Magnetic Sensor (Compass) is erratic

Search This thread

nick2k

Feb 26, 2010
I think my Magnetic Sensor is off. Try downloading a program called "Marine Compass" onto your Note 2. On my device, it doesn't stay on one heading. It bounces back and forth by 1 unit. I installed the same program on my SGSIII. On the SGSIII it is stable.

I entered the debug/test mode on both the Note 2 and the SGSIII. I ran the sensor test on both units. The Note 2 seems to be more sensitive than the other. Whats also weird is the "Lux" meter. It's in the hundreds on the SGSIII, while it's barely 10 on the Note 2.

Anyone else notice this on their Note 2 unit?

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

jetsilver2002

Jan 10, 2012
I too have the note II and GSIII, and the compass is jumpy on the note II while on the GSIII it's stable.

boodies

Mar 3, 2010
odd, my compass seems to be fine. doesn't the gps nav need compass to work correctly? i use gps all the time and it's a real blessing lol

koyanishi

Apr 23, 2010
Texas
odd, my compass seems to be fine. doesn't the gps nav need compass to work correctly? i use gps all the time and it's a real blessing lol

when in motion the gps device does not use compass to tell the direction of travel. if the device is accurate then the direction or motion will be very accurate as well as the speed.

when motionless the gps device cannot tell what direction the device is facing and so some gps devices will use a compass sensor for this purpose.

that being said - I too have both SGS iii and the Note ii and noticed the same thing - that the Note ii north pointing needle is jumpy and it is not accurate.

there is a low wall in my back yard that is aligned almost exactly north south and using the Google sky map with SGS III the north star is perfectly aligned with the Google sky map. With the Note II, the north star and sky map not so much.

Last edited:

nick2k

Feb 26, 2010
that video...LOL. but seriously a problem. i hope this is fixable with a software update. this issue makes me wish i didn't give up my Galaxy S III. this is almost as annoying as 'drifting' on an XBOX 360 controller due to an analog stick.

V@no

Sep 24, 2007
that video...LOL. but seriously a problem. i hope this is fixable with a software update. this issue makes me wish i didn't give up my Galaxy S III. this is almost as annoying as 'drifting' on an XBOX 360 controller due to an analog stick.

Actually GS3 has the same issue, but it's not as bad though. And in my test's it would be little erratic only every other time, on N2 it's constant.

koyanishi

Apr 23, 2010
Texas
I noticed this when I open up google maps and I'm not moving, the arrow for me is always pointing about 30-45 degrees off

really?

I doubt that google maps uses the compass to tell direction while you are standing still. On my devices the arrow point is completely off whilst the device is at rest.

As I pointed out in post #5, a gps receiver cannot tell direction whilst it is not in motion and the fact that the direction while the device is not moving is inaccurate indicates that google maps does not use the compass, at all, to tell direction.

Last edited:

sunglint

Feb 18, 2008
Houston
I hate how useless the compass is. I haven't tried any of the satellite or skymap apps, but ingress jumps around erratically. A friend with an AT&T phone has the same issue. Really sucks that such a great phone has such a glaring failure.

V@no

Sep 24, 2007
Hmmm (if you freeze stuff with TiB, make sure lcdtest is not frozen), open phone and dial:
*#0*#
It should show bunch of different buttons, go to sensor, and start rotating phone in x, y and z axis until circle on the bottom start showing 3 with blue line (it was 0 with red line first time I entered there).
After that it seems compass become much more stable and accurate, at least for a while.

my compass is off by about 15degrees. this is my third note2. my first two were exchanged because the roll axis was off by about 6degrees, making racing games really annoying.
I have another 2 days in my 30 day return window. I think I'm going to exchange again.

koyanishi

Apr 23, 2010
Texas
my compass is off by about 15degrees. this is my third note2. my first two were exchanged because the roll axis was off by about 6degrees, making racing games really annoying.
I have another 2 days in my 30 day return window. I think I'm going to exchange again.

did you try the fix shown in post previous to yours?

if you do try it - you get out of that screen by pushing the back button

Onemoa

Oct 1, 2010
Ewa Beach
Mine seems to be working fine. I turn off gps and set the compass to use magnetic only and it seems to be ok.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

Lodd

Aug 19, 2008
I had the same problem for weeks.
I think I've finally found a fix for this. You have to be rooted.

1. Go to /data/misc/akmd_set.txt
2. Change permissions to -rw-rw-rw (or chmod 666)

Apparently the compass saves calibration values here. Because "system" doesn't have write access, every time you calibrate, it wont get saved.
Giving these permissions allows the compass to calibrate properly.

Results so far:
1. Compass finally works perfectly after calibrating.
2. Effects stay after a reboot.

(please hit thanks if this helped you!)

langas

Jun 22, 2011

Apparently the compass saves calibration values here. Because "system" doesn't have write access, every time you calibrate, it wont get saved.

Results so far:

Please, could you clarify? :confused: I can not find this file with root explorer. The folders are present, but not the .txt file.
Thanks!

bbbobbbo

Sep 5, 2007
Bucharest
Hmmm (if you freeze stuff with TiB, make sure lcdtest is not frozen), open phone and dial:
*#0*#
It should show bunch of different buttons, go to sensor, and start rotating phone in x, y and z axis until circle on the bottom start showing 3 with blue line (it was 0 with red line first time I entered there).
After that it seems compass become much more stable and accurate, at least for a while.

I don't know how to thank you enough for this, and it's working even on a note 3 I thought it had a faulty magnetic sensor. Did what you suggested and now it really is stable and accurate. :good::good::good:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Results so far: