Needs USB OTG with Charging?

Search This thread

Hdale85

Oct 9, 2011
So I'm using one of the kitkat roms and I can't seem to get USB OTG and USB charging to work at the same time? Is this just not possible? Or do I need to do something special? I bought one of the OTG Y cables that allows the hookup of a charger and a USB device and it's still no go, it'll show it's charging for a minute or so after a USB device is mounted but then the charging icon goes away?

Someone had mentioned to me that a custom kernel may be needed?

Last edited:

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Any documentation around on how to build this kernel to do what I need?

Look in my signature for a guide. For the specifics, you will need to find a kernel on github that has what you are looking for and port it to your build. My roll your own kernel guide will get you started. You will need a partition with Debian Linux to complete the guide. I suggest AntiX.

Hdale85

Oct 9, 2011
Look in my signature for a guide. For the specifics, you will need to find a kernel on github that has what you are looking for and port it to your build. My roll your own kernel guide will get you started. You will need a partition with Debian Linux to complete the guide. I suggest AntiX.

Can it be a kernel from another device? or does it need to be similar?

Also how about Ubuntu? I'm familiar with Ubuntu, but I'll look at AntiX

From what I gather I only need USB host mode so that the USB port is not outputting power.

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Can it be a kernel from another device? or does it need to be similar?

Also how about Ubuntu? I'm familiar with Ubuntu, but I'll look at AntiX

From what I gather I only need USB host mode so that the USB port is not outputting power.

Ubuntu should work, though the names of the dependencies might be off. Easier to just partition off and install Antix. Damn good distro. I went with stable for the guide, but you can easily switch later to testing or unstable by changing up the sources list.

For what you need, you may find it as an option when adjusting the menuconfig during the make process.

The second post in the thread tells a bit about changes necessary for the 500 device, as I originally made the guide for the 510.

There are currently two other kernels for the 500 that were successfully made using the guide. One of them also has a decent install through recovery script

Hdale85

Oct 9, 2011
Ubuntu should work, though the names of the dependencies might be off. Easier to just partition off and install Antix. Damn good distro. I went with stable for the guide, but you can easily switch later to testing or unstable by changing up the sources list.

For what you need, you may find it as an option when adjusting the menuconfig during the make process.

The second post in the thread tells a bit about changes necessary for the 500 device, as I originally made the guide for the 510.

There are currently two other kernels for the 500 that were successfully made using the guide. One of them also has a decent install through recovery script

What's the difference between the 500 and 510?

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
What's the difference between the 500 and 510?

The 510 is the Google play edition, whereas the 500 is the lg version. If you didn't buy it through the play store, you have the 500.

The best way to learn would be to follow the guide all the way through, copy and paste, and then figure out what you are doing while you are doing it!

Also, this should be posted in the questions thread rather than development if a moderator would be so kind to move this post.

Hdale85

Oct 9, 2011
Oh ok the 510 is the google play edition. Either kernel should work right? They are the same device... I'm not running the stock rom as I wanted a basic 4.4 rom as this is eventually going in my car.

Hdale85

Oct 9, 2011
Well you posted right before me lol, but I made the post here because I know there are a couple other people looking for the same thing so I was hoping we could develop a kernel for everyone.

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
Oh ok the 510 is the google play edition. Either kernel should work right? They are the same device... I'm not running the stock rom as I wanted a basic 4.4 rom as this is eventually going in my car.

Unfortunately no, there are some differences, mostly with naming, but that can be important.

There are two parts to the boot image for our device, the ramdisk, and the kernel itself. The ramdisk plays a key roll in deciding certain options for the device, while the kernel controls more common options you may find on any device.

Most of the install from recovery scripts, repack the kernel zimage with the existing ramdisk from the device. But this doesn't really matter either.

All of the multi device kernels tend to be larger than necessary and have problems they shouldn't.

Long story short is that each device has it's own kernel source, which has supposedly been optimized for its device. This isn't exactly true, and the list of changes I've made to better the 510 device's kernel is astounding.

If you follow my guide, all of this will become apparent.

Hdale85

Oct 9, 2011
So what makes the510 different?? Is the firmware different? Obviously they didn't change the hardware so could one somehow convert the 500 to a 510? Only reason I'm interested is because some of that stuff you said doesn't work on the 500 it seems? Such as fastboot?

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com
So what makes the510 different?? Is the firmware different? Obviously they didn't change the hardware so could one somehow convert the 500 to a 510? Only reason I'm interested is because some of that stuff you said doesn't work on the 500 it seems? Such as fastboot?

Lg specific drivers mostly. Fastboot requires an unlocked boot loader, which the V500 does not have. An exploit is used to bypass the boot loader on the 500. Loki.
The gpe is pure android, with just a couple of perks thrown in, as it uses an Lg platforms. Our device , that being the V510 most closely resembles the Nexus 4 (Mako) version, and was probably based off that device. The items I have added to the 510 kernel as enhancements, mostly came from a mako kernel with the rest simply being tweak corrections to the existing source code.
Those changes alone made huge improvements in performance and battery.

Hdale85

Oct 9, 2011
Lg specific drivers mostly. Fastboot requires an unlocked boot loader, which the V500 does not have. An exploit is used to bypass the boot loader on the 500. Loki.
The gpe is pure android, with just a couple of perks thrown in, as it uses an Lg platforms. Our device , that being the V510 most closely resembles the Nexus 4 (Mako) version, and was probably based off that device. The items I have added to the 510 kernel as enhancements, mostly came from a mako kernel with the rest simply being tweak corrections to the existing source code.
Those changes alone made huge improvements in performance and battery.

Yea I just found the long thread about converting, its strange they can't seem to get it to work? Quite strange... Well I'll have to research the other bits I guess from others that have made V500 kernels or something.

sleekmason

Dec 22, 2013
Fayetteville
sleekmason.wordpress.com

Hdale85

Oct 9, 2011
Indeed! :fingers-crossed:

I'm going to take a stab at a custom kernel, but I have to setup linux on my desktop again so I'm not sure when I'll get around to it lol. Might be able to this week sometime.

If I can't get USB Host mode with charging enabled I'm going to have to look into a wireless HD solution or something, and even then that won't fix the setup I wanted to use for high end sound.

Reactions: treetop777

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Indeed! :fingers-crossed:

I'm going to take a stab at a custom kernel, but I have to setup linux on my desktop again so I'm not sure when I'll get around to it lol. Might be able to this week sometime.

If I can't get USB Host mode with charging enabled I'm going to have to look into a wireless HD solution or something, and even then that won't fix the setup I wanted to use for high end sound.