
    Turning location back off brought the discharge rate back down to 95 mA.
    I had tried turning off the location service before doing a full reset but it didn’t help. Could this mean that some apps use it even if it’s off?
    My plan is to start re-installing one app at a time and keep monitoring the battery to see if I can find a clear culprit.

Go for it man....:p

I've done this too, though not on this device....but I learned exactly what you are intending to find out.

First, there are indeed system combinations that play better together. Period.
    There are comibinations that once turned on, are very difficult, if not impossible to turn off.

The same is true for apps. There are some wonderful apps out there. There are some horrible apps out there. But, again, some of these apps, in combination with the system have varying degrees of 'efficency'.

This part really makes me laugh though. People downgrade windows phone because of the size of the marketplace. You can't put 450k apps on your phone. You find the app that works for you, and you continually use it. This is demonstrated everyday by various comments, usually by newbs, here and on various forums.

My 'research' told me:
    • load only the apps you use regularly
    • do pay attention to data use
    • do pay attention to battery life
    • be aware what each app uses. Location is used by alot of apps and does use alot of power
    • Free apps use alot of battery life because of the ads. There are some nice articles talking about battery life and ads in apps across all platforms. DO NOT IGNORE THIS.
    • Uninstalling an app does not always reset the system back tothe way it was.
    • Sometimes ONLY a factory reset will reset your system correctly.
    • Consider using Reinstaller to pick and choose your apps. It makes the ability to hard reset easy to stomach.
    • Use the cloud for your pictures and docs. This makes having to hard reset a little easier to stomach

Another thing, monitor the amount of LIve tiles you actually use. I recall this being an issue when the first v1 phones came out. I can't imagine the issue went away. Microsoft tried to choose a balance between the amount of information you might want to see vs. the impact on battery life. Most people ignored the part about battery life...and insisted on dozens of live tiles.

Anyway, share what you find out. We can all use that information...and whenyou find an app that devours battery...make sure you put that in the app review...others need to know this...

Good luck.